2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by icehouse »

I have the Troy Ermish kit as well. I find it odd, if I rip on my car in first gear, like to 7500RPMs then let off and compression brake its like my car is bouncing off back lash or something. At first I figured it was the motor mounts maybe. You guys have me worried. It didn't do it with the dog bones.
Have you guys noticed the same thing?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Yes that is one of the things that was happening.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well my new diff has arrived. R180 CLSD with 4.444 gears. I opened it up and inspected the gears. They have a great wear pattern. I am ordering a high capacity billet aluminum cover for it and axle stubs. I'm going to glean it up this weekend and giver it a coat of paint.
I also just ordered some new headlights. After the last drive where I was blinding Keith for the first 2 hours I tried adjusting them and could not get them to a place where they had any sort of cut off line. I did a bunch of research and found a new set that I am going to give a try. They have a sharp cut off line, are SAE DOT approved and are still super bright. They are LED Projectors that are mostly used in Harley's. I will post up some pictures when I get them in.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

icehouse wrote:I have the Troy Ermish kit as well. I find it odd, if I rip on my car in first gear, like to 7500RPMs then let off and compression brake its like my car is bouncing off back lash or something. At first I figured it was the motor mounts maybe. You guys have me worried. It didn't do it with the dog bones.
So your 510 itself is bucking back and forth or is it making noises like bouncing off back lash?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Three B's Racing wrote:
icehouse wrote:I have the Troy Ermish kit as well. I find it odd, if I rip on my car in first gear, like to 7500RPMs then let off and compression brake its like my car is bouncing off back lash or something. At first I figured it was the motor mounts maybe. You guys have me worried. It didn't do it with the dog bones.
So your 510 itself is bucking back and forth or is it making noises like bouncing off back lash?
Yeah if I compression brake off high revs in first or second mostly.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well I spent some time on my lights this week. I ordered a pair of LED headlights that are sold as being for a Harley. They are quite bright, not as bright as the old ones but they have a great cut-off line so I won't be blinding Keith anymore.
light pattern.jpg
light pattern.jpg (630.81 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
They are copies of the JW Speaker lights I really wanted to get originally but at 1/8th the cost. The pair was $108.

My R180 CLSD is going in on Wednesday or Thursday.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Do you have a picture of the front end with the lights installed? I am looking for a similar setup with cheap chinese knockoffs black housings harley lights.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Fred_L-P wrote:Do you have a picture of the front end with the lights installed? I am looking for a similar setup with cheap chinese knockoffs black housings harley lights.
they are the Genssi LED lights. I will take a picture later for you.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

I've been wanting to ask for suggestions to upgrade my headlights. When I assembled my car a little over a year ago I put the sealed beams back in, they are terrible.

Looking forward to your pictures.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

2DoorJim wrote:I've been wanting to ask for suggestions to upgrade my headlights. When I assembled my car a little over a year ago I put the sealed beams back in, they are terrible.

Looking forward to your pictures.
The best I have found are the JW speaker LED lights. I think they are around double the output of these with an even sharper cutoff line. They were about $500/light USD or about $9836483 CAD. These I got from Amazon for $54 CAD each You do need to change the wiring to work with H5001 lights but that is pretty easy. I did need to cut off the back half of the bucket for the light also. The heat sink is just a bit too big. Compared to the other LED lights I had that shot out light in every direction, these have a great cutoff line. They are very bright but I can stand 25' in front of the car and am not blinded by them unless the high beams are on. I can still see in to read OMP on my seats. I drove with them last night up here in the land of no street lights and on low beam I was able to see very well and for a surprising distance and yet not light up the driver in the civic in front of me's rear view mirror. On high they lit up from one stop sign to just before the next on my street and standing in front of the car 25' away was about the same as trying to stare into the sun.....I saw spots for a few min after.

light.jpg
light.jpg (481.7 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
light lit.jpg
light lit.jpg (656.33 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
light pattern.jpg
light pattern.jpg (630.81 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
They are hard to take a picture of anywhere near straight on. The Poly-carbonate lens is so reflective all I get is a picture of myself.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Well that answers my questions about where to buy too. Nice lights.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Interesting take on the 5.75" headlight. I like the idea though as it combines the highbeams into the lowbeam enclosure, freeing up two headlight ports for other use. I'm wondering how you adapted the headlight to the 510 buckets? Also, what about the wiring? Would you be willing to do a how-to write up for this product?

I see alternatives available to the expensive JW brands...reasonable enough to take a risk on them.

Thanks!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

loungin112 wrote:Interesting take on the 5.75" headlight. I like the idea though as it combines the highbeams into the lowbeam enclosure, freeing up two headlight ports for other use. I'm wondering how you adapted the headlight to the 510 buckets? Also, what about the wiring? Would you be willing to do a how-to write up for this product?

I see alternatives available to the expensive JW brands...reasonable enough to take a risk on them.

Thanks!
The mod to the headlight bucket is pretty simple. Just cut most of the back off turning it into a 1.5" deep ring really. I can see about a write up on the wiring. I think I found it on the realm already and it is what I copied. I will try and take some pictures this week and put it up.
As for the lights themselves almost any of the LED ones for Harley are great. They run from $45 to $600. In my opinion the expensive ones are not $550 better than the $54 ones I bought. There is another Genssi one that is $85/light that is pretty good also.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

I'm guessing the bucket mod is similar to fitting for the BMW ellipsoids. The wiring would be incredibly helpful though. Thanks in advance.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

The lights look goofy but the results sure look great!

Can you post a link to the ones you found? What wattage and lumens?

I found these
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B019JCPTB ... AKE7YYRRPE

And these
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01HYB9T7 ... th=1&psc=1

Thanks!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)