Project Camatsun - RUNNING AND DRIVING!

View and post your 510 project(s)
wcrowe

Project Camatsun - RUNNING AND DRIVING!

Post by wcrowe »

I picked up a 72 510 a few months ago and am just about to get the ball rolling on it. It's got an unfinished 3800ii engine in it from the 96-00 Gen camaro/fbd. It came as a California roller that's been sitting on the east coast for 5 years (rust has started... But nothing really bad). Came with koni coilovers on it (brand new), engine and trans, subaru LSD (not hooked up yet), very little interior, and no paint.

Now I'm fully aware that this swap isn't exactly common, this weekend i'll be figuring out how I'm going to route my steering to get around the engine /how much of the oil pan I'll be hacking up.

My background is all over imports. I've had an 80s 300zx (sadly no turbo), 93 del sol si, 91 mr2 turbo, 74 260z, and my DD is an 04 IS300. That said this is my first serious project. I'll be working on it with my Dad (I'm a 21 year old engineering student at Virginia Tech) who built his first car in a junk yard and has always been my go to guy for car help.

Looking foreword to sharing my progress and learning from you guys.
Last edited by wcrowe on 02 Mar 2019 12:02, edited 2 times in total.

Re: New Guy with unique project

Post by 3411 »

post pix

Post by 3411 »

AND WELLCOME
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hello and welcome to The Realm. If you could put your location in your profile, that'll help us know where you are.

Feel free to post pictures of your car/swap. How unfinished in the V6? Definitely not a common swap, but depending on the version of the engine, it should work out well. Hop-up parts are certainly just a catalog away.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

The V6 in the car is a 3800 type ii out of a 96 Camaro. Since I posted here last:

Insured that the steering will fit around the engine/it's possible to put headers on it with steering there.

Acquired ECU from the 91 ventura van (no interlock) and has been shipped off for a retune and a harness build.

Measured oil pan for hacking up and rebuilding and sent off to be modified.

I'm not around right now or i'd post up pics. I'll be sure to put up a bunch of pics when I'm home (in a month).
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

For now this will have to do. Attached is my only picture of the project so far.
Attachments
1004472_10153048257840228_257551709_n.jpg
1004472_10153048257840228_257551709_n.jpg (123.49 KiB) Viewed 9006 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'm surprised the engine is so deep, in that the big crank pulley might be a pain to work around relative to fitting the radiator and fan.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Hi and welcome..

I sort of remember seeing this car in the past on one of the forums but I can't remember where.

Glad to see another east coast 510 owner

I am in Maryland about an hour from Winchester.. Let me know if you need any 510 parts. I have lots of them..

Also, I hope you will join us next year for the 18th annual East Coast Datsun 510 meet (SPEC510) at Summit Point Raceway next May.

http://www.eastcoastdatsun510.com

Keep the updates coming and good luck on the project.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

I'm hoping that the front will have room for a slim radiator in front of that pulley. I've only got about 3 inches to work with, so I might have to move the radiator forewords a bit.

And qwik510 I'll be sure to get up to that event next summer. I go to Hyperfest every year as well, always pretty cool.

I doubt this will be in any finished condition by May for the Meet, but I'll try to make it up there to see you guys anyways.
And I'll definitely contact you for parts I'll need.

The car was on here before when the previous owner was trying this swap. He was unable to make the steering fit (as we now have), so never moved foreword on the project.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Sounds good. Look forward to meeting you.

On the radiator,

On my old V8 510, I was very space limited up front. I ended up enlarging the opening for the radiator on the front support and moving the radiator forward. It still fit behind the grill.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

That is very good news. I'll update in 2-3 weeks when I've done some more work on it. This is gonna be a pretty slow project since I'm in school at the same time. (Virginia Tech).
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

So i've gotten a little deeper in thing.

Recently my Dad and I have:
Gotten the ECU reprogrammed and are getting ready to wire up the VATS bypass for it.

Sent off the Oil Pan to get cut, but it was sent back because the guy didnt have time so now we're gonna cut it up ourselves and have it rewelded somewhere else.

Started looking into routing the headers. I think we're gonna end up routing them straight up temporarily untill we've got the engine to start and we've got all the driveline pieces where they're gonna end up.

Starting to look through all the hundreds of random parts we've got laying around in boxes from the previous owner that we haven't looked at yet.

Look for a real update in a week or so with pictures of what we've got going on and probably some questions.
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

Coilovers and brakes

Camber plates?

How the engine looks sitting in there.

Low clearance side of the engine (driver's side). Worried about the clearance for the steering rack.

Bottom side. Not much clearance between the oil pan and the steering.

Again

What the inside looks like right now

Wheels i'm planning on putting on it.

All comments, suggestions, advise, flaming, and assistance welcome!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

wcrowe wrote:Started looking into routing the headers.
I wouldn't bother. Just adding to your work load for no reason. Headers/exhaust will be one of the last things you do since you'll need to work around everything else that can't be moved. And you can fire off the engine without headers. Doesn't make much sense to build zoomies when you're not going to run 'em.

Have you inspected the engine crossmember from the PO? I'd be looking at weld quality, among other things, since that's not the strongest design in the world. Oil pan's going to be a project, but the front-on shots don't show how much room you have to work with in front of the steering linkage. Stock 510 cross shaft is already formed rearward, so nowhere for that to go.

Thoughts on unbutchering the car? VG30 with vg30.com mount kit (and oil pan and headers) would keep your V6 theme.
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

Yea these shots were taken half-heartedly at 11pm with a phone haha. I'll work on getting some decent shots up in the next few days as we get to work on the wiring.

As far as the cross-member is concerned I'll give a look at the welds and all the get back, I believe he had the welding professionally done, so i'm pretty confident that they're decent, but i'll take a look (granted i'm no welding pro myself).

I thought about unbutchering it and putting in either a vg30 or an SR, but seeing how we've already got the 3800ii, trans, and started with the ECM and all I'm thinking we're gonna give a solid effort to getting this thing on the road. I kinda like the uniqueness of the build.

Appreciate the input.