2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by two_68_510s »

Man those new cameras have great microphones, and fidelity. Felt like I was in the front seat.

Sounded very meaty, strong. Can't wait to hear it wind out.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

two_68_510s wrote:Man those new cameras have great microphones, and fidelity. Felt like I was in the front seat.

Sounded very meaty, strong. Can't wait to hear it wind out.

Here you go....a short full throttle blast. The third to fourth shift was at 7000RPM so just a bit below red line.

http://youtu.be/628z3J_epdg
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Ooohhhh gawd do I miss the sound of ITB's....

Thanks for the auditory stimulus. So you obviously drive Brunette often :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I was going to make a Brunette comment as well haha.

What isn't conveyed through the video is the grin on your face! :D

Car sounds great! It makes me want to put some plates on mine again!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Thanks guys, with sound like that coming from the motor it's hard not bring it up to 7000 for every shift.
I have an office near Braid and Brunette so I am by there rather often. If there is no one in front of me I'm at the speed limit by the end of the first part of the S of the westbound on ramp.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

I was talking to Andy about an engine like this a couple of years ago. You may have just convinced me to pull the trigger...
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Techromancer wrote:I was talking to Andy about an engine like this a couple of years ago. You may have just convinced me to pull the trigger...
Andy is not cheap but you get what you pay for. It is still pulling hard at 7500, runs surprisingly smooth for something with a 580 lift cam and starts easily every time. With my car he is not looking at it like just an engine, he is looking at it as a developing project. With his name on it he would like everything to be done as good as it can be and the whole thing work as a package.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As a lot of you know, Andy has supported me for 38 years now. I have seen so many guys end up at Andy's, where he FIXES the problems that others have created.

So, that person had enough money to do it TWICE, instead of having it done right in the first place.

I never get when people say Andy is expensive, where on the lower mainland do you get the engineering and experience that goes into these projects, with so much care. Engines are not just slapped together, and his carb tuning is extraordinary. Yes he does look at the complete package, water cooling, oil, etc, as that is what also contributes to a long running, high performance car. Andy's cars have brought home more trophy's than you can imagine.

Each one of my street/race motors lasted me for over 10 years of hard core combat, with hardly a hiccup. My latest engine is now going into it's 14th year of FUN and if you look at what the cost was vs time...it was pretty cheap in the scheme of things.

I watched FUNWITHMONKEYS engine and ancillary's being built...no rush, just lots of care.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I couldn't agree with you more Keith. The only place my car will go to have work done from now on is to Andy. He got me some new springs to stiffen things up a bit. After I put them and the adjustable T/C rods in this weekend it will be going back to Andy for an alignment and corner weighting.
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

He's worked on my car before, so I know what to expect money-wise as well as the quality that it brings along with it. He was also ridiculously accommodating when I had to move and basically leave the car with him to get it prepped for shipping. All around awesome guy.

He took it from 'well the car isn't running...again' to taking it on a couple of road trips without even a hiccup. So far he's mostly fixed problems from the previous owner, so it will be good to actually move forward with something more fun.

Back to your car, though. Through a go pro and youtube, it sounds as good as mine does in real life...which means yours has to be ungodly when you're actually sitting in it :D

Have fun and I look forward to seeing at a meet sometime.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It is spine tingling. It makes it hard not to drive like an ass.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Wait till we get out on one of our 400 miles drives...its all about that visceral feel and sound of our engines and chassis...you will have a blast.

Trip teaser picture...
Attachments
RUN BEYOND HOPE 2010
RUN BEYOND HOPE 2010
IMGP0327 (Large).JPG (355.72 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

funwithmonkeys wrote:It is spine tingling. It makes it hard not to drive like an ass.
I've been quietly following along but I have to chime in....

well said :!: I have that exact reaction to most things that make me smile whilst burning more than my share of fossil fuel :mrgreen:
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

funwithmonkeys wrote:Today I got my new QA1 adjustable rear shocks installed. Right out of the box they make quite a difference. The rear doesn't squat nearly as much when you get on it. I'm having a lot of fun turning this set of tires into smoke.
which ones did you get?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

defdes wrote:
funwithmonkeys wrote:Today I got my new QA1 adjustable rear shocks installed. Right out of the box they make quite a difference. The rear doesn't squat nearly as much when you get on it. I'm having a lot of fun turning this set of tires into smoke.
which ones did you get?
HAL-TS704 They are shorter than a stock shock and have are single adjustable. $160 each from summit racing. They adjust through a pretty wide range of dampening. They seem to be good with the new 1100lb rears.