1971 2 Door, L16 --> 2.1 Long Rod --> CA18DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 1971 2 Door 70s build

Post by okayfine »

Looking at the wheel fitment above, it might be a case of the wheels no longer fitting if camber/toe's corrected.

That said, I second the "do it now." Even if you retain the stock settings, you won't have to disassemble all over again when you decide you want to fix the camber and toe.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

okayfine wrote:Looking at the wheel fitment above, it might be a case of the wheels no longer fitting if camber/toe's corrected.

That said, I second the "do it now." Even if you retain the stock settings, you won't have to disassemble all over again when you decide you want to fix the camber and toe.
I agree that they probably wouldn't fit with proper camber, more than likely going to leave it as it is for now. Maybe one day i'll add the brackets but only have a few weeks till i leave for 3 months so don't really have time to order anything else before i head out.

Brought my crossmember with me to work today and spent the day cleaning it up and pressing the old bearings out. Only a handful of us there since it's March break so able to work my own stuff. Might get the crossmember sandblasted by a co worker if there's time tomorrow. When i got home went to work on the diffs, took the old r160 stubs out, pressed the axle studs out of them and went to change the driveshaft flange but my cheap impact wouldn't budge the nut... Guess that's coming with me to work tomorrow as well haha.

Crossmember all cleaned up and waiting on primer/paint

The old crusty r160 next to the slightly newer, slightly less crusty R180. It'll be getting cleaned up and painted too

Last edited by Canadian510 on 13 Jul 2017 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Another day another update!

Didn't bring my diffs with me to work since I didn't want diff oil all over the back of my car, going to sign out one of the heavy duty impacts and bring it home Monday to get the input flanges off. Was able to get the mustache bar bushings pressed out and then sandblasted and pressed my axle studs into the stub axles. I order my set through T3 and there was no way those studs were going in with anything other than a hydraulic press, VERY tight fit.

Everything all finished up

[Image
Last edited by Canadian510 on 13 Jul 2017 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Everything is all back together for the moment with a few small things left to do, just bleed the brakes, fill the diff, and reconnect the exhaust

Also prepping the 620 to travel to my new place so I can finally work on it once I get back from Alberta. Engine choice has been narrowed down but don't want to let that cat out of the bag yet :wink:
Last edited by Canadian510 on 13 Jul 2017 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Thought I'd throw up some of the toys I'm getting to play with while away for work, a 40+ litre 1500hp V12

Was finishing up changing a hydraulic line in this pic. The cooling system and transmission/engine are all a easily changeable unit.

And since they weigh over 11 tons need quite the engine crane to pull them out

In Datsun news bought some rear coilovers from T3 and am really looking into some brakes next.
Last edited by Canadian510 on 13 Jul 2017 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

finally back and did some small things to the 510, threw the t3 rear coilovers on and currently dialling them in. Went for a good long drive and had them settle a little in this pic, need to raise them back up slightly now

Next on the list is to throw the wilwoods on, this is my first set of real brakes, quite the difference just visually

And in other news finally got the 620 home and plan to start tearing into that soon

Started a build thread in the Other Projects category for it.
Last edited by Canadian510 on 13 Jul 2017 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Finally got the Wilwoods on and took the car for a drive with a buddy, feels good to actually drive it again!

Went to a little meet around town in a huge parking lot, all the young guys with new cars at one end and the older guys at the other end with their classics. We parked in the middle and had a good mix of everyone coming over to see them, cool how everyone seems to love the Datsuns.

Also have to go through this thread and fix all my PhotoJunk links :(
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Did the Wilwood setup come from T3 as well, or did you DIY a bracket/rotor swap?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

okayfine wrote:Did the Wilwood setup come from T3 as well, or did you DIY a bracket/rotor swap?
They came from Don at DP Racing, can't say anything but good things about the products and Don himself, real easy guy to get along with.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Went for some more rides and got a new background picture for the computer!

Also had an offer from a local car photographer to do some shoots of the car, definitely going to do that in the near future!
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Been awhile since I updated this thread, took the car to a local show and ended up with an award.

Not exactly the kind everyone would like to get Haha, wish it was worded more towards a rat rod theme like they explained it but oh well, still looks good on the shelf.

And because I can't leave well enough alone looking into a new engine for the car. Love the long rod but want something with a little more driveability, something with efi that I can take on long rides and not be worried about.

Have a certain engine in mind but we'll see what happens.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Well went on a pretty good drive to pick up the engines yesterday, a 16 hour round trip to Montreal and back.

Unloaded them from the truck this morning and finally got a picture of them

A SR20DE and FWD SR20VE. Going to swap the VE head onto the DE bottom end for some high rpm fun with some beefy internals for the DE. Probably do cams and springs in the head to make it a little wilder too.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Got the DE onto the stand and tore into her today.

Looks good at first glance but the big one will be the bottom end when i get to that.

On the stand waiting for disassembly

With the head and most of the small stuff attached to the block removed

Probably tackle the bottom end and the front cover tomorrow, then move on to the VE head.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

SR20's are pretty engines.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
broke

Post by broke »

Those VE's seem to make some big numbers when done right, looks like a great upgrade.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked