2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
510rob

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by 510rob »

funwithmonkeys wrote:...and dropped mine off at Bert's Auto to get it looked at. Turns out my gear set is destroyed. That CV kit is getting more expensive every day...
A) Could you post a picture of the destroyed gears?
B) Why do you think the mentioned damage was commutatively caused by the CV kit?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

2DoorJim wrote:Aside from the stub axles you need to swap the pinion flange for one from a Datsun diff.

R160 vs R180... 180 is stronger (lesser known to break under abuse) than 160, comes with added weight unfortunately. If your existing 160 broke will it happen again with another 160?
I am planning on more power in the not too distant future and I'm sure these diff are not going to be getting cheaper so I'm thinking I may just get it now even if I don't put it in right away.
510rob wrote: A) Could you post a picture of the destroyed gears?
B) Why do you think the mentioned damage was commutatively caused by the CV kit?
I will be picking it up Monday and get a picture of the gears posted. I'm pretty sure the CV caused the failure because the CV kit was starting to make more noise and had a vibration that started one day and got worse to the point I removed the kit and replaced it with the the stock axles. The vibration went away and most of the noise went away but there was now a whine from the diff which was not there before. If I had pulled the diff immediately it may have been ok but I didn't. I drove it till it was really loud and unbearable.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Did you inspect the worn out diff before it went in?
What oil did you run?
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

The diff was rebuilt with and the gear set put in by Bert's Auto after I bought it. The gear set was from an open diff out of a low mileage car that was crashed and looked to be in perfect shape. I was using Redline Shockproof gear oil. I had it inspected earlier this year and everything looked good in it. It is only after the CV issue that I noticed anything. The CV kit had some pretty bad tolerances in it with 5+ degrees of play in it. The CV kit was still packed with grease and showed signs of heat on the inboard side that was making noise. That was also the side it felt like the vibration was coming from.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Who's CV kit do you have FutoFab or Ermish? I haev the Ermish kit and lost an inbord CV on the drivers side this past June. I have Topic "Failed CV" you may have seen. I took that failed axle apart yesterday and talk about a lot of play between the CV and axle splines. I'll be posting pic and a write up in Failed CV so ck it out.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Three B's Racing wrote:Who's CV kit do you have FutoFab or Ermish? I haev the Ermish kit and lost an inbord CV on the drivers side this past June. I have Topic "Failed CV" you may have seen. I took that failed axle apart yesterday and talk about a lot of play between the CV and axle splines. I'll be posting pic and a write up in Failed CV so ck it out.
It was Troy's kit also. Mine had the same thing. A lot of play in the splines.

I will post some pictures of the ring gear tomorrow. I got a good look at it today and the drive side is looking pretty worn. All of the sharp edges on it are rounded. I couldn't find another 4.44 gear set for it so I got a 4.11. I also picked up a R180 CLSD with 4.44's in it. It should be arriving early next week. It will be a bit before the axle stubs arrive so I will just run the R160 till they come in and I can put in the R180. Does the R160 moustache bar work with the R180? I'm also going to get a larger diff cover for the R180.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

funwithmonkeys wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:Who's CV kit do you have FutoFab or Ermish? I haev the Ermish kit and lost an inbord CV on the drivers side this past June. I have Topic "Failed CV" you may have seen. I took that failed axle apart yesterday and talk about a lot of play between the CV and axle splines. I'll be posting pic and a write up in Failed CV so ck it out.
It was Troy's kit also. Mine had the same thing. A lot of play in the splines.

I will post some pictures of the ring gear tomorrow. I got a good look at it today and the drive side is looking pretty worn. All of the sharp edges on it are rounded. I couldn't find another 4.44 gear set for it so I got a 4.11. I also picked up a R180 CLSD with 4.44's in it. It should be arriving early next week. It will be a bit before the axle stubs arrive so I will just run the R160 till they come in and I can put in the R180. Does the R160 moustache bar work with the R180? I'm also going to get a larger diff cover for the R180.
Dammit!! a Troy kit. I found that the CV's were on the axles backwards and am wondering if thats what my cause was? The moustache bar will work with the Subie R180. If the R180 has the threaded studs in the cover pull them out and use bolts, it makes it a lot easier to mount. Check out the pics on "CV Failed" discussion here.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have followed that threat Lou. It's funny that my kit shows the same evidence of heat even though mine was still packed with grease.

I'm putting the R160 back in with the 4.11's for our drive this weekend. It's pretty amazing how much of a difference having the 4.44's made in my car. She feels slugish with the 3.9 diff in.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

GEARS are the cheapest form of horsepower!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well my R180 with 4.44's arrives Monday. All I need is stubs and I am good to go again. I have searched for 4.6 gears but the only ones I found were in Greece.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

funwithmonkeys wrote:I have followed that threat Lou. It's funny that my kit shows the same evidence of heat even though mine was still packed with grease.

I'm putting the R160 back in with the 4.11's for our drive this weekend. It's pretty amazing how much of a difference having the 4.44's made in my car. She feels slugish with the 3.9 diff in.
Yeah not sure what to do about the Ermish axles, do I buy better axles or put the dog bones back in? I contacted Troy with this " there is a lot of axle rotation within the CV ball cages splines “a lot” is this normal?" and he responded with this "You have bad info. There is not a directional rotation in a CV. Call me. BTW, based on the amount of rust in the picture of the cv you ran it dry" He's not listening plus I told him over and over the grease leaked out between the boot and CV. That is not rust but actually heat build up as no water got in there it was void of lube=HEAT. I'm thinking he's afraid I'm going to ask for $$ back or something when really what I want is a solution maybe better spline cut axles. Thinking of Futofab axles as I've not heard of any play with them plus Dave is only an hour away 8>)
- John Lennon
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Three B's Racing wrote:I'm thinking he's afraid I'm going to ask for $$ back or something when really what I want is a solution maybe better spline cut axles. Thinking of Futofab axles as I've not heard of any play with them plus Dave is only an hour away 8>)
I would take Troy up on a call. He does have a newer version of the CV kit with supposedly tighter tolerance on the axles. That being said, I have the newer kit and it still has more play than I want. You will have the same issue with the Futofab kit. The only US-based kit I would invest in would be the DSS kit. My Nissan OEM parts kit was just finished and will be shipped from Australia shortly. Will update once the kit is installed but it has factory tolerances with virtually no play at all.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I emailed to Troy about mine and he said for just the axles he wanted around $300. He told me there was nothing wrong with my kit and that's just the way they are even though there is obviously something wrong with That much okay in the parts. That gets him put firmly on my "Do not buy from" list.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

funwithmonkeys wrote:I emailed to Troy about mine and he said for just the axles he wanted around $300. He told me there was nothing wrong with my kit and that's just the way they are even though there is obviously something wrong with That much okay in the parts. That gets him put firmly on my "Do not buy from" list.
Yeah! unfortunately I'm thinking the samething.
- John Lennon
Three B's Racing
Supporter

TheHeretic wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:I'm thinking he's afraid I'm going to ask for $$ back or something when really what I want is a solution maybe better spline cut axles. Thinking of Futofab axles as I've not heard of any play with them plus Dave is only an hour away 8>)
I would take Troy up on a call. He does have a newer version of the CV kit with supposedly tighter tolerance on the axles. That being said, I have the newer kit and it still has more play than I want. You will have the same issue with the Futofab kit. The only US-based kit I would invest in would be the DSS kit. My Nissan OEM parts kit was just finished and will be shipped from Australia shortly. Will update once the kit is installed but it has factory tolerances with virtually no play at all.
Yeah I'm not calling to be told I'm wrong and there's nothing wrong with the tolerances because the set he has on his race car hasn't been an issue and I should every year cut the safety wire, pull the axles out and clean the CV's then regrease them, reinstall and rewire, that is a whole lot of work for a car I put maybe 6k miles a year on. Geeezus, If I was told or read I had to service them yearly I would not have made the purchase. That type of maintenance should be stated on his site with the pictures of the kit. I've not heard any complaints on the Futofab kits.
- John Lennon