Finn's KA24DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Finn's KA24DET

Post by bertvorgon »

For what it is worth, and your fear of "washing" down the cylinders with fuel, we run all our turbo motors in the high 11's to low 12's at WOT.

I myself run down into the high 10's at WOT, as I can run WOT for a LONG time..till I hit 8,000 RPM in 5th.

This is my 12 0r 13th year on this motor!

Andy runs the 300+HP Mazda Miata Turbo in the 12'3 with no issues.

Don't forget, there is a mathematical world...THEN the real world..as to what our engines will deal with.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

bertvorgon wrote:For what it is worth, and your fear of "washing" down the cylinders with fuel, we run all our turbo motors in the high 11's to low 12's at WOT.
i'm trying to get to 11s or twelves... right now, it'll go sub 10s before hitting full boost. long before actually. my wideband won't read lower than 10 so i'm thinking it'll get to 8 or 9 before i catch it and stop accelerating.

initially, i didn't know what i was supposed to be running. researching different 4 cylinder engine threads gave me a vague idea of where it was supposed to be so i asked the tuner myself(should have done that first).
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

got the ecu back from RS. Enthalpy today. it was a long day at work so I just threw it in and took it for a test drive. cold idle was smooth at 14.3~. lower gears wot would still dip down to occasional 10.0 but seem to bounce around 10.3. cruise is still a little rich but 5th gear wot was in the mid 11s. i'm sure the ecu needs some miles to map itself to the inputs from the sensors. definitely an instant improvement though. drivability is still good. fast.

next thing to do is make a video. when were done, my wife can video tape the car's performance and reading :lol: sorry if I gave anyone a visual just messing around.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

i recorded a couple of drives today but my phone's software isn't compatible with my laptop, or youtube for that matter so no video yet. the peculiar thing was the afr while accelerating. three quarter throttle and the injectors just dump fuel. hits ten pretty quickly and possibly lower. the thing is, if i go completely wide open, the afr's go the their tuned ratio of 11.3. isn't that weird?! so cruising at 13.5, accelerating at 12/11/10 but bury the pedal and it goes back to 11s. i'm quite sure its not the tune and something with my engine. i need to smoke check for leaks within the intake but i'm also thinking the injector flow rate is off. they didn't leak when i checked them awhile ago but could be now.

additionally i was looking into adding weight to the rear end. google and searches on here didn't produce much... i'm thinking of caging the truck area with thick steel. what have you all done?
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Why adding weight? My KA510 was something like 54/46 F/R distribution, which isn't bad. Adding weight to improve bias isn't the best idea since...you're adding weight. What's the issue you're trying to solve?

On the AFR front - do you have the extender for the MAF yet? The 18" S pipe is common. If the MAF is seeing turbulence at 3/4 throttle and adjusting with excess fuel, by the time you get to WOT the injectors get maxed, giving you good AFR? SWAG there...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

The pic of the engine bay in the previous page shows the new intake. I think its 22". Im wondering if my flow rate is even on these injectors. Ebay injectors :? ...

The problem with weight is the rear tire squeal on turns. Makes me think its more than a little one sided
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Gotca on the intake pipe.

Open diff? Sorry, hard to keep everyone's builds straight.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Surbaru 3.7 LSD i believe. Haven't spent too much time back there yet. Aside from the axle coming loose....
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What tires? Corrected rear alignment? Both tires lighting up in turns? Low speed, sharp turns?
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

19" tires. No alignment done. Didnt squeal before turbo install. Twin tire burn outs. You want to take this thing for a spin? I'd like to get a second option on a few things
'69 2dr KA24DET
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Just from my experience tires make a huge difference. When I had my Falkins I got no traction. As soon as I switched to me Nt01's it made a world of difference. I dont even hear nor feel them spin.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Headed out of town until Monday evening. Happy to help, if I can.

If the rear hasn't been dealt with as far as correcting alignment due to lowering, you're going to have some negative camber issues (and toe out which shows different symptoms). Too much neg camber is going to limit the contact patch, and neg camber gets worse on a 510 during accel squat.

Breaking traction makes sense with the KA/T, though if you tried you'd have been able to light 'em up with the KA. I know I could, with the same diff.

In looking at pictures of your car (page 10 or so, when you painted it), there doesn't appear to be much neg camber showing. Tires look a bit generic and narrow, though. And if they've aged some, they're gonna get hard. If the car previously had the rear geo corrected for the ride height it's at and you haven't changed said ride height, it might be a tire issue.

I don't have the world's greatest tires on my car, but we can swap on the rears if they'll fit and see if that makes a difference.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

PMK - which Falken's? Azenis, or something like their normal street tire (912, which is what I run)?
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

okayfine wrote: If the rear hasn't been dealt with as far as correcting alignment due to lowering, you're going to have some negative camber issues (and toe out which shows different symptoms). Too much neg camber is going to limit the contact patch, and neg camber gets worse on a 510 during accel squat..
when i installed the ALCAs i got from Adam, he let me use his alignment stuff. the rear seemed fine by my measurements.

okayfine wrote:I don't have the world's greatest tires on my car, but we can swap on the rears if they'll fit and see if that makes a difference.
i have the libres still, maybe i should try that.. or throw some new rubber on them finally.
okayfine wrote:Breaking traction makes sense with the KA/T, though if you tried you'd have been able to light 'em up with the KA. I know I could, with the same diff..
breaking them loose isn't a problem, calling attention to myself just making a turn is. especially in front of a cop.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That's what lag is supposed to be for :lol:

New tires transformed my car. I've not had traction issues with Whitebird, but in other respects it was $200 well spent. If your Libres have better rubber, it would be worth a few minutes to swap them back on and see if there's a difference.