72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

View and post your 510 project(s)
Rush
Supporter

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by Rush »

HAHAHA!! Sorry, 3B, I already married the guitar player. :lol:

Thanks, James! They're definitely a labor of love, aren't they. I've had a few guys ask me why I'm "bothering with a crappy old Datsun", and why don't I work on something valuable, like a '67 Mustang. My response is "I've already got a belly button". (So common, everyone's got one)
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

That cat hasn't been following 510 prices lately!! It is, and always will be an iconic classic.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

That's the truth. I was kind of surprised what they're selling for, even in the condition mine is in.

Monetary value aside, I think most of us build 510's for other reasons. They're unusual, fun, fast and cute!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I wander around most car show's, Chevy and Ford's abound, yet.....all the same, no real distinction at all.

We actually get TONS of people that say how cool it is to see these iconic cars, that put the Japanese car industry into North America.

In the scheme of things, there really are not that many left.

Keep up the awesome work.

married the guitar player, eh..damn...I had some fender work needed.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I like American muscle, too, but you're right, they tend to be very "me too, me too!". I went to a local car show last week to take a walk through. I pulled up in our 2015 pearl sublime green Dodge Challenger RT+ and the people at the gates practically begged me to enter it in the show. I didn't, but I thought it was kind of weird because the car is only a month old; I didn't really think it was a show car. I wonder if I'll get the same reception in my 510. haha!

Well, here's the battery tray delete finished, and the lower section replaced. I don't know what that area is called. The battery tray delete was a snap, but the lower section was the most difficult patch I've done so far. Thankfully, the other side is fine! I'll be fine tuning that repair with metal to metal filler so it looks nice when the hood is open. It shouldn't need much, but it's not very pretty as it sits.

I'm VERY glad that repair is done. I've been dreading it since I started this project.

Onward!!

BTW, you guys are a crackup! My husband claims he married me because the engine blew in his riding lawnmower. Incidentally, I did cut the grass today on said lawnmower, so maybe he did...
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Rush wrote:I wonder if I'll get the same reception in my 510. haha!
You won't. Once took my white car to an American-centric (though not American-only, based on what was already parked in the lot) and was refused entry. And this was in SoCal.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

okayfine wrote:
Rush wrote:I wonder if I'll get the same reception in my 510. haha!
You won't. Once took my white car to an American-centric (though not American-only, based on what was already parked in the lot) and was refused entry. And this was in SoCal.
Interesting, I have received quite the opposite. I've been to many hot rod events locally in the Bronze, and have good reception. Even at marque events like Ford and Chrysler events. My father is a dyed in the wool hot rod guy - drives a slammed 50's lead sled. So I've been around the crowd.

Maybe the hot rod guys take it too seriously down there Julian :-/

Face it, we are all burning dead dinosaurs.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Wow! That's really interesting! I never even considered the fact that someone wouldn't be let in to show their car. Since my car will be a driver and not a show car, the only reason I'd show it is because its unusual. It'd be a bummer to be turned away for the very reason I'd want to show it.
My older brother has been into the car scene here his whole life, so I guess I can always ride his coattails into an event if I have to. ;)

Then the challenge will be to convince people that I built my car myself. That's always difficult. Everyone assumes you send your car off to some magical car building place and get it back finished. I suppose some people do; I see it on tv all the time.

I've built several Harleys and people always asked "who built it". When I say I did, they assume I picked out the color but farmed the rest out. Not true. I turn every bolt and lay on every speck of paint. Even a couple show winners. 8)

Well, on the bright side, I don't think I'll have to worry about that for some time!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I took the transmission out today. I didn't know what type it was, but after a bunch of reading, it looks like the stock one. Is there supposed to be a plug or fitting or something in that pinky sized hole on top of the tail piece?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

There should be a little plastic breather pipe with a cap on there.

Definitely should not be open.

If you don't have a spare, and are unable to locate one. I have often seen these on ebay.

Many people have vented transmissions (and Diffs) simply by running a hose connection up to a higher point on the car. a 1/8" hose is plenty, the trick is getting it to stay put in there. If it were rebuild time I'd say tap a threaded hole for a fitting. Certainly not recommended if you are not taking it apart. Diff covers are easy to remove to tap out the hole, transmissions not so much.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

More modern Nissan stuff uses the hose, and routes it up to a metal 180° that gets sandwiched through the top bellhousing bolt.

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I thought it was kind of strange that there'd just be an open hole there inviting debris inside. I don't have the piece, so I'll have to see what I can find.

Thanks guys!
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Over the last couple days, I worked on smoothing out my battery delete and rust repair panel underneath (the now gone) battery tray. Some metal filler, then a bit of plastic filler, sand, rinse & repeat. I think it will come out nice.

Right now, I'm concentrating on getting the engine bay worked over so I can get the engine in & off the stand. Hubby wants us to park the new Challenger in the other half of the garage. What nerve, sheesh! ;)

mell00510

Post by mell00510 »

She's coming right along!!! The Twin Ports will appreciate having another 510 around! Trust me, they love em!!! 8) And it looks like we got a good stretch of garage weather ahead. :cry:
Is summer ever gonna arrive?!?
Is summer ever gonna arrive?!?
image.jpg (59.64 KiB) Viewed 5262 times
datzenmike wrote:Too bad about the fire wall. What does the V8 weigh?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

(looks at MN weather, backs slowly out of this thread)