The Red Baron

View and post your 510 project(s)
TheHeretic
Supporter

Re: The Red Baron

Post by TheHeretic »

Went to Rebello to drop off the oil pan and timing cover for the new engine and was able to see the forged JE pistons for the 2360cc build. Who knew that a piston could look so beautiful?! LOL.

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Installed the aluminum driveshaft a few ago. With this type of upgrade, it was primarily done for the reason that I needed a shortened driveshaft anyways for the 240SX transmission and the upgrade to the aluminum was only $100 extra. The larger diameter over a stock steel one and the lighter weight is also nice.

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

In preparation for the new 2360cc motor, I had the 44mm Mikunis I purchased about a year ago rebuilt. Done by Dave Premo who is very well known in the Roadster community and organizes the Mt Shasta show (didn't even know that still happened). Dave is also the West Coast distributor for Mikuni so knows his stuff!

Full rebuild with 39mm chokes per Rebello's recommendation. Also removed the standard cold weather start choke (California).

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Also picked up the following items to provide more information on the engine and electrical. Used Speedhut and ordered gauges that matched up best to the OEM look. Similar font, orange needles, and chrome centers.

Already have some bumpsteer spacers but will be selling those with the current front struts once my new front coilover system is built. So picked up these from DP Racing.

Surprise! A neighbor who has seen me driving the 510, stopped me the other day and said he had some 280ZX struts left over from ownership of a 510 several years back. I offered to buy them but he insisted on giving them to me! Still dropped off a 12-pack of Racer 5 IPA the next day to say thank. These will be the basis for the new front coilover system. More on that later.

Quick side pic of the 510 as she sits now. My 4-year daughter took the pic and was really proud of it. :)

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

TheHeretic wrote:Went to Rebello to drop off the oil pan and timing cover for the new engine and was able to see the forged JE pistons for the 2360cc build. Who knew that a piston could look so beautiful?! LOL.

Those do look pretty, I wish I had taken a picture of mine before they went into the motor. It looks like your setup will be just about the same as I have. I have Mikuni 44's with 38mm chokes in my 2.3L. What are you using for the intake runners? Your going to have some fun, Mine makes 178.8hp at the wheels
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Will be using a Ray Reed Racing manifold which is basically an early copy of a Datsun Comp intake. Dave Rebello looked at it and thought it would be fine. Yeah thinking my horsepower will be about the same as yours. Rebello will be dynoing it and then I will get the exhaust built and then dyno it again with some fine tuning to get the rwhp number. Can't wait.

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have also made a very similar manifold in 45 and 50mm sizes in the past. Your new motor sounds like it'll be fun. I have been itching to go back to twin carbs myself on a project....might use my brothers car for this!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Nice update! That aluminum driveshaft is pretty sweet. Can't wait to hear your impressions of how it drives.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Bryon - Your intake look really nice. Very impressed with the quality. If I hadn't stumbled across this one for a screaming deal, I would definitely be in the market for one of yours.

So far I can't tell the difference on the aluminum driveshaft at all, which is what I expected. The theory is because the driveshaft is a rotating mass, a lighter driveshaft results in less rotating mass and thus allows for slightly greater acceleration. For a measly $100 extra, why not...
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

While I was on vacation a few items showed up from Australia...

Have been looking forward to the CV Kit showing up for a little while here. Will be nice to pretty much have an install and forget it setup that will require no maintenance for years to come. Not a cheap upgrade but only a little more than the other off the shelf kits available and all OEM Nissan.

27 Spline Inner Axle Flange and Inner CV (JDM S13 Nissan Silva with a CA18DE)

27 Spline Outer Companion Flange and Outer CV (R30 Skyline and/or 280ZX Automatic)

Custom Axles

Incredibly busy right now so these will probably go on as a winter project in the garage.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Very nice! Congrats on getting the kit. You'll have to let us know how it drives once done!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

very nice, i need exactly the same setup.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Don't know why I bought these as my current set is really nice and clean with no cracks in the plastics and nice shiny chrome. But when would I ever find this again!!! Japan Yahoo Auctions...

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Looking good man! Really like that CV axle set up. Makes me want to sell me current setup ... lol
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Who sells that CV axle kit?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam