Zombie 510 Experiment

View and post your 510 project(s)
djfootball

Re: Zombie 510 Resurrection

Post by djfootball »

okayfine wrote:
Now, where'd that picture of the wagon come from?
Sorry. Deleted that photo as I didn't have the right to post it.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

okayfine wrote:Yeah. That open rocker means the whole inside, all down the side, is rusty. That's why I suggested poking around with something sharp.
I'll do it and start concentrating on the low points. Maybe I'll detach the rear axel and suspension and post more photos at the mounting points after I clean up the areas a bit. Looks like I'm leaning towards putting this shell aside and keeping the parts and engine from it.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

Where are you located? People keep saying east coast? Put it in your profile.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

okayfine wrote:
Given the state of the body, IMO you'll never get that smooth again. You can bead/sandblast it all you want (though I'd strongly suggest research on media so you use the right stuff - the wrong stuff will just blow holes in what's left of the "metal"), but you're going to be left with the equivalent of the surface of a basketball.
I sanded down my hood a while back to see what it was going to do and yes. That's exactly what the end product looked like.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

HudsonMC wrote:Where are you located? People keep saying east coast? Put it in your profile.

Done. Location = North Carolina
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Cool, Where in N.C.? I live in Waxhaw, went to H.S. in Asheville.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

BINGO! i'm in Asheville !
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

What HS?
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

AHS, '91. Planning to spend Thanksgiving there with my wife for my 10-year anniversary. Downtown hotels are spendy now-days!
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

You could possibly find a bed and breakfast for the same price. . . $0.02
Let me know if you wanna swing by and see my $hit hole of a project for your anniversary. lol.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Maybe I can convince my wife to let me drive my 510.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

I've never seen one in real life all fixed up.
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

OK NOW! -this is where I step in. Brad (S15DET) has just been given an official invite to stay with us - a downstairs suite with great views of the mountains, a great master bedroom for "mamma and pappa" - plus a big plasma-screen/dvd playroom adjacent where we put down sleeping pads for a dozen+ kids sleepovers!

DJfootball is INDEED a fellow who does not speak much of his skills - but I can tell you all that he's understated!

I um... "sold" him this rusty shell and take full responsiblity. I agree with the "$5k driver ..... work on it... much better investement" advice of the Cali boys, but must also point out that east coast vs. west coast rust perspectives differ. That said- I will take care of our Bro!

Ha! I'm now afraid that the shell I should have scrapped is going to be more work than ever, now that a DECENT fellow has it and wishes to make it into a driver.

So, IMHO "we" can make the shell solid for neglible money. NOTHING like the $5k that has been bantered about. I have parts and stuff... A single seat.. a few L20b's...a couple zx 5-spds...but like all of us...I've paid money and driven all over creation to aquire them and I HOPE I have a few more Datsun projects in me before I die so I want to keep some of my stuff just in case. But I've done my level best to supply Bro and point him in the right direction.. As in...I have done this before a few times with 510's and I agree its a LOT of work but can be done with the proper tools and shop, which I have built and proven capable.

I move slow, but my work speaks for itself.

-Josh
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

[/quote]
Roger that. Everyone here wants another 510 on the road. I personally don't want to see you drop $10,000 on a rusty rust when you could be motoring in style next week for half that. If you are actually looking at it as a trasher/one-seat-no-interior type of deal, that's completely different.[/quote]

Um,,, let's keep in mind that DJ has a shell with front and rear glass, two doors with glass, ONE (I could only find one) rear side glass, a free-turning L16, an auto tranny that's scrap, a set of manual pedals, a carb, lights, lenses for about 3 cars, front grille and lower stainless, DELIVERY of said shell to his house from mine with my truck and trailer, about 6 hours of my time, free use (and loading) of my engine hoist and an open offer to help with welding patch panels, my MIG and TIG machines and experience, my metal brake, horizontal and vertical metal-cutting band saws, metal shears, Bridgeport Mill and Hardinge lathe, full-bay paint booth - all of which I built myself...

-and not to breach privacy...but he's "in" for less than 1/3 of 1/10 of the $10,000 figure that is cited above... I think he may do okay.. or at the very least... I'm not worried about him getting taken to the cleaners.
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

HudsonMC wrote: You also need doors, trunk, hood, a full interior. You basically need an entire second car worth of parts to resurrect this one. Many people buy two 510s to start with. It makes sense to have a parts car. Trust me. Make this car your parts car. Find another solid shell with all the parts you need and no rust.
Included doors, trunk, and hood... but not full interior. Solid shells with no rust cost more than $200 around here and are difficult to find. I remember the days when it cost $300 to transport a car across the country.. now it's more like $900 due mainly to fuel costs I guess.

We may be "disadvantaged" here on the East Coast, but it encourages "creativity" and fabrication.... I can do quite a bit with that $600, my welder, and fresh sheet steel.

I really DO completely agree with finding the rust free start point. I've had a few, and they are so much easier... But for myself..and Datsuns...I still move forward with what I've got. It's worked out well so far. Damn! these 510s are fun to drive