My 71 510 budget SR20DET build

View and post your 510 project(s)
sycklash

Re: My 71 510 budget SR20DET build

Post by sycklash »

Thanks for the input on the bracing guys, I figured I'd keep it since it's already in haha.
and thanks for the info on cells, I guess I'll still have to figure something out there.

Well, I figured something out. I'm going to make this car a little bit more different haha.
I'm also throwing in a RHD conversion while I'm at it.
I'm going to cut the dash up in multiple spots, and weld it together and make it work since the car's not factory anyway and the end product probably won't look bad anyway.
I really don't want to pay the cash to order a JDM dash in.
as for purchasing parts, the only thing im going to need to purchase is a RHD power steering box haha. Going to fabricate and modify everything else to work.

Parts keep rolling in as I have received top-mount manifold, downpipe, tranny crossmember, motor mounts and a few other odds + ends.

I've also started bodywork as I'm going to get the car painted soon and get that over with. I just need to wait to modify for what needs to be cut for the intercooler piping, airdam, and a few other things.
As I said I'm going to be painting this soon, and I figured I'm going to be painting it a nice, metallic copper, with a nostalgic surprise.

As of tonight, me and one of my good buddies(whos probably going to be painting it), tore the car to it's shell and got a lot of work done.

Heres some pictures haha.

I also found out that my struts were cut + welded, which confuses me. It's the 510 bottoms(I know because of the brakes), but did they possibly change the top? I have camberplates and I don't know if it's the stock tops of the struts haha. any info on this would be appreciated
It doesn't really matter though because eventually I'll be buying T3 coilovers, unless I can get my 240sx coilovers to work.
I'll be bringing the s13 coilovers home that I have in the garage, to see if I can mock them in place and make them work without too much effort.
Something else I finally decided on too, is that I'll be using the subaru R160 rearend I previously bought as it'll take the power of a stock SR20 according to a few JDM buddies of mine. It just means it'll give me some more time until I save up enough for a R180 in the future haha
Instagram: @Sycklash
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

PO probably just shortened the stock strut for a shorter insert. You'd have to measure bits and pull them apart before we could really give you any info on it.

240SX stuff has been done before, threads here, more info at Ratsun.

Is the Subaru R160 LSD? 'Cause there isn't going to be any difference in power handling between an open Subaru R160 and the R160 you've already got in your car. You can baby an R160 to last behind SR/T, but how long will your SR/T remain at stock boost?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Love the chalkboard with the list of things to do.... nothing better than drawing a line though things as they are completed.
Andrew
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

where did you get the manifold and down pipe from? it is cx racing?
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

okayfine wrote:PO probably just shortened the stock strut for a shorter insert. You'd have to measure bits and pull them apart before we could really give you any info on it.

240SX stuff has been done before, threads here, more info at Ratsun.

Is the Subaru R160 LSD? 'Cause there isn't going to be any difference in power handling between an open Subaru R160 and the R160 you've already got in your car. You can baby an R160 to last behind SR/T, but how long will your SR/T remain at stock boost?
Yes it is an LSD subaru R160, and I'm going to be running it stock for a while until I have some cash to spend on the motor(I still have another motor to build for my other car, before I can even think about building this SR...)
arabian_ryda wrote:where did you get the manifold and down pipe from? it is cx racing?
Yes they are,
I know they're cheaper, but I figured they'd work fine for now.

Well, we got some progress done on the 510!
The car is now RHD.
The only thing I need to order now, is a RHD steering box. (If anyone knows of a better place than datsport, I'd be very much appreciative haha)
The firewall is 90% done (welder crapped out so couldn't finish it tonight), but everything is welded in for steering column, and brake/clutch box.
Measured it twice(maybe 10) times and cut and welded and turned out good.
Still have to cut the neck off the pedal brace and re-weld it moved over, and cut up the dash, but it's coming along haha.

Started stripping the car down to bare metal, as bodywork is going to be taking full-priority coming up.

I also got my intercooler today, and I'll be mocking that up right away so I can figure what all I need to cut up.
It's a universal kit, but I got it for dirt cheap so I can't complain really.

before:

a little after

I'll be starting to grind/smooth out, and fill the bay tomorrow, now that 90% of it's welded.
It looks like crap, but it'll be pretty eventually haha

Also started making this while I was bored for some of my gauges.
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Been out in the garage for a little bit lately, and got most of the RHD stuff done!, Pedal box is cut + welded/braced properly, dash is cut + tacked together awaiting to be fully welded, firewall just needs a tad bit more done but it sure is coming together.
It's amazing that you can do all this by just modifying the LHD parts haha.

Cut + boxed in the pedal box, and reversed the bends on the arms that are the supports.

My pup really wants to go out for a drive haha

I made a list tonight of what needs to be welded, and that's: Finish up dash, Pass quarter, Driver quarter, holes for bluebird trim in taillight panel, antenna, finish piece on firewall, seams for front frame bracing,both fenders(unfortanately) and just a couple other small odds + ends.
Thats not including when I mock the motor up, and get everything cut out for the intercooler piping, and will have to weld + brace that up.
Once the dash is welded up, I'm going to do some fiberglass work and piece it all together and try and make it look correct. I'm probably going to end up doing something custom however since it'd be difficult to make it look stock with how its cut aha.

I'm still looking for a RHD steering box though, and having quite a bit of difficulty. I've been talking with datsport with no luck so far,watching the japanese auctions everyday with nothing to show for it, and also messaged tokyo2u with no reponse any of the times I've sent messages. If anyone has any suggestions where i can get one, or at least look, I'd be very much appreciative!
Does it have to be a datsun 1600, or would another datsun steering box work easily?

Progress may be slow, but at least it's still progress eh?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Ebay Australia, but if Datsport can't source one for you, there probably isn't one selling there either.

If you can't find a RHD 510/1600/Bluebird box, you're not going to be able to find a RHD B210/160Y box.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Baz

Post by Baz »

We may be able to supply a 610 steering box. This is a direct swap for the 510 box.
Difference is in the ratio. An extra I/2 turn lock to lock.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Oh man a goal of mine would be to build a steering box. Not enough time in the day..
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well I'm still having difficulty locating a box, but I'm sure I'll find one eventually. Baz @ datsport said he put out a few feelers so any helps a plus haha.
but if anyonoe else knows where to get one, even if it's just off a junk parts car in australia/japan, would be much appreciated if I could buy it off you/your friend ;)

But onto the project!
I've just been tinkering away in the garage past little bit and finally got the steering box as sturdy as could be. Brackets correctly bolted on, and it's as stiff as a rock.
Threw the rollcage out of my parts car in too just for fun friday night! It's a cheap little four-point but it'll work for now, as it was free and anythings better than nothing haha.
Also managed to throw the sr20 in finally! Welded up the firewall + seamsealed and primered. I ran out of time to work in the garage after we threw the motor in, but next I plan to mock the intercooler + piping up so we can cut that out, and look at any other modifications that need to be done under the hood, before I finish up the bodywork and throw some high build primer on and possibly even paint under the hood

The dash is also finished(metal portion), I just need to finish up the plasticwork, but all seems to fit well! Welded correct tabs + everything in places they'd work.
My fenders were full of surprises when I stripped them down to bare metal but they're still fixable. The right side is the worst, and I have a few fiberglass fenders, but you know how fiberglass body panels usually mount up... so I'll probably end up fixing the metal ones.
Tomorrow the plan is to do the quarter's and everything else in the rear but I figured I'd do an update as I'm excited to see the motor sitting in there. Still need to bolt the transmission up as we didn't put them in as one piece.

My god my struts are ugly though. I keep looking at the car and realising how much I can't wait to buy coilovers for it. But that'll be after the cars painted.

The dash

All bolted in + solid!

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Nice looking project! I am in the same predicament as you looking for a RHD box, but I think I am just going to source a RHD toyota AW-10/11 rack, change it to rack and pinion, but that has proven hard to find also!
James

Post by James »

Mattndew76 wrote:Oh man a goal of mine would be to build a steering box. Not enough time in the day..
That would be amazing
Finished is better than perfect......
James

Post by James »

I like how your dog has staked claim already!
Finished is better than perfect......
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well I have some good news.
I finally found a steering box! I received it in the mail today and I couldn't be happier to finally have one(I recommend strongly, just posting on ozdat if you're looking for a box. I've had about 3 people since I bought mine saying they have some for sale). Now to see if I can use the stock center-link or not(haven't had any time in garage due to death in the gf's family)
If it doesn't work, I'll just have to order one for an RHD sr20 one from maddat, since I already have to buy an idler arm from overseas anyway.

I also received a new dual gauge-pod that I'll be moulding into the dash pad, my throttlecable/gas pedal kit from datsport, and some el-cheapo fender mirrors that I'll be using until I can comfortably afford the stainless ones. I haven't had much time to do anything since getting the parts other than just be excited receiving them haha.

However, some work I have done is starting to cut out some room for the intercooler, so I can place it in, and weld some tabs up for it. I'm placing it semi-low, and just behind the bumper. I've cut a small piece of the rad support out, and 70% of the lower valance panel up to make room for it. Then it'll be time for the routing for the piping!

One quarter panel is fixed completely and now has a coat of high-build primer on it. Also went crazy with spot putty and got the trunk done with a coat of high-build primer as well!
Just need the other quarter to receive some love, and the fenders now. Bodies coming along so well I love it.
Need to get some paint on this thing so I can start putting it back together!

I'm really looking forward to getting some free time this week and just shutting myself in the garage and getting some progress done. Thats one good thing about winter here in Canada hahaha

Don't currently have any pictures, but I'll grab some this week while I'm working.
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well, I've gotten some progress done in the past little bit!
Both quarter panels are fixed, and sprayed with some high-build, rocker panels have been filled with metal for where the trim would go, and the antenna has been shaved.
The motor + tranny have been removed, and are going to be cleaned up while the engine bay is undergoing it's final stages of work before I can finally spray some color on it!!
Sent the heater to one of my father's friends to have the core pressure checked and have the piping re-routed.
Going to be cleaning up the front crossmember + control arms and giving them a nice coat of paint to protect them as well.
The firewall got a little banged up from putting the motor in the first time(which we learned from), so under the hood is taking a little more work then I wanted, but it's coming along quite well!
Got brackets mounted on for the intercooler, and holes cut out for the piping(still need to be reemed a bit though, as the biggest holesaw we had was as big as the actual piping).
Drilled out a hole for the engine harness to go through, the three holes for the throttle cable + gas pedal, and where the heater's second hose will be so at least the car is getting some progress!

some goodies I got the other day

I know this doesn't look that good, but I've since cut down the height of the gauge-pod into the dashpad by half(just don't have a pic)

The engine bay still needs A LOT of work, but it should be a decent turnout by the time I'm done. It's currently what I'm trying to finish as quickly as possible, just so we can spray it, the bottom of the trunk, and jams with colour.

Incase anyone's interested,
the colour I picked out for the car was Atomic Orange(2008ish corvette copper), with silver mini-flake.
However, that seems to be a little more pricey then what I wanted, so I may go with a cheaper copper with silver mini-flake ;)
The copper I had on my nova was sunburst orange, but I don't reaaally want to copy that haha.
It all depends on how much my other half thinks she should have spent on her to see what i have leftover for money for the paint supplies haha

Anyways, progress is progress and I'm hoping to spray some paint on the engine bay before the new year!