The Red Baron

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: The Red Baron

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That is really impressive. It will be interesting to see what your drivetrain loss is. What compression is it? With 10.5:1 mine will run 94 octane or 91 with a bit of octane booster.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

It was on California 91 with no booster. Compression ended up being 10.3:1. Expecting a 20% drivetrain loss and will chassis dyno that later to confirm.

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

bertvorgon wrote:I was curious about that also, as even with our 94 octane pump fuel, we need to run a very good octane booster.

I do not think you get any better than 91 octane in the U.S.?

Here in NH we have 93 and 94 though 94 is a tougher customer to find, it's out there Oh, and quite a few Sunoco stations sell 110 octane racing fuel because of all the race tracks in and around the southern part of the state. When we drove the 510s and Skyline to Canby last June with Qwik510 Dave and Kenny, for the most part best fuel was 89 with a few far and few stations having 91.
washington.jpg
washington.jpg (199.81 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
LONEWAGON.jpg
LONEWAGON.jpg (141.54 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
C1.jpg
C1.jpg (183.04 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is cool that you can get that. I remember when just south of the Border, there was a station that sold race fuel. By the time I found out about it I was well into just using 100/130, which is now 100LL Avgas.

Interesting that they ran it at 13+ Af, I wonder in reality how long that would last under sustained use. We try to keep our stuff at high 11's to low 12's and we know we can cane on it safely for a long time.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I know I asked Andy about mine running at 10 up to about 5000 and getting to low 11's at 7 to 8000. I asked if we should lean it out and make some more power.....he said sure we could do that but do you want to blow it up?

I know Robello knows what they are doing. I quess it is just a difference in philosophy.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Andy knows we drive our cars hard, not just a quick acceleration through the gears, where no sustained heat builds up.

I would like to see that motor follow me up the Hope Slide and then see how it does...5 minutes at full throttle.

I know Rebello knows his stuff, but, what was really being shot for..a good number on the dyno? Fair enough.

I have had personal experience with a fellow who dyno'ed a big number once, was a star on the stop light Gran Prix, on pump gas to boot, but, when the reality of full throttle racing came about, his engine lasted all of two laps at Mission and was a molten mess, detonated into oblivion.

No being critical, just saying there is a difference in the World depending on how your motor really gets used. That will be the final dictate and one does need to be aware as heat and plug choice will be deciding factors.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Fancy gas, the great un-equalizer.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

All I know is that everyone I talked to before having Rebello build the motor said basically the same thing. TRUST DAVE! Dave Rebello is the owner and has more knowledge in his pinky than I will ever accumulate in my life. He builds every motor for Troy Ermish and many other race cars that are consistently getting 1st on the podium.

I told him I would be primarily driving this car on the street with a few track visits just for run. He built and tuned the engine based on that type of driving. He really doesn't care about getting a high number. It's not like they are all over social media sharing the results.

Ignition system ended up being a magnetic pickup distributor and MSD box so it's possible the higher spark discharge helps with the concerns you all noted. ?????
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It will be just fine!

And Rob, you are right, the great un-equalizer is fuel...but it does put a smile on my face.

Keith Law
wagon jon

Post by wagon jon »

Did this guy ever do a chasis dyno and let everyone know what it made at the wheels before he sold it?
The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.