On My Dime

View and post your 510 project(s)
WxMan
Supporter

Re: On My Dime

Post by WxMan »

Byron,

Thanks for taking the time to put forth all that advice. The simplicity of the Datsun engine, and the car itself is one of the main draws for me. I love that it has 13" wheels and a 4 speed transmission. I hope to be able to have the stock seats reupholstered and just generally keep the car as unmolested as possible.

With regard to your book suggestions, I have a digital copy of the "How to keep your Datsun alive" and it has been very useful so far. I will have a look for a copy of the Tom Monroe book too.

I had planned to replace most of the gaskets on the engine that you mentioned but hadn't really thought about doing the head gasket. I suppose it does make sense. In for a penny in for a pound. Might as well learn how to do that too. :) I will be sure to figure out if that water pump is OE and see what kind of shape it is in before I decide to replace it or not.

The alternator was another thing that I planned to look into further when I got around to it. I have read a little about upgrading to an internally regulated unit like you mentioned but haven't gone too far yet. Sounds like something I should seriously consider.

The coolant system certainly could use a good flush as you say. I also remember it that last time I drove it a leak developed from the passenger side firewall connection. I need to investigate that and see if that came from the hose or if the fitting coming through the firewall is cracked.

Julian, thanks for the reminder on that spacer. I do recall reading about that somewhere. Is that likely to come with the pump when I order it or will I need to find one myself? Maybe it's still on there? I'll have to check tomorrow.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm sure there are guys in Victoria who can do a good job on your upolstry. But I have to shamelessly put a plug in for the guy who did my seats for the Greg Terry car - James at Klassic Threads in Abbotsford. He's a busy guy, don't expect a fast turn around. But he researched for months to find a matching material for all parts of the seat, and did a flawless job on the seat covers. He also rebuilt the entire spring suspension with two wire sizes larger to support my rather large 260 lb frame. In the end I paid $1000 for the job, 600 for the covers and 400 for the work on the frames. New foam was added and the pattern is perfect. You'd have a very hard time distinguishing this seat from the original. To be honest, for the work done and the quality materials used, I think I did well. And I have a very firm set of seats that will last for a very long time. He did such a good job that I feel I'll have to get the rear seat done to match! I still have the patterns for those seat covers as James returned them back to me if you'd need them and we're getting James to do the work.

Here's a link to the build thread;

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=330

Byron.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

It's always nice to have a recommendation from a satisfied customer. I've got family in Chilliwack so having the work done in Abbotsford isn't too inconvenient. Doing a google search it seems that there are two locations listed in Abbotsford. Do you know if James is at the one on King road or Pratt St? Thanks for the offer of the seat patterns. If I get James to do the work I may take you up on that.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

WxMan wrote:It's always nice to have a recommendation from a satisfied customer. I've got family in Chilliwack so having the work done in Abbotsford isn't too inconvenient. Doing a google search it seems that there are two locations listed in Abbotsford. Do you know if James is at the one on King road or Pratt St? Thanks for the offer of the seat patterns. If I get James to do the work I may take you up on that.
Googled - both show the same ph# and the same # I have on file - home and workshop maybe? But that's the guy, one in the same.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Yes. Home and workshop. I bet that's it. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

So the water pump is off now and it appears to be OEM. The impeller is cast and it is marked Atsugi. As far as I can tell it is solid. I'll have to clean it up and examine it a bit further but I think it will be good to go.

WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

I've made a little progress getting things cleaned up and painted. I've got a new full set of engine gaskets, oil pump, and various other things ready to go so hopefully I can start putting things back together soon. I'd like to put an oil temperature sensor in my oil pan. The sensor I have is 1/8 PT. The only weld in bungs that I can find seem to be NPT. Does anyone know where I can find the correct bung? Even google wants to change my search to NPT when I search for PT or BSPT bungs. There are no shortage of adapters out there but why no bungs?

Here are a few poor photos of my progress.

I put new rubber bushings on the tension rods and pressed in new bushing in the control arms as well. Getting the old ones out and the new ones in wasn't easy or fun... but I got it done.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Stuff looks good, nice to see.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

I decided to take a break from under the car stuff and have a go at removing my heater assembly to assess that situation. Well, it looks like I've got some work to do... Unsurprisingly, that valve is stuck.

WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

I've made a little progress with the heater. I still need to pick up a little 90 degree piece of heater hose but it's looking a little better than before.

Huge thanks to Joel for helping me out with that new valve.

Last edited by WxMan on 15 Jan 2016 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Fantastic job on the heater!! Good for another 40 years.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
James

Post by James »

I need to do that to mine - good inspiration
Finished is better than perfect......
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Very nice job on that heater!
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Thanks guys. Now I need to tackle the rest of the heater assembly.
norcalmike

Post by norcalmike »

Nice dime! Looks just like my 70 I just bought. I love the color. I have blue interior though. Looking forward to your posts.
Mike