bugzilla's 71 510 4 door V8 conversion project pics added

View and post your 510 project(s)
62 bugzilla

bugzilla's 71 510 4 door V8 conversion project pics added

Post by 62 bugzilla »

This is the start of a long journey to finish my V8 conversion in my 510 that was put on the back burner for 13 years do to another project car, kids and many other life challenges. If you want more of the story look at my introduction page.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24693

My goal is to build a great performing car in most aspects . I want it to be fast which is what it was lacking before. Keep the handling ability it had before and towards the end of this I also want to upgrade the brakes more than they are already. This is not going to be a perfect show peice since I'm going to drive the hell out of it and don't want to worry about rock chips and polishing parts on my off time. (i've had show peices and there fun but not for this car not meaning 510's but my car)
I'm not saying I don't want it nice, painted or have a clean look I'm saying I'm not striping the car down to nothing and starting over I'm building a driver/racer. The interior will be pretty race car with a small stereo for longer drives but will be pretty plain as far as glitz. The outside was painted 17 years ago and is holding up ok and would do it different today but going to leave it for now. This thread will be about phase 1 of getting it back on the road and I'm sure it will have many other threads after.

Well my car now is a roller with lots already done to it from back in the 90's and the V8 conversion was started just before I got sidetracked.I put in a complete 1 5/8 tig welded chromoly cage front to rear. I also did most of the firewall set back including the trans. tunnel. (need to finish the upper section of the fire wall by wiper area which is the hardest to seal off right and it's on my list) Installed a simple aluminum dash and steering shaft along with kirkey race seats. Was able to keep the back seats which are harder to get into with the cage but still usable mainly for my 2 kids. Also changed the wheels to 17/7 front and 17/8 rear with 215 and 235 tires.

I work on the car right now on tuesdays and thursdays in the evening and it's been hard latelyto make it both days so it takes a while to get stuff done but it's picking up speed.

Last week I got my fuel tank which is off ebay made by no joke big dick racing BD for short and is 30" long 17" wide and 7" deep. and is 17 gallons and has a sender in it and made of aluminum. I looked for a while to find the right size and was going to get a steel can circle track 22 gallon and put a sender in it but didn't like that they are 11" deep and would stick out bottom of car pretty far unless I raised it up in car and at 34" wide made it tight for dual exhaust mufflers in the rear to fit next to it. This tank should fit well in place.
It has no mounting brackets on so intead of making a steel tube frame under it to hold it I'm going to weld a flange around the hole outside to suspend it from. It will sit up about 1/2" above floor to clear carpet. I cut out the spare tire area which it pretty big and will be building the metal frame for take mount out of 1" square stock and sheeting the top of that with flat steel. Will make the run to steel yard this week and thats about up to date. Here's some pics of the car now and it's allittle dusty which happens fast in a shop and a freind is restoring a bmw iseta 3 door which is in rust removal mode right now. Very sorry about pics I took them with my phone but will bring a real camera next time.

This is the first time doing a thread for a project and will have to learn along the way but have always enjoyed other people posts that I thought I would give it a shot.
Attachments
510 fuel tank.jpg
510 fuel tank.jpg (4.63 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
rear 510.jpg
rear 510.jpg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
side pass front 510.jpg
side pass front 510.jpg (6.04 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
Last edited by 62 bugzilla on 06 Dec 2012 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
Sleepys-14

Re: bugzilla's 71 510 4 door V8 conversion project

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Thats one hell of a paint scheme! And those wheels! I need to see this in person.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

sounds good sleepy. It's was painted along time ago and I would do it different now but it is what it is. :o I'm sure I'll be painting it at some point. It's funny how a persons tastes change with times. I wish now I just liked simple black or white back then. :D
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

Took the fuel tank to a freinds today to get a aluminum flange welded all the way around it so I can mount it in the trunk with about 1" sticking up from the floor. (when I put in the carpet in a thin panel in should be around a 1/2") I'm going to metal yard this weekend to get the steel for trunk bracing , mounting and floor sheeting. Ordering a 115 gph fuel pump (holley style) and a 8 an in line filter. The fuel lines will be all stainless an style and some 1/2 aluminum hard line for the long center portion. Also putting in the battery mount. I already have a 1/2 mdf box for 2 10" subs which goes right behind the back seat. I figure whatever weight I can have in the trunk the better to offset the motor weight. Will update with pics when I get to shop next. I have a busy week next week at work so might just be get some parts in order so that I can really move forward fast once I get some shop time.
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

Well I got all the metal for trunk work and the fuel tank back so I can start mounting process tomorrow night. I also got my pump and stainless fittings in. I will take pics of car with real camera and parts so alot of pics coming soon.
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

Well went and worked on car tonight and here's the update with better pics of car in overall the way it sits now and some of the parts I got recently .

235 17x8

front tokico adjudtables with right height collars on 280 zx struts and brakes and adjustable camber aswell.

rear with tokicos and suspension technique springs and sway bars front and rear

Inside and rear seat and box and cage with removable side bars.

Now a progress report. Got some parts in including fuel take with flange on it and pump and some fittings. I got just a couple bars in for tank tonight but enough to mock up with speaker box for fittment. Fits great and barely sticks down under rear valance. Should finish trunk floor next time and strat mounting pump and lines.

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: bugzilla's 71 510 4 door V8 conversion project pics adde

Post by datzenmike »

That 'cage' sure removes a lot of usable space. The rear seats are inaccessible so why not throw them away and make a larger speaker box?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

I have kids and they climb in there easy and I have been in back seat so it's still usable. I'm 6'5" and 275 so the cage has to be able to accomadate my seating arrangment.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

There's no way I would put my kids back there, that's just too dangerous. i guess if they were in a car seat or something.....maybe.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

While that's a fine support structure for your fuel cell, it doesn't do anything to add protection to the cell. The OE tank location is well protected in the case of a rear-ender.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

I like the tunnel work and front frame reinforcement tube integration in the engine bay.
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

okayfine wrote:While that's a fine support structure for your fuel cell, it doesn't do anything to add protection to the cell. The OE tank location is well protected in the case of a rear-ender.
Most cars have a tank in the same location as mine so I think I'll wing it even though I changed it from a stock 510.
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

blueridgespeed wrote:I like the tunnel work and front frame reinforcement tube integration in the engine bay.
Thanks Blue!! :)
62 bugzilla

Post by 62 bugzilla »

goichi1 wrote:There's no way I would put my kids back there, that's just too dangerous. i guess if they were in a car seat or something.....maybe.
I hope you don't let your kids ride in the back of any none caged car then since I think it's alot safe with a cage than without. They will also have 5 point harness and are 11 and 8 so there not toddlers.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

62 bugzilla wrote: Most cars have a tank in the same location as mine so I think I'll wing it even though I changed it from a stock 510.
Most cars that have the tank in the same location you put it in were designed (re: crash structure) with that in mind. You've mounted it right in the 510's crush zone.
smash.jpg
smash.jpg (16.55 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson