On My Dime

View and post your 510 project(s)
WxMan
Supporter

Re: On My Dime

Post by WxMan » 23 Dec 2017 16:52

Holy smokes, it's been over a year since my last update. How the time flies. I haven't made nearly as much progress over the past year as I had hoped... isn't that always how it goes... The time available to me to work on my Datsun has always been directly proportional to my son's napping time. In the past year he has stopped napping, however he now attends preschool for a few hours in the morning. This should have allowed me a similar amount of time to myself but it hasn't worked out that way. I also had a setback this spring when after spending many, many hours sanding, polishing, priming, and painting my wheels I decided to put a clear coat on. Fortunately I only did one at first. To my horror the "clear" actually tinted the wheels a creamy yellow colour. I tried using stripper to remove the paint but that didn't work at all. The thoughts of starting the whole process with this wheel over again made me cringe and I lost a ton of motivation.

Eventually I forced myself back on that horse and started to slowly make progress again. This fall I finally took all my hardware out to get plated which was a real turning point. It meant that I was ready to finally start putting things back together after four years. In the past week or so was able to get the rear crossmember and suspension all back in.

The before and after:

Before I

Before II

After I

After II

After III

Happy holidays everyone!
Russell

Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P » 29 Dec 2017 05:13

Very clean! I'm doing the exact same thing this winter.

Good job, keep it up!

WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan » 14 Feb 2018 19:54

The front suspension and steering parts are slowly going in as I find the time here and there.

Steering box with Datsport Steering box brace.

Front Strut and brake installed.

For now I'm just going with the stock suspension with the cut springs that came with the car when I bought it. I plan to make significant improvements to the suspension soon after getting the car back on the road but I want to get a feel for the improvements as I make them rather than just replace things first with no known baseline. I've only driven the car twice since I bought it four and a half years ago and have no history of 510 ownership so I don't really even know what it is like to drive.

The current state of things.
Russell