'72 Sedan "Do It Right" build - denis.drc

View and post your 510 project(s)
shacks510

Re: '72 Sedan "Do It Right" build - denis.drc

Post by shacks510 »

denis.drc wrote:But definitely NOT rotary.. I have nothing against them just not my thing.
I have nothing against rotary engines either. They're great little things! Small, but produce a lot of power. I've always believed that motor swaps should stay in the make family. Nissan to Nissan etc.

It seems that everyone that does motor swaps goes to an SR or KA. Honestly, I have nothing against those either, it's just that I see them EVERYWHERE!!! They're great alternatives to the L-series; EFI, turbos, electronically balanced and monitored, etc., but they're just too common.

Any swap I'd do, would stay in the L-series, or go to NAP-Z if I really wanted to/was available. I like the simplicity of them, keeps the original look of the car, and they're generally carbureted, and I love the sound of big carburetors!

This is a video of my dads car when we got it running last July. L16 with 44mm? Mikunis. Love the sound. I wish I turned the music off and told him to sush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCmIyJkos0
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

My guess is that Denis isn't going to all the trouble of building a widened tubular frame just to be "crafty" for craft sake. Surely this means something sick is going under the hood. Before building my car I developed a list of criteria to help define the best power plant to meet my goals, budget, and skill level. Always driving this criteria was the intended use for my car witch was a balls out atuo-X car with a license plate. Given the specific limitations of the 510 chassis, for me the motor's power to weight ratio played a huge role. Had it not been for budgetary limitations this is the direction I would have gone.

Hartley Enterprises H1 V8 Hayabusa

75° odd fire V8
2.8 LITER, 170 cu. in. displacement (3.0 liter optional)
84mm Bore X 63mm Stroke (67 stroke optional)
4 cams, 32 valves via internal silent chain
530mm wide x 485mm long x 530mm high
400HP @ 10,000 rpm with stock street cams (higher spec. is available)
245 ft-lbs torque @ 7500 rpm
200 lbs engine weight
Billet nitrided steel 180° crank
4340 H-beam con-rods with ARP bolts
Billet 6061-T6 aluminum crankcase
Dry sump 0il system with 4 stage pump
7.25" or 5.5" Twin disc clutch
DTA S80 full sequential ECU
Unique cylinder offset and cam drive arrangement yields a compact design- Patent No. 7,168,405

In order to meet my build goals within the range of my collective resources the SR20 was the clear choice "for me". I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing what Denis comes up with. Shit I love watching a good build, is better that any reality TV, because it's actually real.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

Ron, why would you do this to me?

I see the motor, I love the motor, I want the motor! ....I read the webpage.....I GET BLUE BALLS! :evil:
Hartley Enterprises wrote:
Q: Can I buy a H1 or H2 engine?
A: Probably not now unless you are an existing customer.

As of March 2012, the H1 and H2 engine technology has been sold. The new owner will further develop the technology for race applications and plans to offer it to other markets in 2013. Hartley Enterprises retains the rights to build these engines in limited numbers for select existing customers and special projects in the US. All projects are taken for 2013.
I don't know if I have enough money for such an engine...but man would I have loved to own one! :D :!:

The search continues...
When you truly love your project, you won't cut corners!
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

Shoot, one hayabusa motor would be pretty sweet (200 HP-ish?). Two mated into a V8 is amazing.

My dream 510 swap would be a SR20VE with ITBs. 200+ naturally aspirated HP from an SR20 block. You've got to source a VE head and a RWD SR20 shortblock, but mazworx sells just about everything you'd need to get it to work. There's only one running VE 510 that I know of, and he's down in Houston.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

denis.drc wrote:Ron, why would you do this to me?

I see the motor, I love the motor, I want the motor! ....I read the webpage.....I GET BLUE BALLS! :evil: .
Good god man. Well the only cure for blue balls is to use the back door... so to speak. :mrgreen:

Dennis Palatov is the guy to ask. He's one of the guys who developed the H1 motor and he uses them in his race cars. His D4 just won the 2012 open class Pikes Peak hill climb. He is also building a prototype production car called the D1 that uses it. http://www.palatov.com/cars/d1.html. If anyone could get their hands on an H1 it would be him.

All that aside, did you happen to peep the price tag Bro? $30k :shock: My balls still have a bluish tint to them after reading that some two years ago.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

well if you want to keep to a nissan motor,you could go with on of these :P
http://www.specialtyengineering.ca/engi ... rplus.html
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

+1 on the sr20de with the VVL head. however my guess is going to have to be a A4 tt quatro awd drivetrain given what you can get your hands on. :mrgreen:
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

RonM wrote: All that aside, did you happen to peep the price tag Bro? $30k :shock: My balls still have a bluish tint to them after reading that some two years ago.
I did not catch that price tag. That's quite high... :shock:
Maybe one day...
For 30K, I can install one 'Busa engine in the front AND one in the back AND buy a used NSX...BAM!
GREG510 wrote:well if you want to keep to a nissan motor,you could go with on of these :P
http://www.specialtyengineering.ca/engi ... rplus.html
Nice one! Looks VH45 based..Those are WIDE! I like it though.
Cmac wrote:+1 on the sr20de with the VVL head. however my guess is going to have to be a A4 tt quatro awd drivetrain given what you can get your hands on. :mrgreen:
Lol, I'm trying to stay away from Audi influence..
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

Alright. I'm going to start begging for hints. We know it's got a track width of 58". Is it "in the family", i.e. Nissan sourced?
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

HudsonMC wrote:Alright. I'm going to start begging for hints. We know it's got a track width of 58". Is it "in the family", i.e. Nissan sourced?
LOL...I'm undecided as of yet.
Once my L16 setup and cooling system sell, I'll have a better idea of what budget will allow.

I'll say this: none of you will be disappointed!
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

Btw...

Cooling system is now up for sale in the classified section.

Front suspension gong up for sale next.

Rear subframe/control arm assembly with complete S13 disc brake conversion going up for sale very soon as well.

Help me get his stuff to a new home so I can start the new wave of upgrades.

***ENGINE, TRANS & COOLING SYSTEM SOLD ON 2/23/12.....THANKS MIKE!***
Last edited by denis.drc on 24 Feb 2013 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

if mike hasn't spent all his cash yet, sell him the susp. and lets see what ya gonna build next. :shock:
"mike, good buys man."
its not the having. its the doing...
Micatom33

Post by Micatom33 »

I am going to put this in "picked up a 69 4dr". I have been inspired by my latest drive and want to get this one going again. This car has been tucked away in storage and it is time.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14832

anyone have a clutch/ brake pedals for this conversion?
vanmansam

Post by vanmansam »

I am kind of sad to see you get rid of the l16. :cry: For me one of the coolest things about these cars is their simple mechanicals. Every time I see another modern engine swap it breaks my heart a little bit for some reason.
From the looks of it you will do a good job on whatever you do decide to put in there though.
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

Micatom33 wrote:I am going to put this in "picked up a 69 4dr". I have been inspired by my latest drive and want to get this one going again. This car has been tucked away in storage and it is time.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14832
anyone have a clutch/ brake pedals for this conversion?
dodgydan wrote:if mike hasn't spent all his cash yet, sell him the susp. and lets see what ya gonna build next. :shock:
"mike, good buys man."
:D How about it, Mike? Can the '69 use a set of near new 'Koni' based front coilovers? Maybe some rear S13 brakes? They're here just waiting for you... :wink:

vanmansam wrote:I am kind of sad to see you get rid of the l16. :cry: For me one of the coolest things about these cars is their simple mechanicals. Every time I see another modern engine swap it breaks my heart a little bit for some reason.
From the looks of it you will do a good job on whatever you do decide to put in there though.
I can appreciate you feeling.
I gave the L16 a valid try and had a chance to drive the 510 the way it was intended. (Actually a little faster..)
I had some fun and got a good feel for it, but the urge for more is ever-present and got the best of me..
Trust me, the next stage will not disappoint!