1970 Wagon DD, Chunk

View and post your 510 project(s)
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: 1970 Wagon DD, Chunk

Post by two_68_510s »

Well, you kinda asked :wink: ...."stuff" stands out better against white, (shiny stuff), you can see leaks etc instantly against white, I have seen a few race cars done that way, don't know how popular it is or why, also grey/silver. I think, again, it is about spotting leaks. Plus, when you look into a dark engine bay, the contrast is a good thing.

And I agree with Julian, now is the time, prep time is the best it could be.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

Lol thanks guys. Decided to stick with the red, it means two less days waiting for paint to dry. My local datsun mentor Doctor510 came by and said he really liked it and also my girlfriend likes it so I guess thats good enough. A little worried that I will have to many colors going on in the engine bay, but at this point i have kind of stopped caring a whole lot about colors and appearance and just want the car on the road again.

I ditched the k&n filters for a modified roadster set up with stub stacks. Also got a 110 amp maxima alternator, a donor differential pumpkin from a 620 and the UEGO wide band o2 with an AEM controller.
Not sure if I will be swapping side gears from my donor diff, or what I will have to do, but at least I have the option.

I have way to many little loose ends to tie up.
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

Getting there
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

I just love the way those carbs look, it just seems right!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

YouTube video
Well she runs damn good. This was true first start, no tuning, no nothing. Just hooked it all up and turned the key. :D

Check out my freaking grin too, lol. Was a good night. Still a ways away from being a DD again, but definitely satisfied enough to call it a night.
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

Got chunk back on the road.
Need to build exhaust, and do a bunch of other stuff, but things are looking good so far!
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

Watch this Video! vvv (hear that whine? drivetrain needs serious overhaul)
http://youtu.be/-B6pCZpmYiU

250 miles on the new motor+trans so far.
Front main seal leaks, but not enough to drip. Other than that no leaks.
Either main-shaft bearing or countershaft is bad. Rumbly. 4th gear is the worst, (4th is the gear set closest to those bearings I believe)
Going to rebuild the trans probably either monday or tuesday, whenever the parts come in. Syncros are good though so it should be an easy rebuild.
Differential is coming after that, ATM tranny is more important

Will be back with more updates/pics
Last edited by vanmansam on 17 May 2013 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The pull you recorded from the stop light sounds great. Ash tray clip was amusing, but there should be a little spring metal clip on there to offer the necessary resistance to hold it in place.

Must feel good to be driving it, keep the posts coming.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

Byron510 wrote:The pull you recorded from the stop light sounds great. Ash tray clip was amusing, but there should be a little spring metal clip on there to offer the necessary resistance to hold it in place.

Must feel good to be driving it, keep the posts coming.

Byron
yeah I adjusted the little ashtray spring, :) I just put that part in the video to be a wise-ass. Seriously though, the car makes gobs of power compared to the l16, and I can chirp tires in 3. Exhaust sounds good, but the carbs sound better. I reused my old pea shooeter 1 7/8" pipe since it was close enough to the 2" everyone says to use, and the car already has enough road noise without a loud exhaust. Maybe when I get the money for a cam and some sound deadening I will get a bigger pipe. :lol:

I will probably pick up another couple ponies once I get the EI dizzy set up with a good advance curve, right now I reused my old single points dual advance running about 34* total advance. Also could benefit from a tune with wideband O2, which I will be installing when the tranny is out this week

Glad to know I have your approval Byron. :)
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

The car is doing well.

I adjusted the valves, did a compression check, fluid check ect. Compression good, numbers are 175, 170, 172, 169 with trottle shut.
I got ambitious and decided to get my radio working. I got an RCA jack and some wire and wired in a ipod port. Its not perfect but it works.

Pics:
This part I did wrong. The blue wire is the output of the main pot, so the way its wired now gives me no volume control besides whats on the ipod. Think i am going to take it out to fix tonight. Should have tied into the red wire instead the blue, since red is input into the rheostat and blue is output.

This is the little RCA. the resistor is because I have mono speaker output but want the whole sound. With stereo output you dont use the resistor.

baby woofer with a tweeter on top.

my choice for jack location

in the car

video of it working
http://youtu.be/l7292PMx6rY

Bearings for trans came in, so me and tjyak50 will be overhauling in the very near future. Thanks for looking.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

That's great work with the radio vansam, I like that!
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That is a seriously cool mod, I love it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

Did the trans today. Works great. Solved all the issues I had before and so far havent created any new ones!
Pics.

Got the trans back in the car and drove home 35 miles from the shop. :) very pleased
Left a lot out of the pics just because there comes a point in the project that you have just had enough and want the damn thing back together and forget to take enough pics. Important thing that wasnt shown was I roughed up the cones on the gears with some fine emory so the syncros could grip.

Also, rebidding this 63a SUCKED compared to a regular long tail z trans... seriously shitty job, would not recommend.
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

No real progress as of yet, but I just wanted a quick update. Car is doing good. Had 4th gear pop put twice, but I attribute that to a tight shifter boot and poor shifting technique on my part. Been careful to make sure its really in there and it hasn't popped out again. I also got a complete drum to drum h190 goon rear from a running car, so I will be cleaning that up, putting my brakes on it and stuffin her in with drop blocks, air shocks and repacked springs. Got some drums that are (what I was told) are Brembo brand; brand new and also free (who knew?! :| :D ). who cares if they are brembo or not they beat the worn ones I have and the price was right.

Also some parts came in the mail like more POR15, a 3 gauge mini cluster, LEDs for the dash, the shocks, dome light lense, little knob for the emergency flashers. The dash is currently apart because my speedo is in the shop getting the trip repaired and calibrated. Would have just got a second hand speedo from a friend but mine had a trip meter. Anyone have any idea how rare that is?

Thanks for looking will be back with pic next time. :)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I don't think USDM cars got the trip speedo.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson