Restoring a '69 510 4 door.

View and post your 510 project(s)
zKars
Supporter

Re: Restoring a '69 510 4 door.

Post by zKars »

Too many Cross-polinated Datsun support people in my life! Todd as in 'Walrich' is who my fingers spat out, Troy as in 'Emerish' is who my mind was trying to channel. Apologies to both!
Last edited by zKars on 25 Mar 2014 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

While visiting Jim's I snapped a candid photo of the man in action! Whenever I visit someone work usually comes to a halt but Jim kept forging ahead, fun to watch. Cool Zs too, this guy is hardcore Datsun, TO THE CORE!

510 is coming together really nice Jim.

zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Hey, it was a working visit remember? Springs in, THEN we chat.

I think you have a new nick name Jimbo. "PAPA". as in paparazzi! Can't believe you took that picture while I was welding up that bump stop. Nice.

Pic actually turned out pretty well, kinda says it all. Wall to Wall Datsun fun at my place.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Nice and tidy work area...I'm taking notes!! Lovin' the english wheel too!! I want one....just no where to put it.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Big progress over the weekend and last couple of nights

Body work has begun. Found a pretty good dude who's doing the sand/fill/prime/block. Got all panels except the doors sanded down and first round of filler in and shaped. Next weekend is doors hung, sanded and smoothed, then some hi build 2k primer over everything.
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.31 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Gas tank back in, front brakes assembled, wiper motor from some honda installed.
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.33 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Got a replacement tie rod link bar to replace the bent one and got it in tonight. Much better! Any one want a bent one for practice straightening?
image.jpg
image.jpg (91.91 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Rebuilt the driver door hinges, blast and paint of course, then replaced the pins, and replaced the missing spring. Can anyone guess where that spring I used came from? I might need some racing springs, its a tiny bit weak. We'll see how it works on the doors.
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Good progress in the last couple of weeks.

Doors are all serviced, cleaned, internals adjusted, window new channel seals, bottom rust proofed and sealed. All hinges are rebuilt . Door handles removed for new ones after paint, passenger door lock cylinder permanemtly removed. Locks will be remote.

Body has been sanded, filled and almost ready for high build 2K primer tomorrow.

Interior sound deadening applied to major floor pan area, new fire shield built and fitted to tank area.
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.13 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

And the first 2 coats of high build are on.
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.6 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (71.43 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
The guild coat makes it ugly....
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Inner valve train spring?

On your rear fire protection panel, if you have not already, you may want to put something on the cross ribs, to stop any vibration and rattle. I put some small dots of silicone on the ribs, let it cure overnight, install panel, tap lightly with hand, see if there is any metallic sound(s), repeat where necessary.
Attachments
My rear panel
My rear panel
wiring to the left.JPG (240.43 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Keith wins the prize! (have to invent prize..). It's not quite stiff enough compared to the stockers. Put it on a rear door and swapped in a proper one to the driver. Well it was a good idea away.

Thanks on the advice about the fire shield. It will be sound proofed, cushioned, and sealed, yet removable. You can do all that at once, right? I'm hoping....

All those stickers gave me the idea to put something really "unexpected" on the face of it so that the next time I remove the back seat it cause a chuckle... hmmm...
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

You're making good progress Jim. Have you picked a colour yet?
1972 Yellow 4dr
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I hate picking colors. Its down to one of three. Stay with stock blue (or something close), go with a med/dark nice rich green with a tan interior (my favorite Z combo) or if my wife has her way, (that never happens does it...) it may end up her favorite Z color, 112 yellow, like this one.
112_yellow_Z.jpg
112_yellow_Z.jpg (110.73 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
Votes?
housew

Post by housew »

my cars the light blue and I love it, but if I could choose any color, I'd be on your wifes side. That yellow is just awesome.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, you can do all that at once. I just used all the nice Nissan finish screws to hold mine in place, and, gives the panel some good edge strength and seal, for what that is worth. I figure if a I have a fire big enough in the trunk to be worried about entrance into the passenger compartment.......I'm outa there anyhow.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

zKars wrote:I hate picking colors. Its down to one of three. Stay with stock blue (or something close), go with a med/dark nice rich green with a tan interior (my favorite Z combo) or if my wife has her way, (that never happens does it...) it may end up her favorite Z color, 112 yellow, like this one.

Votes?
Hard to go wrong with a color that you or your wife like. Over the last couple of years I been becoming more and more partial to period looking greens of all shades, but I tend to lean towards the muddier greens. Although I do have a soft spot for yellow for some reason. So my vote is for green, err yellow ... no green.

or maybe yellow :wink:

Like the new avatar BTW.
1972 Yellow 4dr
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Well, winter is looming, or should I say, 510 project restart time is looming, and after an extremely busy spring/summer/fall of Z work there is some proper 510 progress to report, at last.

I've been patiently waiting for my painter to make the call to bring it in all spring and summer, and finally, after a somewhat more than gentle reminder of promises made, the 510 goes in Oct 20, with a personal guarantee that it will be done by 1st week in November.

As with all things, even the color choice has changed from the earlier thoughts of blue, green or lime yellow. My good wife spotted a color on a 510 at the Knox Mountain weekend last May that she fell in love with. Those of you who made iit there, remember the colors of all the 510's? No? Well, you'll have to wait until I get some pics from the painter to find out what the final choice was.

All I can say is, my original thoughts of having a sort of understated, blend-in-at-a-parking-lot, not call too much attention color, have been seriously dashed....