2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by icehouse »

funwithmonkeys wrote:I have the zx transmission now. It has the gears below with .745 overdrive and I love it. At 8000 in 4th with my 4.44 gears I am doing 197kmph...yes it lays down in 5th but I don't need to go much faster. I will take the lower rpm on the highway and just have to be on the ball and downshift early when I want to pass or catch someone.
I love the 4.44 gears! It would be nice to have the .745 OD in my car like you have! Freeway is a killer.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

GOOD! As you guys have the most top speed, you can go first to clear the radar for me!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I know with my old trans that had the .86 5th it pulled great past 7500rpm. I did it 3 times (on a closed coarse only of course) and 230 it really really really fast in a 510. I'm pretty sure with the .74 I would have trouble hitting that unless it was a very long stretch of road.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Most I ever did was 140 MPH through the canyon with the Malcinator, that was beyond stupidly fast in a 510, and the car, even with my air dam was really starting to get "floaty"
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Ya I got just past 7500 rpm in 5th and it felt like I was just about to achieve lift off.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

was blown into the slow lane @ 135 with the stock ride height and no air dam
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well seeing as the weather is nice I decided to drive the car into work for the last 2 days. It gives me a good feel for how the tires do on the highway. They gain a lot more pressure as the heat up than the A048 did. I started at 30psi cold and after 30 min on the highway at 90 to 100kph they were up to 37psi. They do not feel good at that pressure. The car felt like it was floating almost. I lowered them down to 30psi when they were hot and they felt great again. I will have to check what the cold temp is and maybe start playing with it to see how they react. They seem to come up to temp faster also. They have grip for days and just make you want to keep diving into sweepers faster to see much they will take. The eastbound HWY1 willingdon off ramp is pretty fun at 90kph.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Norm,

I wanted to follow up with you on 510 Day regarding your tires, now that you have some miles on them, what are your thoughts now on the Taiwan R compounds?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I am still loving them. I really can't believe these are half the price of the A048. I have done a few runs on some very twisty roads up here and it really does feel like I am glued to the road. They are very predictable and I think they are responding to the amount of camber I have on the car better than the Yokohamas. It seems to rotate better on throttle
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Time to order the 13's for next year for me.....

Have you found a more local dealer than Qc or ON? I can't seem to find one myself. I will however call around and let you know if I do find a dealer here.

Byron
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I did find some more local but they charged $40 more per tire. The guy I am dealing with ships for free and had the lowest price I could find.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I got to some maintenance bits today. I checked the valve lash. It was the first time I have ever done it. I was always a bit intimidated by it. Turns out it was really easy. It feels good to do something you have never done before. I checked the cam and lifters and everything looks great.
20180531_212256-2016x1512.jpg
20180531_212256-2016x1512.jpg (539.85 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
I cleaned up a bit of wiring and had a look at the connections on my oil catch can. Turns out the line coming from the valve cover had a loose connection going into the can.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have spent the last couple of days working on corner weighting my car. I have to say that it is not as easy as I thought it would be. I found a helpful site that in the end helped me a bunch.
https://robrobinette.com/corner_weight_calc.htm
I picked up a set of scales for $250. They are good for 700lb each witch is fine for my car.

Here is what I started with.
corner weight start.PNG
corner weight start.PNG (280.75 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
After 2 days of playing with it here is what I got to.
Corner weight.PNG
Corner weight.PNG (191.55 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
I ended up with my cross weight being within .4lb. At the end I was turning the collars 1/8th of a turn and seeing 1lb changes on the scales. I really didn't think that small of a change would be making that much of a difference. I am going to get my alignment checked then check the balance again. Since the accident I have been eating front tires. The car still handles great but the fronts are done after 5000km while the rears look perfect. Hopefully this and the alignment will cure the issue. I have a new respect for Andy's work. My car was pretty close and it still took my many hours to get it where it is. When Andy did it I'm sure his starting point was nowhere near as close as what mine was.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Good work Norm. Did you do the corner weights with your weight in the drivers seat?
Curious, which scales did you end up using or buying?

Byron
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Yes I had equivalent to my weight in the car. I tried to set it up with the weight in the shape of myself so it accurately imitates me.
The scales are PCR-2301. I bought 1 to start with to test it. I ran it up to 690lb a bunch of times and the only time I got more than .5lb variance was when the scale was not level. If your thinking of doing your car we could work something out for you to use them.