I drove the car with the newly rebuilt engine for about a month and loved every minute of it, then summer rolled around.
NorCal summers, especially in Sacramento, are HOT. We had stretch last year of about a month with 100+ degree weather.
The hot weather really showed flaws in my cooling system. I found it nearly impossible to drive for more than 30 miles without the gauge reaching 80%+ HOT. This was less than ideal..
What better excuse than to upgrade the cooling system?!
Lucky for me one of my buddies had a fancy brand-new 'Mishimoto' aluminum radiator that he was willing to part with.
It was for a late 90s Dodge Neon. The size was just right. Wider and taller than OEM, measured out to be a perfect fit inside the engine bay.
Broke out the tools and got to work..
This is the radiator. Nice quality unit.
This radiator uses pegs at the top and bottom to mount into the vehicle.
I though about using the pegs and associated rubber mounts/isolators, but after careful measuring, I noticed it would make the radiator sit too high. So I cut the posts off and decided to fab up for brackets to use oem style direct core-support mounts.
Got out the tig and attached the brackets.
Then it was time for a test fit..
Fit was great, but the opening in the front of the 510 was just too small, so I had to enlarge it a tad..
The next step I did just because I wanted to.
I wanted to run larger radiator hoses, so I enlarged the inlets/outlets of the engine and the radiator. This was also a good way to remove the corroded ends of the thermostat housing and the lower water outlet fitting.
Here's an example..
While at it, I also made a temperature switch housing for my electric fan setup, and a hose union (I ended up not using the hose union pipe)
All the pieces completed with beads rolled into the ends.
Since my car didn't come with a radiator overflow tank (I had been using a Gatorade bottle for a while), I decided to add an overflow tank and breather tank. Attached them to the sides of the radiator. I also fabbed up an aluminum fan shroud to use with a pair of slim line fans. (One is an 11" one is a 10"..most clearance that way.)
Final test fit without the fans. I noticed the lower radiator hose was now too close to the alternator pulley, so I machined about 3mm from the pulley and ended up with a much more comfortable clearance.
Final test fit with the fans installed revealed just how close the water pump pulley was to the fans if using standard bolts. Easiest solution was just to use slim line bolts. Don't let the pics fool you, there is about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch between them now.
All that done, it was time to install the assembly and see how it works..
Also, not the reliefs in the radiator mounting brackets around the headlights...attention to detail! B)
Cooling is AWESOME with this setup. With an OEM temp. setting thermostat it get's up to temp. quickly and stays there!
It's a 85*C thermostat and a 92*C temp. switch.