72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

View and post your 510 project(s)
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by PoorMtnKid » 09 May 2015 17:25

Nice work! Getting the rust out is one of the best feelings I had when building my car.
looking for pass. side arm rest

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 09 May 2015 18:42

Thank you. It really does feel like you're healing the car.

Very dirty work, though. On the bright side, I am getting a lovely perma-dirt patina on my face and some nice welding "sunburn" on my neck. We'll call it an early start on my summer tan. :wink:

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 10 May 2015 01:10

I have a skin type that burns so fast – I learned early on in the fabrication side of things to wear a shirt with a high collar, long sleeves or a coveralls, gauntlet style gloves and boots – all to protect my skin. I remember welding up a full cage once in a T shirt in the middle of winter because I forgot my coveralls in the washer at home. Not only did I burn myself a few times from the flying metal, but I severely burned both my arms and my neck – I was sore for a couple days from that….you learn quickly. Those that do welding/fabricating for a living even wear sunscreen under their cloths.

Glad yours wasn’t too bad.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 10 May 2015 20:51

Fortunately, I tan really easily, especially for such a fair skinned person. I'd hate to bundle up like that welding in the summer, yikes! lol!

I cut out another hunk of the quarter and made new panels. They're coming along pretty well & it feels like progress! Yay!

Tomorrow, hopefully I'll get that corner piece welded in.

Oh, does anyone have one of these fittings they're willing to part with?

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 11 May 2015 21:50

It was really cold and rainy out today, so it felt good to stoke the wood stove and snuggle up to the welder.
Here's today's progress:

Starting the forming of the repair.
Once I get that welded in, I believe that's the last of the welding needed on the passenger side.

I also got the windshield out. I was shocked that it wasn't all rotted under there.

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 12 May 2015 19:06

I finished the wheel well patch. Here is the quarter panel patch all welded in.

It'll feel good to move to a different section of the car. :)

Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa » 12 May 2015 21:47

Zcardepot has a heater line elbow for a 510 listed on eBay right now. I believe this is where I bought mine
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 12 May 2015 22:01

Found it. Thanks!

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 15 May 2015 19:33

Yesterday, I took the valance off. That thing was pretty mangled, but I got it straightened out and it looks good again. Also, my new-to-me exhaust manifold came, so the engine is finished. Yay!

Today, I took off the right front wheel. That was a real treat since the lug nut didn't stick out far enough to get a 4 way on and it was seized inside the rim. It took me a couple hours to get it off there, but once I got that off, the rest of the hardware I needed to remove to take out the cross member came out pretty easily. I was shocked! Well, it went well until it came to getting the tie rod end apart. That took me a long time, but I got it.

I found that I have a huge problem. My "frame" is really rusty on the passenger side under the battery, pretty far back. I plan on repairing it with thicker steel, but I'm afraid of doing this repair since it's structural. At this point, I don't have a choice and it's all me, so I guess I need to do some research on the best way to attack this.

Repair method suggestions welcomed.

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 16 May 2015 21:44

Well, right, wrong or otherwise, I jumped in with both feet. The frame repair is coming along. I used 16ga steel to do the repair and as always, I coated every last bit of metal that I could reach inside with POR15 and the repair patches themselves. I welded the sway bar mounting nuts inside before putting the patch in, too.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to have the rest patched in and I can move on to removing the battery tray and fixing the inner wheel well.

This will be tidied up.

2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim » 16 May 2015 22:06

Looks good.

I don't think the frame rails are any heavier than 16gauge so you are on track - using equal or heavier ga. for replacement.

I used 1/8" plate up front to replace the area where the bumper brackets mount, bit tougher in this region is not a bad idea.

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 17 May 2015 21:00

Thanks. It looked about right when I compared them, so I hope this solves the problem. I don't think the car was safe to drive the way it was, that's for sure. Kind of an unpleasant surprise.

I didn't get a whole lot done today since hubby was home from his work trip, but I managed to get a couple patches made and welded in. Tomorrow, I hope to finish this area and move on to the next.

I plan on putting fresh rubberized undercoating under the car when the time comes, so I think these repairs will blend in nicely (or not stick out like a sore thumb at least).

I feel like I'm making progress overall, but going over an entire car inch by inch seems like it'll take forever. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even see it run by the end of summer. I think I need to concentrate on getting the engine bay finished so I can drop the engine in and free up some garage space.

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush » 20 May 2015 22:16

And, now for something really different...rust removal! :lol:

I started on the battery tray delete and inner fender-well rust repair today. I finished the tray delete, but I'm still working on the rust repair that was below it.

So far, so good.

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing » 21 May 2015 07:43

Rush wrote:And, now for something really different...rust removal! :lol:

I started on the battery tray delete and inner fender-well rust repair today. I finished the tray delete, but I'm still working on the rust repair that was below it.

So far, so good.
That's damn good work there Rush,,Will you Marry me? :shock:
Attachments
Bass n beer.jpg
Bass n beer.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

James

Post by James » 21 May 2015 07:53

I like how you are working on this - very cool.
Engine looks good……
So do your patches!
Finished is better than perfect......