2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
duke
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by duke »

funwithmonkeys wrote:Total weight of everything I added was 41lb.
I'm glad to see that you kept track of this. As my car is pretty bare, I've often wondered what the actual weight penalty would be of adding some sound deadening.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have been trying to keep it as light as I could. After a couple of long drives this year I decided it was time for something. The sludge is 8lb per gallon bucket when dry. I think I will used the full 2 gallons that I have. Right now it has 1.5 gallons down. Putting down just 1 gallon would be enough to really quiet down a bare car like you have. I drive my car a lot so it would be nice to be able to talk to a passenger and not yell at them.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well I get out for a short drive Sunday to see how everything felt and sounded. I lowered my steering wheel and moved my seat a bit to try to get closer to an optimum position. It feels really good but I might tweek it a bit to see if it can be better. The wheel being lower made a big difference in the leverage I have on it.
Before I put in all the sound deadening I downloaded an app to record the sound level. It is not completely accurate because it is just using the Mic on my phone but it does give me an idea. I did the same run before and after to test it. I ran it up to 7500rpm in 2nd and 3rd. My high reading before was 89db and after was 84db. I don't have the carpet installed on the trans tunnel yet or any carpet on the floor but that is a pretty big difference. The main thing I notice is the reduction in rattle sounds and resonance from the floor.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

funwithmonkeys wrote: Before I put in all the sound deadening I downloaded an app to record the sound level. It is not completely accurate because it is just using the Mic on my phone but it does give me an idea...
Lowered wheel made a huge difference for me as well.

I have a sound meter that rarely gets used if you want to be really scientific about it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

One of the main things I did to my car in the winter of 1983 was lower the steering wheel and put a bigger one in. Then I modified my bucket seat so I could swing my elbows. Getting the leverage was so important but, a lot of guys did not understand that. They gave me a hard time for my "bus" wheel. The flavour of the day was a 12" steering wheel, great for drag racing but not for Solo use.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well I got out for a autox last weekend. It was a tight course with only 3 spots that I could go full throttle. The rest was corners. It was moist for the whole time I was out and a bit cold so not exactly optimum conditions for my tires. I took more time at the start to walk the course. I walked 8 laps really trying to envision how my car was going to react and where I would be and should be coming in and out of the corners. It really helped walking the extra laps. I knew where I was going right from the start. It was a bit like driving on ice. I started at a 44.7 but I was over doing it into the corners and not getting on my brakes. I was just rolling off the throttle and turning to scrub speed. By the 3rd lap I was down to a 41.2. 5 laps later I was getting hard on the brakes before turning in. I was able to be on the gas sooner and using the throttle to really rotate the car. At this point I was down to a 37.8. The rain started again and my last laps were slower with me crossing the line very sideways and up in the 39's. Pushing to hard at the start was very rough on my front tires. I probably took a quarter of the tread depth off in the first 4 laps. Changing the way I was attacking the corners definitely improved my lap times and saved me from killing any more of my tires. The fastest guys of the day were EVO and the STI down in the 33's with the fastest RWD being the heavily modified miata who even had tire warmers for between his runs. His best was a 33.8.

Having my steering wheel lower made a good difference and it was a lot easier flicking the car around. Considering I was running semi slicks in the wet I am very happy with how I did. It makes me want to get out more and in the dry.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Too bad the event wasn't this past weekend - it was beautiful out there!
I'd really like to get back in to solo II, it's great fun. Maybe later in the year.
I'm hoping to pull the head off the Bronze later this spring and get the guides done, see how it goes. For now I'm just saving up for the 3ph generator needed to get my toys working in the garage :-)
Norm, were you running the event in Pitt Meadows? I should look up the schedule, I'll assume that VCMC is still running the events?

Byron
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It was in pit meadows. VCMC does some events there and there is the UBC SCC that does events also. I have done 2 UBC SCC events now. They would love to have more Datsuns out. There was a couple of guys I spoke to who remember seeing Keith run. One of them even said that watching Keith when he was a kid was what got him into it.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well I got in a set of test tires.
20180406_200626-2217x1663.jpg
20180406_200626-2217x1663.jpg (611.01 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Nanking AR1's. They are slightly wider than the A048. The stack of 4 tires is about an inch taller.
20180406_200649-2822x2117.jpg
20180406_200649-2822x2117.jpg (661.72 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
They are very sticky and have a very stiff sidewall. I can sit on the tire without the rim and there is almost no deflection. They are slightly stiffer than the A048 and just about the same as the as the A050. They picked up a ton of dirt from my little helper rolling them up the driveway.
20180406_180350-1421x1895.jpg
20180406_180350-1421x1895.jpg (665.91 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
They look good on the car also.
20180406_201823-2620x1965.jpg
20180406_201823-2620x1965.jpg (631.69 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
If I can get a bit of dry weather this weekend I will take them out for a spin and see how they feel on the road.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Look forward to your road test. I do not think the sun is ever going to come back.

I'm bleeding the brakes on my car today, new O2 sensor to be installed and some other misc winter maintenance projects to be done....so that should the sun ever show up...the car is ready to go.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well the sun saw fit to come out and shine all day so I got to test the new tires.

Wow, I can't believe that these are $165/tire retail. In comparison to the A048 on the comfort side these are way better. They don't crash over the bumps and don't try to follow every line in the road. On the performance side I only have a few runs down my favorite road but so far there is nothing lacking. The turn in is a bit sharper than the A048. There is NO flex in the sidewall. I can throw it hard into a corner and they take a set right away with no wiggles out of the back end. It felt just as planted as the A048 at the same speeds and the back end only started to come out when using way more power than any tire would handle. It is early but I may like the way these feel better than the A048....and for $100+ per tire less. Unlike the A048 they provide a bit of audible feedback when they are just about to let go. I haven't played with the tire pressures at all yet. I just set them to 30lb and went. I will keep posting my impressions and keep track of how tire pressure affects the feeling.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Found an interesting read on a personal experience with these tires in a track day situations, the guys seams fairly competent;

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f296/nank ... view-9935/

Keith, have you ever had tires rotate on the rims like this? I’ve never marked on to track it, but I will now!

Anyways, their results looked promising. I await more of your feedback Norm.

Byron
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have seen that review also. I started marking my tires last year. In a season I rotated the A048 just under a full turn on the wheel. All 4 of them so when I got these out on I got the guys to line up the valve stems with the yellow dots on the tires and check the balance. The most that one was out was .25 so I just skipped putting weights on them. I don't feel any vibrations in the wheels so far.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, I have had my tires move also. I really used to when running race tires. As the guy said, sometimes balancing race tires is a waste, specially at relatively low speed stuff like Solo.

I usually balance my tires when new of course, then just run them till I THINK I may have a vibration from tire balance.

Why the drag race guys screw their tires to the rim at times.

As I have not really been braking hard nor Solo type launches these many years now, I just do not worry about it.

When I put my new 048's on, I will them on my car and just see how they do over a summer.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

What's really cool is that these tires are available in;

185 & 205/60-13 ($120-135)
185/60-14 ($130)
195 & 205/50-15 ($135-155)
205 & 225/45-16 ($155-175)

There is no official Canadian Nankang site, but these dealers are listed as carrying the AR-1's;

https://www.canadawheels.ca/nankang-tires/ar-1
https://www.awside.com/collections/nank ... /205-60r13

It's the 13" availability that makes me happy - maybe I can re-skin the 13x7 Libre's again with something worthwhile. None of the links above show stock - all "special order" which doesn't surprise me.

Interesting that I don't see the AR-1's listed in the US on the official site;

http://nankangusa.com/tires/performance ... ns-2r.html

And I didn't even find a dealer that carries them.
Tire Rack and Tire warehouse doesn't list the brand.
Discount Tire lists the brand but I can't find an AR-1 for sale.

Got tired of searching....no pun intended.

Byron