Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

Postby bertvorgon » 13 Apr 2017 11:44

I do use the quality fuel injection hose for sure.

I do not use race gas any more, just Avgas, plus my octane booster on occasion.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 22 Apr 2017 06:59

Last week Matt helped me bleed the brakes, ended up with a bleed nipple issue on one of the BMW calipers on the rear. The inboard one would not loosen up. I am going to try to track down some new bleed screws, stupid things are so small, 7MM, and you cannot get a box end wrench over the nipple itself.

I thought I would do some cosmetic things while I work on the caliper issue. My front grill has taken some good hits from bugs and rocks over the years, so time for a clean up and re-paint flat black. Going to re-paint my side mirror also.

James helped me track down a throttle cable. I never knew what it was from, something we grabbed off the shelf 41 years ago. Turns out it is from the 520/521 Datsun pickup truck. We found one, brand new in Texas and it was up here in 4 days. Bonus round as I would hate to be stuck somewhere with a busted cable. I will put the new one into service and the old one to be carried as a spare on our road trips.

Next week I will fire the car up and then wait for some good weather to put insurance on. I also may do a bit of a paint repair on my rear fender flares, where years of race tires blasted off the paint and chipped it.
Attachments
IMGP2140 (Small).JPG
Primed and ready for paint
IMGP2140 (Small).JPG (90.19 KiB) Viewed 27 times
IMGP2139 (Small).JPG
IMGP2139 (Small).JPG (46.27 KiB) Viewed 27 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

RMS
Supporter

Postby RMS » 22 Apr 2017 08:26

when faced with nipples that only accept an open end, I like to back the wrench up with a pair of vicegrips ....good vicegrips... not that Irwin junk.

will you be taping and spraying or will it be a brush job on the rear flares ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

Return to “Project Builds”