72 510 Wagon, First Car, New Experience

View and post your 510 project(s)
James

Re: 72 510 Wagon, First Car, New Experience

Post by James »

Yes - that is the bolt. If there is slot showing to the left of it, then you could take out the bolt, slide it over, and reinstall - which will take up some slack on the chain.

Here is a pic of the guide - the semi - slotted two hole area is what I am talking about.

To move the guide, I seem to remember that you had to take the bolt out, not just loosen.
getimage.php.jpeg
getimage.php.jpeg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 3814 times
Finished is better than perfect......
James

Post by James »

How'd you make out with this?
Entrymax

Post by Entrymax »

Still looking for a wrench to reach that far down.
James

Post by James »

I used a standard length 10mm end wrench with the socketing end.....
Did you try resetting the valve lash cold?
Entrymax

Post by Entrymax »

I did. Two valves were off, and after setting it there was no noticeable change in sound. Though some of the loud rattling is gone because of the headlight connectors rattling around the fenders.

On the other hand, I picked up a pair of spindles from a 280zx from pick n pull this morning. 65$
Figure I'll just use a reman master cylinder.

Bleeding brakes either tonight or tomorrow.

Need to get new tires for the stockers. The PO gave me 6 steelies with hubcaps.
James

Post by James »

Before I messed with the chain and guides, I would search out everything that is rattling in and around the engine compartment. Then see what you have noise wise. I had an exhaust rattle that I attributed to a tranny issue for a while.
Seriously - 20w-50 may make some difference. At least it runs!
Entrymax

Post by Entrymax »

Ah... while working on moving the guide (which by the way was already moved as much to the right as possible) I noticed a spring further down. It turns out the guide had turned sideways with the spring bent.

I'm quite bummed, but on the other hand; just like before I pulled the head, I'm excited to do it.
I'm planning on replacing as much of the timing components as possible so I don't have to go back there anytime soon.

So besides fixing the chain tensioner, I want to replace thee:
  • Water Pump
  • Timing Chain
  • Front Oil Seal
  • Both Chain Guides
  • Cam Sprocket
  • Crank Sprocket
  • Drive Gear
  • Oil Spray Nozzle
  • Timing Cover Gaskets
  • Oil Pan Gaskets
I'm not sure if there's anything else I'd need (or would find need-less) to replace, but if there is please let me know.
Also, is there anything here I wouldn't be able to replace with the motor in the car?

Do I need to get the water pump WITH the fan clutch or without the fan clutch?

Pulling the radiator tomorrow.
James

Post by James »

Well - there's your noise.

Add to your list
Tensioner -
Fan belt.

The drive gear - check it out , if its not worn, I wouldn't bother.

You can look at the wear patterns on the guides - take a pic, may not need to replace them either.....Although they are cheap.
When you get your cam timing gear, make sure it has the notch on the back - so you can verify your cam timing when its together.

No fan clutch unless you have one already....

You have the right attitude about fixing it. Good luck.....
Last edited by James on 18 Jul 2013 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The "How To Keep Alive" manual has a to-scale picture of the tensioner block you can make. You may need one in the future, takes 5 minutes to make (if you have a jigsaw, 15 if you're doing it by hand), and could make it slightly easier to assemble your stuff when you redo it.

Try to find a made-in-Japan timing kit. Save the hassle of tracking down individual parts. The only thing that will be difficult with the engine in the car is the oil pan gasket. It can be done in-car, but you may have to raise the engine to get enough room between the pan and the crossmember to drop the pan and get the gasket in between. When you go to do it up, make sure you don't pinch/cut the gasket as you tighten the bolts.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
James

Post by James »

I have been able, in the past, to loosen the oil pan, and break the pan gasket free from the front cover without destroying it. Upon re-assembly, if you are careful, you can slide the front cover in between the pan gasket and the head gasket. If oil pan gasket is old - then you are out of luck - but it may be worth a shot, as the pan gasket can be a bit of a pain.......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Next time I need to deal with the oil pan gasket, I know who to call!!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
James

Post by James »

Geez. I knew I shouldn't have written that!
Entrymax

Post by Entrymax »

Would P/N A5061-11399 be a suitable replacement? It's noted as "Japan Replacement", though I do not see any bright links.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dunno, what is it, what's it for? From Nissan? If you're looking up stuff, you might want the help of a professional - Call Chad at Chico Nissan. He's a Realm member, and the best parts guy you can find.

Typically if you're talking timing chains, chains without bright links will have paint marker denoting which links to set the chain up on.
Entrymax

Post by Entrymax »

Well, I ended up getting a Tsubaki timing kit.
Should be in tomorrow. Though the water pump and other seals and gaskets should be in next week.

Should I take the time to replace the oil pump for future insurance or should I go by the saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I really want to install a oil spray bar when I can.

Also wanted to get a Koyo radiator for it, but I need to do the manual swap before that because of the transmission oil cooler.

Where can I go about getting a clutch pedal assembly for the 510.