Zombie 510 Experiment

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Zombie 510 Experiment

Post by okayfine »

S15DET wrote:Interesting about that brace in the square tube.
Should be the blind nuts for the sway bar bolts.

OP, what exactly are you intending to brace/replace with the 4" tubes?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
indy510

Post by indy510 »

2x2" square tubing is "almost" the same size as the stock frame rail in the front .... but square tubing doesn't work well with the "folded seam" built 510

none of the metal is thick enough to call structural. ... . so you woulld need to make the ends of your frame rails strong enough with plates and boxed in areas,, but by then you might as well "re-build" exactly what was there stock (because that's one of the more structural pieces on a 510)

look at what this guy did: .. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38500 ... ge__st__60 ... this is for intercooler room though, but similar idea to tie into the top of the frame rails

Last edited by indy510 on 24 Oct 2012 12:41, edited 2 times in total.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

I'm basically trying to replace this piece with a piece of 4" or 3" square tube steel.

indy510

Post by indy510 »

use 2x2" tubing .... . I think that's what the guy used in the above pics or 1-1/2" x 2"..... my "frame" rails are 2x2" 0.065 16 gauge (really thin/light/weak) .. :lol:

djfootball

Post by djfootball »

indy510 wrote: look at what this guy did: ..

That is truly tits and and great information. Looks like I may need to pick up some 2x4 or 2x2 steel.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If you can get a recommendation for a local, hobbyist-friendly steel shop, that will help you now and in the future. A lot of steel stores operate for industry - big orders faxed in with purchase numbers. A little guy walks in and need 6' of 2x2 box...that's great, come back Friday.

A hobbyist-oriented steel store will also do industrial supply, but you can walk in, browse their selection, request the size and length of material you need and they'll cut it for you then and there. Sometimes there's a cutting fee, sometimes there isn't, but IME when there is it is something like 2.5-5% of the total. Planning ahead can get them to cut stuff for you at lengths that work for you, but they're still much happier cutting the least possible.

You can wander into your local steel stores and get a quick idea what they're geared toward, but a recommendation will make it quicker.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

I found a local "small" steel shop that has an organized scrap section and they let me browse and pick what I need and since its scrap, there's no cut fee. I also had a friend today just give me 3 sticks of 2" square tube. It looks pretty thick and I'm thinking it could be overkill.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, .120 wall is a bit much. But sometimes free is good.
James

Post by James »

okayfine wrote:Yeah, .120 wall is a bit much. But sometimes free is good.
Sometimes....key word. That car could use all the rigidity it can get. I like how you are approaching this so far. Curious to see where it ends up......
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

.120" to .03" just means the 22ga he welds it to will fail first.

But I'm with you, nothing to lose.
James

Post by James »

I was kidding with the rigidity comment. Free bar that fits on that car is a go in my book.....
Finished is better than perfect......
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Thanks guys I'm going to move forward with the .120 for this.

I've also found a 510 shell that has the front end smashed that a guy wants to sell me. I'm thinking about checking it out to see if I might be able to cut out some pieces for my rusty non-crashed shell. Unfortunately he wants $450 for it! I wont buy it unless I can get it for $100.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

If it includes more parts (interior stuff, trim, lights, suspension) $450 may not be all that far off. If it's just a bare shell, I dunno, whatever it's worth as scrap.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

It comes with parts.. . door panels! , glass, nice floor pans, auto trans, I'm still debating on how much I can spend on it though.

djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Oh wait. does anyone know if 4dr panels will work on my 2dr? If not, door panels are not a big deal to me.