Supporter

Re: Project Miracle Whip - 1968 510 4door s13 sr20det

Post by two_68_510s »

Here you go:
20161214_112544.jpg
20161214_112544.jpg (509.82 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
20161214_112554.jpg
20161214_112554.jpg (530.04 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
Last edited by two_68_510s on 14 Dec 2016 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

two_68_510s wrote:Looks great! You are very dedicated, fun to watch! I have some factory NOS SSS 68 side vents, I will post pics for reference when I dig them out.
Dedicated or crazy, not really sure.. but I am getting some things done. Those pictures would be greatly appreciated. And, how in the hell did you get those???????
Byron510 wrote:
Nice Brackets! :-)

Installation looks good. I did the same with the large tube for the exhaust on the Bronze build many years ago.

How much extra space did you use to get enough clearance for the power coating when you welded the brackets on?

Byron
Hey Byron!!!

Thank you. A 3" hole for a good free flowing exhaust is what I have seen most people do. I am not looking for an insane amount of HP, just a good, running and fun car.

I left about a 1/16" total spacing and did not mount the other piece of the bracket. I am going to spray paint that piece so we don't have more material closing the gap. I have heard good things about the brackets from everyone but Mario over at TSR. I don't think he is a fan.
Last edited by sssexxx on 14 Dec 2016 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

two_68_510s wrote:Here you go:
20161214_112544.jpg
20161214_112554.jpg
OH WOW! Those are gorgeous! I was going to paint them just like that; however, with the chrome coming out so well, I may just paint the recesses around the center and inside the center to give the same effect while being mostly chrome.

Thank you for digging these out. I wish I just had some of those to dig out too.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

sssexxx wrote:
two_68_510s wrote:Here you go:
20161214_112544.jpg
20161214_112554.jpg
OH WOW! Those are gorgeous! I was going to paint them just like that; however, with the chrome coming out so well, I may just paint the recesses around the center and inside the center to give the same effect while being mostly chrome.

Thank you for digging these out. I wish I just had some of those to dig out too.
Been collecting parts for too many years, when real stuff was still on ebay etc. paid dearly for those vents.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

THOSE are SSS badges! :)
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Baz

Post by Baz »

"One question for you that I just can't get an answer to. I have been trying to find replacement rubber for the bottom of the glass on each door window. It is sandwiched in place between the metal bracket at the bottom. I need to get the windows out, re-plate or paint that bracket and then reseat the windows in new rubber. Any ideas?"

We are adding to our seal inventory & making new & improved seals. Also updating part numbers & the description's.

We now have the glass to window winder channel rubber available for 2 door & 4 doors. Just what you need.
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

okayfine wrote:THOSE are SSS badges! :)
Yes sir, they are! Unfortunately they are in fact replicas as well. But, win some lose some right? I am still looking for the real deal for the front grill. I don't have to tell you how much of a chore that is.
Baz wrote:"One question for you that I just can't get an answer to. I have been trying to find replacement rubber for the bottom of the glass on each door window. It is sandwiched in place between the metal bracket at the bottom. I need to get the windows out, re-plate or paint that bracket and then reseat the windows in new rubber. Any ideas?"

We are adding to our seal inventory & making new & improved seals. Also updating part numbers & the description's.

We now have the glass to window winder channel rubber available for 2 door & 4 doors. Just what you need.
Baz! You and Tracey have been a life saver. I am going to need to order those ASAP. I'll reach out to you in the not too distant future. I will probably need to get more on the order to make the shipping worthwhile. LOVE YOUR PRODUCTS!

The most annoying part of building a car is waiting... I have literally done it for years. But sometimes there simply is no other choice. We are still waiting for a lot of parts to come in, but I did manage to get my nubby little paws on this bad boy:

Any guesses?

That's right its time to Disco with my Disco Potato!

Then it was time to test fit my $20 mock-up center console.... Guess what? It fits! Now I just need to find an e-brake that will work with it. Decisions, decisions....

Then it was time to look at the parts rack and dream...

Until next time my precious baby!

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That center console looks legit, and it leaves the heater core free, which a lot don't do. Nice find.

Replica SSS badges - I saw a set and they were pretty convincing. I mean, easy to tell they weren't genuine by looking at the back sides, but for the money and availability...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

Long time, no update, I know.... I had to take a little time away from working on the car to focus on some business. But, that doesn't mean that the shop hasn't been moving along. It just means my quasi lady @ss has not been posting.

I managed to get a bunch of parts in. An auto power roll bar with removal cross bar is in, but was delivered to the shop. Also, these goodies were dropped off:

NOS Lock Set

New carpet. Black and high quality loop.

A potentially useful or not useful at all Datsun Sunny badge. Unlikely it will fit, but worth a shot.

Some 1600 SSS badges. Again, may or may not use them....

Dapper Lighter 575s with LEDs

And a nice little Nissan Skyline GTR Red Start Button
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

thats a nice looking carpet kit. who supplied ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

RMS wrote:thats a nice looking carpet kit. who supplied ?
A guy from the east coast on eBay. They carpet showed up and surprised the hell out of me. The cost was negligible and it had insulation/padding pre cut on the bottom. Message me and I will try and find the seller name.

Got a chance to make a visit to the shop today. I was really torn on the idea of a fuel cell versus a custom tank in the stock location. Obviously, you can quickly see what option we settled on...

A short while later and there was a hole in the pit of my stomach and in the rear of Project Miracle Whip. I really hesitated, but since we are going to hide the battery and the fuse box in the space where the original fuel tank went it made the most logical choice easy.

This view was what I was most concerned with. It will take building a false floor in the trunk and some creative panels, but this could look aesthetic pleasing even though we don't have room for groceries anymore...

Test fitting the fuel filler neck, obviously not the tubing we will use, but just getting some perspective...

Then it was time to talk shop and play with the toys....

Finally got to see the Autopower Roll Bar...

Swapped out the 370z start button with a GTR red start button using the OEM 370z bezel..

I didn't take a picture of the TurboSmart goodies, but I did take a picture of this... lol no idea why...

Then we wrapped up sending power to the instrument cluster for no other reason than we could!

sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

And, I'm baaaaaaaaaack. I miss the old days when there use to be a lot more commentary and interaction. Is it just me or did the rise of Instagram kill the social impact found on these forums? Anyway, I digress.

First order of business was a swap for part with none other than my favorite Datsun savior the510keeper. Loaded up the truck on a super rainy day and headed to Left Coast Datsun.

1968 Datsun 4 door interior, front windshield, gas tank and spare tire pan in flawless condition.

Swap was made, but since it was raining enough to warrant my 35" tires there were no handoff photos taken. But here was some of the goodies James blessed me with.

NOS eyebrow trim, NOS upper hood trim and new to me trunk springs.

Didn't bother to tell James, but the NOS windshield trim he sold me got damaged when we test fit the 1969 Canadian dash. So I sourced a new replacement from my favorite Australian Datsun team over at Datsport. While I was at it, Baz and Tracy provided me a much needed r200 Mustache Bar with polyureathane bushings.

sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

Argh!!! Why don't things ever go as planned? Mock up of the transmission tunnel cut for the SR20DET transmission to be covered by the Datsport cover just didn't feel right. Great product, but just not going to hep me accomplish what I needed to with the S13 center mount cable e-brake lever. Photos courtesy of Nick & Jen over at 5523 Motorsport, clearly I am not this talented.

From the top everything looked great:

But from other angles, not so good....

So again Nick and Jen shot me an email and we got started on Plan B...

After the initial cut was made, it was time to start fabricating. I have to give Nick credit, this was just pure sexy work..

Left side nub gap:

Right side nub gap:

Reverse light wiring gap:

Next up will be some welding to shore up the fabrication work and then the S13 e-brake handle will be test fit. It is looking like we will need to mount it higher than a direct transmission tunnel mount so that it sits correctly with the Lancer center console. More to come soon...
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

So what was the issue with the transmission hole cover from Datsport? I have it uninstalled as well and was planning on using it with the 240sx transmission install next month. Was it just a problem with the e-brake that you wanted to add?
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

TheHeretic wrote:So what was the issue with the transmission hole cover from Datsport? I have it uninstalled as well and was planning on using it with the 240sx transmission install next month. Was it just a problem with the e-brake that you wanted to add?
Let me start by saying that I really like Baz and Tracy. I am running a lot of their product. But, it is hard to make universal applications for 50 year old cars, not to mention applications in which you are merging new technology. Nick and Jen could not stomach a scissor jack widening of the hole. I have too much OCD for that as well. So we just decided to make a more precise cut. I'm also running the Lancer console and the e-brake like you noted. So things are going to be tight. Precision is key and a less wide opening would make my life easier. Long answer, I know. So basically I'm anal retentive.