Having Fun with a Dime

View and post your 510 project(s)
DiMeCelso
Supporter

Re: Having Fun with a Dime

Post by DiMeCelso »

Ordered my coilovers , ended up with rear GCs and fronts as well. 8610 inserts in the front spring rates are 375/300. Pretty much have the all suspension parts on order, just need to find 280zx front housings.

Going through the local CL ad found shortened 240z housings with AFCO sleeves installed already. May take a look at it later or tomorrow .

As for the 510 well just started to take the interior apart, bled the clutch because it wouldn't engage. Took it out for a quick spin. :)Parked it in the driveway to start making my garage more DIY'er friendly. Getting everything out ofstorage to get my "work place" situated.

For now got some rota rkr 15x9 -10 and 15x8 +0

Picked up a tig welder and waiting for my mig welder to come in next week. Years ago I bought a lot of fab stuff ended up selling a couple of things due to career duties. but kept some essentials-workbench, toolbox, bandsaw, drill press, and 20 ton shop press will be pulled out of storage next week.

When garage is set, will be full steam ahead for my 510.
@DAKO51O on IG
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Z struts don't work, spindle angle is wrong and bolt spacing is different. ZX is the way to go (or 910 or S11/S12 with various issues).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
DiMeCelso
Supporter

Post by DiMeCelso »

okayfine wrote:Z struts don't work, spindle angle is wrong and bolt spacing is different. ZX is the way to go (or 910 or S11/S12 with various issues).

thanks!!! I just found that out....:)
@DAKO51O on IG
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Here comes the Z guy with crazy ideas again....

The Z king pin angle is somewhere between 2 and 3 degrees larger, giving you an immediate + camber disadvantage if you're trying to get to some racy -3,-4 or -5 deg numbers. Not good. The fact that you have to drill at least two more holes in your strut tower top to fit the smaller Z upper insulator bolt circle is also something you might not want to do either.

Now, if, and only if, you are welding in some camber adjusting plates up top anyway, and since the ID of the top of the 510 strut mounting bulge gives you SO much more room to move the much smaller Z (stock) springs and upper insulator around up in there, you MIGHT be able to get that initial 2-3 degree penalty back pretty easy.

Another issue is the thing about zx hubs reducing the overall track width (hope I'm not perpetuating some myth, but don't early 300Zx hubs fix this?), maybe the early S30 hubs don't have this reduction penalty, but maybe its the same or worse, have to check into that.

Not saying its right, just that it might be possible to use Z struts. I suspect this has been thought about extensively in the past. What say yee, experts?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

zKars wrote: just that it might be possible to use Z struts. I suspect this has been thought about extensively in the past. What say yee, experts?
You'd still need to address the mounting pattern dissimilarities at the balljoint end of the strut.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Aha, the bolt pattern at the bottom is different. Well that would be the final "why would ya bother" point then, wouldn't it.
Ok, I give...
DiMeCelso
Supporter

Post by DiMeCelso »

Fitted the the wheels and tires testing out 205/50/15---I also have 195/50/15 but don't like the difference in height. Being I will keep a staggered setup---aiming for 225/45/15 rears and 205/50/15 fronts(easily fits). Stock suspensionstill, everything is on it's way but still looking for 280zx housings.

rears are 15x9-10 and fronts are 15x8+0(both wheels have 205/50/15)

rear clearance

225s can fit but will hold off on purchasing it. My lady told me the other night she likes BRE style fenders better:) I have to make sure either way that it will for the the BRE style fenders(looking at others it should clear)
@DAKO51O on IG
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DiMeCelso wrote:205/50/15 fronts(easily fits). Stock suspensionstill, everything is on it's way but still looking for 280zx housings.
The ZX struts will pull the wheels in ~.75" per side. Going to change things relative to clearance to the strut and to the fender.
DiMeCelso
Supporter

Post by DiMeCelso »

it's been months for an update and while I have everything about ready to go I'm
way behind on schedule.The biggest snag was not getting parts I really needed from a member here . I had to cancel my reservations twice at the body shop because of this. If anyone knows Shawn from Vancouver,B.C pleae
contact me.

Anyhow with my timeline I'm looking at two options selling this one and buying one that is "better" intact to ship to my country or leave this one here at a shop ,wait til it is all done and have it shipped.

I do have it posted in my local CL but as time goes on I'm fixing the body, a quick fix since it's free and lets me at least work on it until I figure things out.

I'm going to patch stuff up this week to get the body at least decent.

This how it sits with 205s up front and 225s in the rear

[url=http://s249.photobucket.com/user/dmcels ... a.jpg.html]Image[/]
@DAKO51O on IG
DiMeCelso
Supporter

Post by DiMeCelso »

Hello guys!!!! I'm back after a long hiatus----between work and leaving the country I had to either sell my 510 or keep it and I'm glad I kept it. I put it in storage after selling a few parts hoping to pull it back out and finishing it. I dropped my 510 off at the body shop to get it completed!!!:)keeping the box flares for now.

After selling a few parts last year and also losing a lot of money and a tig welder to a fellow forumer I've decided to keep on the path I originally planned.

Here are my parts I've kept. I have two heads and this one in the pic is actually for sale on ebay but may keep for "just in case" :)

So for now I'm on the look out for front coilovers 280zx housings and disc brakes all the way around.
@DAKO51O on IG
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

Another box flared car! Welcome to the club . Did they mini tub your car?
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
DiMeCelso
Supporter

Post by DiMeCelso »

no mini tub yet :) Im gonna put everything together dial it in and really spend time on the suspension/chassis.I will do a mini tub if needed.

The l16 I have to tune since it's really rough and won't start, takes 10 tries as long as the batt doesn't die on me.

rear end I'm trying to figure out if we can get a diff from another platform that won't take too much fabbing or hard to one offs.the r200 is a killer to get and if so its relatively expensive...goes for 1,000 plus cv joints another 900 or so.
@DAKO51O on IG