Jack-o'-lantern 510 Wagon

View and post your 510 project(s)
djfootball

Re: Jack-o'-lantern 510 Wagon

Postby djfootball » 12 Feb 2013 09:56

Just got a text "Bring the Rota's over" so i'm assuming that we're going to get to the bottom of this. Standby.

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 12 Feb 2013 10:03

My old wagon with 2" drop in the rear (no spare, empty cargo area, unknown gas volume) and 195/50/15s:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

djfootball

Postby djfootball » 12 Feb 2013 12:51

Did you remove any leafs on that build? Did you do anything to the leafs or did you just add a 2" block?

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 12 Feb 2013 13:21

Nothing but a 2" block.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 12 Feb 2013 13:24

djfootball wrote:Just got a text "Bring the Rota's over" so i'm assuming that we're going to get to the bottom of this. Standby.

As an aside, when I was new to 510s (and had that wagon pictured), I thought the Bluebirds list was the bomb, but my learning curve was still steep as I didn't know diddly-doo. How lucky are you to have blueridge nearby to flatten your learning curve. :!:

djfootball

Postby djfootball » 13 Feb 2013 04:19

okayfine wrote:
djfootball wrote:Just got a text "Bring the Rota's over" so i'm assuming that we're going to get to the bottom of this. Standby.

As an aside, when I was new to 510s (and had that wagon pictured), I thought the Bluebirds list was the bomb, but my learning curve was still steep as I didn't know diddly-doo. How lucky are you to have blueridge nearby to flatten your learning curve. :!:

Very lucky and very grateful. It's one thing to have him near by but it's priceless that he's super nice, SUPER helpful and very understanding of my lack of abilities.

djfootball

Postby djfootball » 13 Feb 2013 04:54

... . . last night i returned to the Datsun Garage and did some filling on the wagon's engine bay.

and as we were waiting for the filler to dry, we figured out why the wagon was sitting so high. Problem: the wagon was basically sitting on the bump stops. Turns out, all we had to do was grab a couple of beers, sit in some chairs and stare at the wagon and BAM come the answers.

We used the band saw to customize the bump stops.

I used the zawzaw to cut the excess threads off of the u-bolts.

This is a photo of how it sits with jack stands under the axles and with blueridgespeed sitting in the back hatch compartment. Travel looks good and no issues so far however, I still need to order some lug nuts and see how it sits on the ground (hence the reason it's in the air). The wheels look small with the stretched 50's but I think it's going to help us get to the height we want.
and here's a close up.

........and here's a photo of a Datsun Forklift.

djfootball

Postby djfootball » 13 Feb 2013 04:58

Blueridge, feel free to chime in at any time and add your comments as well. :)

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 13 Feb 2013 06:59

BUMPSTOPS!

blueridgespeed
Supporter

Postby blueridgespeed » 13 Feb 2013 11:53

okayfine wrote:
BUMPSTOPS!

We trimmed them with the idea of trimming more if needed...should we toss them altogether? I simply LOVE removing unsprung weight.

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 13 Feb 2013 12:07

You're going to want some bumpstop. Metal-on-metal contact on a bump in the middle of the corner is bad juju.

blueridgespeed
Supporter

Postby blueridgespeed » 13 Feb 2013 17:18

-I agree and appreciate your input... infinite spring rate is bad....juju or otherwise. We will protect the DJFootball from himself...it takes a village.

djfootball

Postby djfootball » 04 Apr 2013 12:30

Blueridge hooked up some new, longer, stronger, lugs and we were able to add spacers and get my rim pretty flush to the lip.

Return to “Project Builds”