2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Postby funwithmonkeys » 16 Jun 2017 19:54

I got my fuel filters replaced today. I also had had my first try at replacing a u joint on one of the half shafts I just put in. It got about 100km before it got a bunch of play in it. It looks like it was probably the original one in there. The shaft had been painted a few times and there was a bit of rust bonding the clips to the u joints. After much scraping and hammering I got it apart and 10 min to put it back together. I am going to my first Autox on sunday so I went over everything I have done in the last few months to make sure all the bolts are tight. Made sure nothing was binding in the sway bar. Looks like I'm ready to go.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Byron510

Postby Byron510 » 17 Jun 2017 06:32

Where are you competing in an auto x?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 17 Jun 2017 06:55

I was wondering that also, Pitt Airport?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 17 Jun 2017 07:33

That's it. UBCSCC puts them on there. It's only $53. I figure I will do a few of these before going out to do a trackday at mission.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 17 Jun 2017 10:55

Let me know how the course is. Send a pic of the course map if they have one. I'm curious is to how tight they maybe...or not.

Hopefully the rain holds off tomorrow.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 17 Jun 2017 11:39

They have the map here and a video of someone driving it.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... D8F72B5E8E

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 17 Jun 2017 11:56

Thanks, does not let me see map. Just where Pitt Airport is. Maybe I will watch video after I get my deck laid down.

What it did let me see is the entry list...which reminds me of why I don't want to slalom any more, long days, lots of standing, not much seat time. Been there done that...A LOT!

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 17 Jun 2017 13:02

Ya it should be interesting with 85 cars. The track days at mission have a lot less cars but they cost 5 times as much. I think that they will be much more fun. I just need to do a few of these first before they will let me on the track with the R compound tires.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 17 Jun 2017 13:34

Right, I forgot you are new at this.

Hillclimbs were like that, you had to have done some high speed events or a raft of solo before you could run.

Make sure you get there early to walk the course.

Have fun!

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 17 Jun 2017 13:47

Exactly Keith. You have to be there before 8:30 to walk the coarse. If you don't walk it you don't drive. I need to have done 3 events before I can get on mission with the R compounds. Or I could just go buy some Roadhandlers and get on the track at mission right away. I don't really understand why they will let you on the track with crappy tires right away but you need experience to get on with good tires.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 17 Jun 2017 14:00

I kinda always wondered about that, never made sense to me.

I used to get the course REALLY early, so I could have nice time to walk the course, get my mental picture FIRMLY embedded in my brain. I would do at least 3 laps ( on the HUGE course). Then I would go and sit quietly in my car, roll the window up so no one can talk to you, close your eyes, and run the course mentally, see if I could remember it and see it in my mind.

Do they even bother with TECH anymore?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 17 Jun 2017 14:56

While I think of it....are you going to be up in the interior next weekend? I'm leaving at 4:00 AM to be in Penticton by 8:00-8:30, do the car show and then head home in the dinner hour'ish. You said you were staying in Oliver or Osoyoos?

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 17 Jun 2017 15:19

They do have a pretty basic tech for the autox. Just making sure the car is safe to run.
I am going to Osoyoos on Friday for a week with my family. Maybe I will see if my boy wants to go to the car show in Saturday. It would be a good time for him.....and me.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 18 Jun 2017 11:29

Well the sky decides to vomit all over my plans once more. I woke up at 5am and look out the window to rain. I check the weather for the drive to the autox and rain all the way with rain expected till the afternoon. So I went back to bed.
In other news my mother in law, who is a bee keeper , was 6 feet up a ladder catching a swarm and decided to walk forward drown the ladder. She promptly fell the full 6 feet and smashed her shoulder so I will be able to help out around her farm today instead of driving my car.

duke
Supporter

Postby duke » 18 Jun 2017 12:04

bertvorgon wrote:I used to get the course REALLY early, so I could have nice time to walk the course, get my mental picture FIRMLY embedded in my brain. I would do at least 3 laps ( on the HUGE course). Then I would go and sit quietly in my car, roll the window up so no one can talk to you, close your eyes, and run the course mentally, see if I could remember it and see it in my mind.

I have the same routine. I want to be able to run the course in my head before I ever take a run in real life. I don't understand the people out there casually walking the course having a conversation with friends, not really paying attention to what they are looking at...to me that is one of the things that separates the OK drivers from the fast guys.

Of coarse there is always the guy who can show up late, make a quick walk of the course, and go out and set top time of the day on his/her first run...
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."

Return to “Project Builds”