2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Postby funwithmonkeys » 05 Apr 2017 19:42

So I have been chasing noise in my car for a while now. I have gone through just about everything I could think of trying to find where all the noise in my car is coming from and I think I have figured it out. There is a very large amount of whining, rattling vibrating sounds coming from the transmission. Cruising along at 80k with light throttle is the worst. It shifts great. If I am hard on the throttle it sounds much better, most of the noise seems to almost go away...almost. Pull it out of gear at 80k and hold the motor at the same RPM and all the annoying noise is gone. I can violently turn the car back and forth while it is out of gear and still no noise, it is only noisy in gear. I replaced the transmission oil last year and there was nothing suspicious in the old oil. Is it time for replacement? Is there anything else I should try?
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Chickenman

Postby Chickenman » 05 Apr 2017 23:24

Earplugs?? LOL. Rattling of tranny gears is common if you have a Lightweight Flywheel. Not much you can do about that. Unfortunately the best shifting oils also tend to be the lighter ones, such as Redline MT and the AC Delco/GM Friction Modified stuff. Whining can often be bearings. It doesn't take much for a bearing to make noise.

One thing you can do is line the transmission tunnel with DynaMat, HushMat, Noico or a similar product. They make special products that cut down on heat and noise. That can make a considerable difference. Noico seems to be very cost effective.

My 280z has a fair amount of sound deadening already in the car ( Carpet and underlay ), but I'm going to be adding Dynamat to the trunk area ( rear end noise ) tranny tunnel and of course the doors. Door are like Tin cans on our cars.

Yeah, it adds a few pounds. Not a big deal to me.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 06 Apr 2017 05:27

Morning Norm,

One thing I did was to cut some foam and lay it around the shifter area, tucked just under the lip of the trans tunnel, then, I also put some foam up into the shifter boot. This made a hell of a difference with noise transmission (pun intended) from that area. Foam is cheap and it also wicks up the slight weep of oil from the shifter area and you can change it out once a season. I will be doing mine soon once I finish my methanol project so I will take some pics,

I also get a vibration at certain RPM from the shifter pivot, so I put a very HEAVY dollop of grease on that also. As the bushing wears it does get loose. Did Andy put the nice steel insert in there?

And then there is......EARPLUGS.....when I get in the car, the ear plugs go in, just takes the "busyness" out of everything and you can really hear the music of the motor.

We all have that noise with our 5 speeds in various degrees with light load, mine is horrible when I am going downhill off the throttle, which is why I gear down sometimes to get more load through the power train.

It's amazing where and what can cause noise. I had one rattle driving me crazy. So, one day I just sat there in the car and revved the motor to the "vibration/rattle" point, turned out it was the pin on my fire extinguisher. I put a bit of clear hose over the end of the pin and the attachment chain.....quiet.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Postby Three B's Racing » 06 Apr 2017 05:42

510-Trans.jpg
510-Trans.jpg (303.94 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Wow!!! I've been have that exact same noise issue as funwithmonkeys. I have floor insulation and the SR trans tunnel cover but am looking at stuffing it with foam plus the shifter boot as bertvorgan has. Earplugs? no way, at hiway speeds it isn't bad at all and I can actually hear Jimi Crying Mary doh!! But I've gone ahead and started a rebuild on another SR FS5W71C trans for when I have nothing to do I'll slap it in.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 06 Apr 2017 07:33

I go around the car and lightly rap things..panels, cables, brackets...anything really, if it vibrates it must be fixed! The sum total of anything that does that is noise in the car. Even make sure your license plate does not vibrate on the back panel.
Here are a couple of pictures, one of the clear vinyl line I put over the chain, then there is a small piece of tape on the pin end, which stops the pin vibrating, yet would offer no issue if I had to pull it quickly.

There is a small piece of split hose put onto the bottom of my back panel, which just absorbed the small rattle from there.

I even had a bad rattle under the dash, just turned out to be the heater flapper valve if my control lever is not pushed all the way over, simple fix yet was it ever noisy.
Attachments
IMGP2046 (Medium).JPG
IMGP2046 (Medium).JPG (193.26 KiB) Viewed 131 times
IMGP2045 (Medium).JPG
IMGP2045 (Medium).JPG (171.27 KiB) Viewed 131 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 06 Apr 2017 08:47

Thanks guys. Ithe is nice to know that it isn't just me. Keith I have the foam, you suggested that a while ago to me. I went around this week tapping things with a screwdriver. I only found one thing rattling and took care of that. I have sound deadening on the transaction tunnel and carpet covering it. I'm pretty sure all the noise it just from the trans when off or on very light throttle. In neutral it almost all goes away. I might try a different oil in it as Richard suggests. I will have to ask Andy for the sleeve. I should be seeing him at the end of the month for an alignment touchup.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Return to “Project Builds”