72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by Byron510 »

I can barely see the top of the caliper, so I can not verify those. But the strut loos fairly original – maybe with a shorter spring….

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Lol! No kidding! I'm going to need to rig up a tow loop on the front & rear so I can drag the car in and out of the garage using my 4 wheeler's winch without wrecking anything. I definitely can't blast in the garage, what a mess.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

Rush wrote:Lol! I don't know. I had the car at my brother's house once and the city towed it away because they said it was abandoned. Then the tow truck guy didn't want to let me have it back. He tried to convince me that I was not allowed to have the car in town! I told him that I guess I'm fortunate that I don't live in town! I live out in the country where there is no "city" to steal your car while you're at work!

That little escapade cost me over $300 to get my car back. :|
I would've been the 5 o'clock news headline if some jackass did that to me (I'm a truck driver and we are known yo drive into city buildings) lol
Diego.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks, Byron. Is there a sure way I can tell? Maybe a measurement or distinguishing shape?

KOH, I was NOT happy about it. I was angry enough about the money, buy it was really tweaked because he tried to trick me out of my car. Grrrrr.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Rush wrote:Thanks, Byron. Is there a sure way I can tell? Maybe a measurement or distinguishing shape?
A picture with the wheel off can be confirmed by people here.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yes a photo with the tire off will be enough. The stock 510 calipers are quite unique in both shape and design. The calipers sit at an angle relative to the rotor with tapered pads. It was supposed to be a self energizing design which didn't really work and simply provided more flex than anything. Fine for a grocery getter, not so good for anything more.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

That's a strange design.

I'll take a photo if I can't tell once I have the wheel off. Thanks again, guys.
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Ms Rush,
I've been following your build and although it may seem overwhelming at times. Just break it down into smaller projects like you've been doing. My car is basically stock and I've posted tons of pics that you could use for reference. It's Old School 510 in the featured builds.

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Sound advice.

Compartmentalize as much as you can :D

Matt D.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks for the support, guys. :)
I'll check out your build, BP.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I spent just a little time today working on my inner fender well rust issue. I cut out the bad area and made a patch to weld in. So far, this has been the most challenging patch, but, then again, I haven't gotten to the fender support yet... :shock:

I asked my husband to start the welding on this piece because he is a much better welder than I am. I will be doing the rest of it, but here's the start:

Again, not the prettiest repair, but it's much better than the rust holes and I think I'll be able to work it out to look ok in the end.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Boy, I can sympathize with those guys! Lol! Their results are much finer than mine, though.
Actually, my dad was a body man his entire life and he half-heartedly taught me some metal shaping skills way back when. He definitely wasn't a welder, though, so I just learn more and more as I fail in that department. haha! What the heck...it's just metal. I'M smarter than metal! ;) Usually.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Wow!! That car was WAY worse than mine! Dude fixed it right up with basic tools. Great inspiration!