Finn's KA24DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
finn
Supporter

Re: Finn's KA24DET

Post by finn » 16 Jan 2013 22:14

so i talked to the tuner and he suggested that i check a few things like maf and fuel injectors. no problems there.. so then he says the code 13 is the engine coolant temp sensor and it could be making the engine run poorly. i stated no way, since i have the fan relay signal running off it and the fan and engine run fine. i read out the plug and it was getting 12 volts instead of the 5v the fsm says. recuit mistake by me using the this as the signal for the fan, it tricked the ecu into giving it 12 volts. after i pullled the signal wire and ran it, it dropped to 5 volts. tuners claims that could be the cause for running rich while his ecu is plugged in so i pulled it, cleaned the corrosion off, disconnected the fan and tried it out with the maf and ecu hooked up. it still searched for idle and would die if sat long enough and the narrowband was still pegged rich. i decided that the narrowband wasn't reliable enough since i could see the fuel leaving the exhaust with the old ecu and it read ideal. i took it for a short test drive as is to see how it would perform and it SERIOUSLY made a difference. pulled hard in every gear. even the sound of the exhaust changed.
the codes on the ecu didn't change but i decided to leave it as is and troubleshoot the rough idle as it was its own entity. i have a feeling the IACV has a big to do with it. after returning from work this evening it idle somewhat good! so the ecu must be learning to compensate for something.
so now i just need to pick up a welder to get going on my exhaust manifold. craftsman has a good model that can weld stainless for $237 my buddy uses the same works good.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 17 Jan 2013 06:48

You might not want to underbuy a welder. They become very useful once you have one, and you'll probably get to a point pretty quickly in which a cheap welder won't be able to do the job.

They do make stainless flux core wire, so you could weld stainless with the Sears welder. If you have experience with the end product from your friend's welder, that's something.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 17 Jan 2013 10:19

I wont be doing anything too serious. I know what you mean though. I need to learn and get fluent first. I ordered a craftsman 20% cycle 80 amp last night. Maybe one beer too many...
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.

amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker » 17 Jan 2013 17:37

You can always return it and use my Lincon 175, and there's always the TIG.
71 510: 4-Door, KA swap, Work in progress (Race)

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 17 Jan 2013 18:20

Its cool man. It should handle anything i need to do. Besides your leaving soon
'69 2dr KA24DET

amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker » 17 Jan 2013 18:55

You, sometimes I forget, this is the longest time I've been at one assignment so it throws off my internal PCS clock.

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 18 Jan 2013 16:56

#15 (permalink)fiI started troubleshooting the idle today using the fsm. I started with the 02 sensor since it was getting douced in fuel. The volts read fine.didnt appear damaged. I tried to read resistance but i got nothing. The fsm was confusing it had two different ecu connections. After messing with it for a short while i looked at the color of the wires and they didnt match! Wtf?I unplugged the 02 sensor and started it and it didnt change anything. Didnt even throw a code for the 02 sensor. Is it pinned wrong?

Its the black wire under the white in the center. #46.
Attachments
20130118_161503.jpg
20130118_161503.jpg (212.49 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
20130118_161316.jpg
20130118_161316.jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
20130118_161236.jpg
20130118_161236.jpg (156.84 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
'69 2dr KA24DET

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 18 Jan 2013 18:47

Got it up to operating temp so it would idle by itself and started pulling shit. The coolant temp sensor made a small change. All injectors are good as well as spark plugs. 02 sensor made no change. Heard a hiss.... found a hiding leak.
Attachments
20130118_184100.jpg
20130118_184100.jpg (171.42 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
20130118_184030.jpg
20130118_184030.jpg (167.07 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
'69 2dr KA24DET

amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker » 18 Jan 2013 20:06

Nice, that'll do. Did you see what they might have used the tee for?

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 18 Jan 2013 20:44

Whatever it was originally used for is gone now. After i plugged the leak it idled quite well! A small miss but holds well. It was also at operating temps so cold might be a different story.
'69 2dr KA24DET

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 20 Jan 2013 18:56

busy weekend and the weather was gorgeous, feel bad that i didnt spend more time with the family :oops:

while looking into this idle issue, i noticed a trend for sensors. if one was important to engine function, it wouldn't nessasarily say so, just state its purpose so common sense would suggest. if it was only for on board diagnositics, it said so. so having the knock sensor code i looked into the sensor and it doesn't say its for diagnostics. what i got for research was that it adjusts timing to prevent the knock it senses. what i'm somewhat ashamed to say is that i read if you use a 560 resistor, it'll make the ecu think all is well so i gave it a shot. while cold it softly searches for idle with a occasional miss fire. after its warmed up for a minute or two it holds well. doesn't backfire on decelaration. pulls pretty well. i wired in the other gages so that when i weld in the wideband sensor and run the oil line i just have to plug them in. the oil gage light isn't working but i think its because its not grounding. its a self-ground design and the panel is composite so i'll have to wire in ground.

i've been thinking a lot lately. i don't think i truly remember the stock performance of this motor enough to compare it to the ecu/maf/injector change... its fast, but not fast enough. i have this overwhelming feeling that i have to have the fastest car. is that odd? :roll: the thought donned on me before i started messing with it. why not just drive it and enjoy it? now, the thought of racing is feels like a when, not if. maybe i use the wrong vintage for this obsession...
my wife already ok'd the idea of getting a four door. they still pop up on craigslist down here. does everyone go through this? maybe its something else...
Attachments
newcluster.jpg
newcluster.jpg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
'69 2dr KA24DET

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 21 Jan 2013 08:30

There seem to be a few main categories for 510ers.

-The DDers, who bomb around in a 510 and don't pay much attention to the car other than keeping it running. Seems like, in SoCal at least, these guys are gone.
-The enthusiasts, who try to build up nicer cars than their first 510s, using mods and swap parts where appropriate, engine swaps to enjoy EFI, etc. These seem to be most of the current crop of guys.
-The tinkerers - guys like me, or Seth, who build and build and build and maybe drive, then build and build and build.
-The Bling - Chrome and anno SR20DET swaps with flash paint, only bring their cars to shows, etc.
-The Racers.

Many are, of course, a mix of the above. I'm a tinkerer. The DDers probably put the most miles on their cars.

ECU/MAF/injectors on a N/A KA probably won't give you more than 10% boost, if that. The mild street cams I put in my old KA didn't really wake the engine up that much. Turbo will, though.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker » 21 Jan 2013 09:16

Keep messing with it, but keep the experiments separate so you can drive it. My racecar hasn't seen the track in 8 years...it's very lame and completely self-inflicted from trying to mess with something that works (and a remote PCS for 2 years). That one puts me in the "tinkerer" category, but I'm pulling myself through the "enthusiast" with the DD.

Having multiple projects is also a pain these days for me, how much is left on the Jeep?

finn
Supporter

Post by finn » 21 Jan 2013 09:58

Well nothing for me actually.... i finally rebuilt the carb and got it running. Damn thing is, i can't sell it. Dropped the price down $2k and still sits. Its just not practical. Slow and 60 years old are not great selling points. Im thinking of opening my selling spectrum
Attachments
IMAG0466.jpg
IMAG0466.jpg (84.79 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
'69 2dr KA24DET

amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker » 22 Jan 2013 20:21

That bites, but,, like everything else it's a dream truck for someone out there. It just might take a while...