My 71 510 budget SR20DET build

View and post your 510 project(s)
2DoorJim
Supporter

Re: My 71 510 budget SR20DET build

Post by 2DoorJim »

Same issue going on here, my SR valve cover is angled down at the rear but it wasn't until I installed my diff that I measured the driveline angle only to find it's way off.

This goes back a few months but I measured that the front of my motor at the crank pulley would have to come down something like 2" to make the axis of the diff pinion parallel to the trans output shaft - 2" not happening. I also tried staggering the shims on the diff but the tangs on my crossmember weren't happy. Ended up throwing it together, expecting the worst.

I used a Datsport tunnel cover, it lets the rear of the trans come about an inch up past where the factory sheet metal would have been.
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg (208.16 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well, I've been slacking a little bit since my last update due to a getaway trip in Cuba + starting a new job.
I fixed my transmission angle problem though with hockey pucks(canadian fix or what?). Worked perfectly.
The car has it's last coat of primer, and has been soaking in for the past almost month. This friday coming, I'm going to be spending the night with my friend finishing the body off with 400 + 500, so we can shove it in an enclosed trailer at 8am the next day and drive it to my new place of employment to use their paint booth.
Last night we painted the lips on the fenders, and underside of the hood, so we could put the hood back on. Some other work I've done lately is repaint the interior because of all the overspray primer, measured the driveshaft + took it out to a machine shop to get shortened, + other small things that I can't really remember I did.
I figured since this is getting painted, I misawell put an order in so I can start piecing this together quicker once it comes back painted, so I ended up ordering all my gauges(might even be getting a free wideband from my buddy :P), catch can, air intake w/ filter, radiator w/ fans, wink mirror(I just had to. only $20 hahah), top mount turbo lines, thermostat housing and little odds + ends like adapters and fittings. I'm going to be talking to my friend about fuel cells too, so I can get one as soon as possible, along with a fuel pump so I can run all my lines. The plan is to put brake + clutch lines on as soon as possible too.
I'm having a hard time trying to find wheels for the car (want something rota grid/te37 style), so I think I'm going to just end up rolling in these minilights on stock suspension for a few months until I can afford coilovers + wheels.. Going to polish up the lip + paint the centers BBS gold however.
Also on the hunt for seats as I'm hoping to get this going in 7 weeks.

The obviously resprayed parts on the fender was JUST resprayed before the picture due to unnoticed blemishs.

Another reason I'm excited for the car to go get painted is the fact that the garage'll be carless for a little bit, so we can quickly clean it haha.
Instagram: @Sycklash
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well crap,
This happened.

Took it to work at 10am, took it home at 5pm. I love bake cycles.
Spent the rest of the night cleaning up trim, painting random small things, and getting ready to reesemble for the most part.
I think my next big plan of attack is to tackle the heater and then wire it so I can get my dash together, and then do my interior!
Also will be tearing the rear apart soon to clean up/paint + replace my rearend with my subaru LSD.

Progress'll be quick now that it's painted. :P
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

So I got a few things in the mail!
What isn't here, are my new shocks, electrical components, battery relocation kit, fuel pump, muffler, horn and a few other things. Needless to say I'm pumped because the car can go together that much faster!
However, the people I bought my rear windshield seal from messed up and sent me the front one, so I just had to order one express from Australia. oh well!

It's been a busy couple weeks.
me and my buddy ended up repainting my cheap new wheels(they're 15x7 + 25 offset so I can lower my car now at least), rotating my turbo, picking up the bits necessary to bolt it together, test fitting some stuff, cleaning up and polishing shiny bits, printing out wiring diagrams, starting to route brake lines, ran clutch line, cut + sowed up my rear seat, heater installed, tore out my rear subframe, cleaned up + painted/rockguarded underneath, tore steering wheel off(was going to replace but don't really got the time or money atm), and a lot of just small things I can't even remember.

Here's the rearend out. I have to do a rear-disc conversion, but that won't be until next year probably.
The reason I tore the rear-end out was to be able to clean up + paint underneath, clean up + paint the rear subframe, replace the rearend with a subaru LSD, install lowering springs + new camaro shocks, cut the exhaust hole for my new exhaust and stuff.
Well, I'm not swapping out the rear for the subaru one yet because I don't have time to mess around with new axles stubs + changing the yolk so I'm just going to run the original datsun one for now. It'll give me time to save up for an R180 LSD anyway hahaha. Another problem was I forgot to unhook the brake lines and snapped them when the rear dropped(oops.)

I already got my shocks, and springs and I'm just waiting on getting my rear crossmember back with a 4 1/2 inch hole cut in it welded up with pipe inside of it so I can put my car back together.

The plan is to shove my interior back together, do my wiring, get some tires mounted on my wheels, put my doors back together(since I just got my new doorhandles :D), put the windshield + rear windshield in(once my new seal comes in the mail...), cut up + weld my intercooler piping, find some 3" mandrel bends and some exhaust piping so I can weld my exhaust up(since I also got my muffler :D), run my fuel lines + pump + fuel cell, vacuum lines, modify my seats to fit, rig up a center console, and a few other things. Going to throw a buff in there too!
Kicker is I'm doing most of this in the next 15 days due to a car show coming up. Even if its not together, It'll look like it's together hahaha

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Where's the fuel cell going?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Rims are going to look good with that color. I always wanted to go with a bronze/gold color with orange body just could not commit.
looking for pass. side arm rest
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

The fuel cell is going in the trunk in the wheel well (I know it's frowned upon but what the hell eh), and thanks! I was playing around with color combinations and liked this quite a bit so I figured I'd give it a shot!

So as I have a car show in FOUR days. me and my buddy have been working steady on getting our cars done/ready enough.
Progress in the past few days would include, Turbo mounted, Intake made and fitted installed and taken back off, turbo lines ran, downpipe installed, catch can figured out, what I need blocked off figured out, Merging the SR20 harness with the 510 harness, speakers + stereo bought so I can fill a few holes, lowered the car, brake lines all ran + bled, clutch bled, battery relocation kit + switch, trunk cut to house the fuel cell, holes cut for fuel line, fuel line halfly intalled(waiting on a few fittings), doorglass installed(would have doors together completely but the new doorhandles are having a slight fitment issue), cleaned up + repainted door covers + rear side covers, pan made for where the transmission tunnel was cut for the SR20 transmission, routed other wiring, and too much stuff to remember.

During this process, I have figured out I needed quite a bit of odds and ends and hopefully they get here in time. I'm currently waiting on rear windshield seal from datsport, O2 sensor adapter, rad hoses(why no speed shops around here stock the little stuff still stumps me), and some AN fitting adapters.

Also found out today I need to grind some off the tie-rod ends and add 3mm spacers as when we were moving the car they decided they wanted to dig into the wheels which made a nice groove and pushing a little bit difficult haha. little things though, right?

The buddy that's helping me with the 510 owns the subaru in the pictures and we figured we misawell get the cars together in the same garage so we don't waste time getting our cars together for speed sport on thursday. after a few hours, his car's basically already ready to go so for the next few days after work we're both going nonstop on my car(minus buffing and a downpipe gasket for his haha).

The plan of attack for the 510 next is to finish up the wiring completely(which won't be hard as it's basically just gauges, ECU, fan and checking it over left). then sand + buff both cars, finish up the intercooler piping which I started, finish up the exhaust, seal off a few vacuum lines, install catch can, run the rest of the vacuum lines, finish off the fuel lines, install the radiator, PUT IN THE WINDSHIELD + REAR WINDSHIELD, door stuff, modify the seats + install them, lay the rest of the carpet, finish up putting the dash together, change the oil, run coolant in it, and whatever other surprises pop up.

I know it probably won't be running for thursday but it'd be sweet if it was. Good thing we have a trailer :P.

and here's some pics.

It doesn't really look that nice atm, but once it's more near completion, it'll look a lot cleaner and more together. Most of the stuff is just halfly put on currently as it's just going to come back off to reinstall other parts or checking to modify.
Oh well, Progress right?!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Just sayin'...
smash.jpg
smash.jpg (16.55 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
Stock tank, or a similar tank in the stock location, would have been fine in that wreck.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Also, just another safety comment.

I see that you still have the STOCK rear bump rubbers in place. This can be a very dangerous situation on a lowered car and with relatively soft springs.

YOU should either cut 3/4" of an inch off those, or remove them entirely, IMHO.

I suffered catastrophic loss of traction in hitting a large bump at our local road race track, thus putting me into the tire wall at 80MPH. This is when we determined, in 1983, that a quantum jump in spring rates was required, and removed the bump rubber. I was lucky I did not write off my car.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Thanks for the warnings guys, they're definately noted.
I'll be getting rid of the bump stops next time I'm over.

Well, I ended up taking the car to a car show.
...but on a trailer.

It's just about to run though! Just kinda ran out of time.. I just need my fittings to hurry up and come in the mail so I can actually piece it back together. The only things it needs(unless something goes terribly wrong..), are the fuel fittings, one coolant fitting, rad hoses(which came in today), o2 sensor adapter(which came in today, and to finish up a few grounds, one ignition wire and all my vacuum lines.
...also wait on turbo flanges so I can finish up my intercooler piping.
The other bit is once it's running is to nicely tuck/wrap the wires so it looks more appealing under the hood(bit of a mess currently from finishing up most of the wiring).

but here's a bit of a teaser of the car currently.
I have motor shots and more photos, just aren't uploaded from the camera yet.

Due to work (and the woman), I won't be able to work on this for the next week, but I plan on it being drivable by the end of the month.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

NICE!

Don't forget the hose clamps on the inter-cooler...... :wink:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Beautiful! Most of the pics early in the thread didn't show up for me for some reason, but the later ones do. I love the color.
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well it's been a while since I last updated. so here I go.
Spent hours, upon hours going over the wiring, after trying to get it going, and troubleshooting why it wouldnt.
Turns out one big problem is that all four of my coilpacks were cracked. I'm currently waiting on new ones to arrive so I can knock that off the list (and hopefully it'll run.)
Car is currently a mess as the dash is torn all apart with wires going everywhere from the troubleshooting :P.
It was quite the ordeal though, bouncing between no spark and no injector pulse. Going through the harness though, it was easy to spot forgotten little gremlins(like unhooked grounds... Oops.)
I checked the igniter chip, the CAS, and everything else I could dig up on the internet to go over. so here's to hoping it's just the fact the coilpacks are coated in cracks is why it wouldn't go.

Other then that though, the car is buttoned up! ...Mostly
Fuel lines are ran with no leaks (anymore), all my vacuum lines are ran, all the wiring neccessary for it to run is wired up, etc etc.

Once the car's running though, I'm going to tidy everything up as wires are everywhere open, and install the new modified fiero rad so the rad hoses can be installed along with filling it with coolant and putting that slim electric fan on!
The only wiring that needs to be finished is hooking up the tach, and running a couple wires for the temp gauge, oil gauges, and ground the fuel.

So basically I've been watching the tracker for my coilpacks nonstop hoping they'll arrive here sooner.
It felt good to actually change the oil, and start doing a few maintancy things to it though. Getting excited to hear this thing go!, espicially with the homemade exhaust haha.

Anyways, here's some photos!

My poor stock coils :(

And a few more from speed sport east.

sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well, we got it running, and all legal and managed to take it out for two drives!
It just sucks because it broke down for the car show which happened to be the next day.
Fuel pump decided to break down on us at 11:30pm the day before the car show and had to get a tow haha.

Anyways, my buddy and I (who has a build thread on here), decided to go out and get some pictures (before his car also broke down after his like 300km drive to where I live),

From driving the car, a few issues were found, and a lot of them fixed.
They would include working tach, exhaust being too low and hitting off EVERYTHING, passenger side panel, fuel pump, oil temp gauge, ignition switch, and a few other things. Most of which were fixed. Unfortanately the fuel pump and exhaust haven't been fixed yet.
The plan is to get a new fuel pump and hopefully get on the road again.
Thankfully though, we fixed my buddys 510 as it was just the altenator loose and he needed a new battery as it draining so much ruined his.

I've put maybe 40km on this, and it's working amazing for the most part. it goes like snot even just giving it a little bit of gas which is promising haha
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Well, I've had a few mishaps over the past little while but it's heaps of fun that the old Datsun is actually drivable now!

I had some issues with the car. My fuel pump went a little while ago, so I bought a new walbro in-line pump again. Things went well, took it out for a cruise all night and things were great. I let it sit for a few days and then went over to take it to a car show sunday. On the way over, I ended up on a flatbed about 5km from home due to fuel again.
This time I ended up tearing out my fuel cell, Fuel line, fuel filter, and fuel pump.
Turns out, the issue was the foam inside the fuel cell was deteriorating quite rapidly and clogging everything up.
Tore my fuel cell apart and took out the foam, cleaned all the chunks of it remaining in the cell out, blew out my line, cleaned my filter and fuel pump, and put everything back together and took it out for a drive before the sun went down! Never trusting that foam again (now to take it out of my v8 cavalier's cell even though I've never had a problem in two years with that stuff).

Now that it's driving, I'm running into a bunch of little gremlins that need to be worked out, which is perfectly fine. One of the first is the fact I need to cut my seat mounts on the floor so I can lower my seat down to an acceptable level rather than feeling like I'm driving a truck the entire time haha.
I also need to order a front sway bar asap as the big 30mm ish ones I have will not work with my sr20 and no one else I know around here needs them.(incase anyone needs one here in Canada, they're for sale haha).
next is to tuck my wires away so everything can be all neat and tidy under the dash. I now have working signals, high beams, normal lights, heater, and most stock things now!
There's a lot of vibrations and rattling which need to be figured out and remedied but it's still a blast to drive!
One other major thing to fix is the exhaust as it scrapes off of everything when there's more than one person in it as it was only made for a temporary fix. It's three inch pipe that goes under my sway bar and crossmember, as the hole we enlarged on the crossmember was still not big enough to accommodate the 3 inch pipe.