Forrest's 71

View and post your 510 project(s)
Pista_510

Re: Forrest's 71

Post by Pista_510 »

That brake setup looks great - all the best with the road testing and balancing! You mention adjustment from the drivers seat - have you installed an adjustment cable / knob under the dash or center floor area?

The airbox set up looks good too with nice clearance around everything.

Nice car...
Great_Escape
Supporter

Post by Great_Escape »

Pista_510 wrote:That brake setup looks great - all the best with the road testing and balancing! You mention adjustment from the drivers seat - have you installed an adjustment cable / knob under the dash or center floor area?

The airbox set up looks good too with nice clearance around everything.

Nice car...
I did install a rotary knob in the center of the floor behind my shifter. its real easy to reach in my normal driving position.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

great fit on the whole shebang!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Nice car! How are those cv's holding up for you? Did you end up using the locking plates?

P.S. Love the whole look of this car. Clean and simple, but very tasteful
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
Great_Escape
Supporter

Post by Great_Escape »

Sleepys-14 wrote:Nice car! How are those cv's holding up for you? Did you end up using the locking plates?

P.S. Love the whole look of this car. Clean and simple, but very tasteful
Thanks for the compliment.
The CV joints are working great. With my CLSD the axles do make more noise than I anticipated. I feel this noise is from the axles unloading under sever cornering. The CV set up seems to be a little more free moving than the u-joint set up. But it is not anything I can't live with. I did not use the locking plates. Before I installed the hardware I drilled them all for safety wire. When I installed them I used blue loc-tite and torqued them to about 225 inch pounds, I ran out of energy that night and didn't get to safety wiring them. I have since put a couple of thousand miles on the car and one track day. I have been under the car a few times to check the torque and they haven't budged. At this point I'm not going to safety wire them.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Great job - all you could ask for.

1) Full size and unrestricted air filter

2) Adjustable brake bias and new brake parts that will be available for years to come.

Awesome.

The twin side drafts rock... I'm missing those glorious IR sounding days.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Are the joints making noise? or the splines from the axle into the joint? I've heard of the axle splines being a little undersized causing a bit of slop. I though by buying the german joints got rid of the slop in the joints, but apparently not...
Great_Escape
Supporter

Post by Great_Escape »

Sleepys-14 wrote:Are the joints making noise? or the splines from the axle into the joint? I've heard of the axle splines being a little undersized causing a bit of slop. I though by buying the german joints got rid of the slop in the joints, but apparently not...
I feel the cv's are high quality. The axles did fit in the cv's as they should. I do have a friend who bought cv kit and his came with empi cv's that were loose on the splines and made a ton of noise. He did call the supplier and they did swap the cv's for another set of empi but a higher quality ones. He said the supplier almost sounded as if he expected the call and had an immediate "fix".

With one side of my car off the ground and the other side still planted on the ground I can wiggle the tire back and forth and the slop (backlash) is not in the axle (splines and joint itself are tight) but in the spider gears in my clsd as it should be. I think what I should have said is that it makes more noise than before but not a intolerable one. I changed a few things at he same time when I install the axles, clsd and ring and pinion. I did set the break away if I remember correctly at just under 50# ( I keep a log book of part #'s and other important info because I don't often remember but its out in the garage). I think the tight clsd contributes to the noise. So it does make more noise than before but it is a completely different set up.

I would feel confident recommending the setup with the German Cv's to anyone wanting to give it a home-brew try.
Byron510 wrote:Great job - all you could ask for.

1) Full size and unrestricted air filter

2) Adjustable brake bias and new brake parts that will be available for years to come.

Awesome.

The twin side drafts rock... I'm missing those glorious IR sounding days.

Byron
It sounded so different under the filter that I had to pull over after getting into the gas the first time to make sure everything was ok. It's like a muffler for my carbs.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Thanks for all the info on the cv's. Ive been trying to sort out the best combination of parts for my setup. I am going to get under the car this weekend and measure the angles of the axles at full compression to see if i can get away with just using the type 2 or if i need the 930's. Or I might just modify the subframe to raise the diff up about an inch...