2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: It begins with the small stuff

Post by funwithmonkeys »

S15DET wrote:Great looking car. It's a '69 for the most part, but missing the rear round quarter lights. Is there evidence of the holes being welded up in the inside of the trunk? I've always liked the look of those wheels on a 510. Nice color too. Great find!
I will try and take a few pictures in the next couple of days. At some point someone welded in a bit of metal. It looks like a pretty clean job.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I did some work this weekend, got the front suspension totally dismantled and all the new parts put together and back in. Techno toys camber plates, lower control arms and weld on coil over kit., All I have left to do is install new brake lines for the front. I should have my wheel spacers this weekend and be able to get an alignment done so I can take it out for a squirt!
Attachments
mmmm coil overs
mmmm coil overs
IMG_00001602-1.jpg (748.79 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
out with the old and in with the new
out with the old and in with the new
IMG_00001631-1.jpg (702.77 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
IMG_00001636-1.jpg
IMG_00001636-1.jpg (737.38 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
it looks good installed
it looks good installed
IMG_00001649-1.jpg (743.6 KiB) Viewed 5805 times
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

S15DET wrote:Great looking car. It's a '69 for the most part, but missing the rear round quarter lights. Is there evidence of the holes being welded up in the inside of the trunk? I've always liked the look of those wheels on a 510. Nice color too. Great find!
Here is what it looks like on the inside of the trunk. There isn't much to see but I would like to eventually get it down to bare metal and see what it looks like underneath. From the outside you can't tell where the markers were.
Attachments
IMG_20140128_195451-1.jpg
IMG_20140128_195451-1.jpg (518.28 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

This weekend I got a couple of things done that I wasn't expecting. First I noticed a clearance issue with the steering knuckle and ball joint bolt....turns out the ball joint needs to be above the lower control arm not below as they came from T3 :oops: it would have been nice is I would have noticed before I got it all put together. I also noticed a that my 1" roll bar connects with my front cross-member when I got it down to the ride height I wanted so I had to shorten the links, I think this will just be a temporary solution till I get a new roll bar or something else that will work with this one. I notched the front strut towers so I could get the most out of my camber plates.
I just received my wheel spacers today so I should be able to go for a drive this week finally!
Attachments
IMG_20140203_173505-1.jpg
IMG_20140203_173505-1.jpg (636.38 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
IMG_20140203_173428-1.jpg
IMG_20140203_173428-1.jpg (694.4 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Did you get the roller bearing top hats for use with the camber plates? The solid/one-piece top hats won't work well with camber plates.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

okayfine wrote:Did you get the roller bearing top hats for use with the camber plates? The solid/one-piece top hats won't work well with camber plates.
Yes I did, the come with the coil-over kit from T3.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Finally got her back on the ground, I think I'm going to have to play with my ride height a bit so it's a bit more Vancouver roads friendly but it does look good like this. Tomorrow I'm going to have to pull the wheels back off and shave a couple of mm off the inside of the caliper as the just touch the spacers sometimes.
Attachments
IMG_20140208_161648-1.jpg
IMG_20140208_161648-1.jpg (654.56 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
IMG_20140208_161710-1.jpg
IMG_20140208_161710-1.jpg (618.74 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The stance looks great. How is the clearance for the tires on the rear? The offset looks really quite good.
I like the plate BTW.

It'd be great to see your car out at the local shows this year.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Byron510 wrote:The stance looks great. How is the clearance for the tires on the rear? The offset looks really quite good.
I like the plate BTW.

It'd be great to see your car out at the local shows this year.

Byron
Thanks Byron,
There is a good 10-12m clearance for the rears. The only thing thats been causing issues is the giant front callipers.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I took it out for a short drive today in the monsoon weather to make sure the calipers now cleared the wheel spacers. I spent an hour with the dremmel to get the space I needed after shaving down the edge of the spacer. It feels much better with the new springs and suspension bits.
Next weekend it's on to the inside to get the hole on the transmission tunnel patched up and create a panel for the new water temp, oil pressure and voltmeter gauges.
Attachments
IMG_20140210_143837-1.jpg
IMG_20140210_143837-1.jpg (591.46 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
IMG_20140210_143441.jpg
IMG_20140210_143441.jpg (549.58 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

when you make your shifter boot adapter, you may want to make provision to put some foam in there.
I have some that fits into the actual adapter, then, a nice piece that fits up into the boot. This both soaks up any oil that always seems to bleed out, and, helps quieten the noise that can come up through the boot. If your out in Richmond, feel free to stop in and look at mine.

You can just see the adapter box I made for my shifter boot and hole cover.
Attachments
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG (144.82 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

bertvorgon wrote:when you make your shifter boot adapter, you may want to make provision to put some foam in there.
I have some that fits into the actual adapter, then, a nice piece that fits up into the boot. This both soaks up any oil that always seems to bleed out, and, helps quieten the noise that can come up through the boot.
Thanks! That's a great tip, I am planning on using some sound deadening material on it but hadn't thought of the noise through the boot. I'm sure I have some foam around I can use to jam in there. I'm going to make a template out of cardboard this week and see if I can get it put together this weekend. My car is missing many rubber grommets and plugs so I really need to pull the interior and put all the new ones I have in. Then it will be onto cleaning off all the surfaces for the new sound deadening material.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: It begins with the small stuff...1.6L of fun

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Went and got some new tires today. Falken RT-615 195/60 R14.....turns out I don"t have as much clearance as I thought. I had to raise my ride height up about an inch so the tires don't rub. It's worth it though....they sure are sticky!!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The Azenis are known to be wide for their size.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

okayfine wrote:The Azenis are known to be wide for their size.
They for sure are, I had the same size coopers on the rear and had enough room for my fingers inside the fender....these rub on small bumps. It's ok though, I'll just get those new springs sooner than I planned.