2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Postby funwithmonkeys » 04 Aug 2017 20:16

Well I just put the car on the lift to check for any leaks and nut & bolt check. My diff is .a king a bit of noise and one stub has a bit of free rotation in it even though the stub is tight and shows no wear. I think there may be something wrong with the center section after having the CV kit banging away at it. I will probably pull it next week and get it checked out. I don't need that breaking on the road. My clutch slave also just started to leak. Turns out I ordered a better quality master and slave last month. My fluid in the master is turning black after a very short time so I figured the cheap seals in the cheap master and slave are the issue. I will swap them out before out next drive also.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Postby Three B's Racing » 07 Aug 2017 06:33

Typically the ring and pinion free play is about .006" in which you'll see in the stub as "Free Rotation" You can pull the diffs rear cover and setup a dial indicator on a magnetic base and check that play. I'm sure you probably already know this, it's just that I'm a bit bored at work because Nuclear is hurry up and wait 8>)
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 07 Aug 2017 07:53

Three B's Racing wrote:Typically the ring and pinion free play is about .006" in which you'll see in the stub as "Free Rotation" You can pull the diffs rear cover and setup a dial indicator on a magnetic base and check that play. I'm sure you probably already know this, it's just that I'm a bit bored at work because Nuclear is hurry up and wait 8>)

The free play is only on the passenger side stub. On the drivers side you can feel none.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 08 Aug 2017 07:52

Mine is the same, I have some free play on the passenger side, yet the driver side has nothing.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 08 Aug 2017 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 08 Aug 2017 17:04

Interesting. Maybe it is just the way they are. I'm going to put in my catch can for my diff this week and swap out the clutch master and slave next week.

Return to “Project Builds”