2 Door 510, S15 conversion

View and post your 510 project(s)
Pedro

Re: 2 Door S15 conversion

Post by Pedro »

muvro wrote:
Pedro wrote:Based on your description did the car used to be orange? Bought from around Dural area?

Looks like it's getting some serious custom work done, interested to see how you guy with the suspension setup, should look awesome.
Yes it was orange, but it was bought from the Northern beaches in Sydney. It may have come from dural before then though.
Chris from Collaroy, has a pimp house. Was your one the auto or manual? (he had 3). I drove the auto one, it went well. Short vid here that you might see your car -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D9PX3EZ21s

Post some more pics :)
muvro

Post by muvro »

Yeah, that's the place, this one was the auto.

I'll get some more pics up tonight. Not a lot of progress this week, had to get on with other work.
muvro

Post by muvro »

Here's a couple of shots from Monday.

Getting ready to jack the engine and suspension into place to work put longitudinal positioning.

Standard radius rod mounting brackets removed.

Pedro

Re: 2 Door 510, S15 conversion

Post by Pedro »

Any updates?
muvro

Post by muvro »

Not much has happened recently, but I'll be back onto it next week. What little time I got to spend on it was getting the S15 crossmember up to the 510 rails and get the engine located in the bay. The front crossmember looked like it was going to be a rediculously easy swap. With the engine in the right spot in the bay, it puts the crossmember so close to the 510 standard spot it's unbelievable and the strut tower positioning, although too far inboard is almost perfect longditudinally. But this is where the good news stops. With it all in position, the only thing that is in the wrong spot is the hub center, they sit about 50mm too far forward.

Possible solutions include, move the crossmember back and move the engine forward on the crossmember. This is a relatively easy option, and given there are no foul-ups with the steering rack clearance, it's a very conceivable option. Alternatively, since we need to convert it from LHD to RHD, I plan on using the S15 firewall section to do this, enabelling the use of S15 pedals, brake master and booster. I can just cut more of the firewall out and recess the center to allow the engne to be moved back the required amount, The only limiting factor is fitting, or being able to fit the heaterbox and A/C under the dash. But I'm sure, even if the plastic casing needed to be modified it can be done with a minimal amount of fuss.

I'm leaning more to moving the engine back for a few reasons. Firstly, the weight distribution will be much better, keeping the engine weight in it's S15 factory location for the suspension loading, whilst at the same time moving it rearward of the 510 engine location. Since there is next to no weight in the back of the 510, moving the engine rearward will work wonders for front to back weight distribution. Add to that, it will give me more room in front of the engine for maintainence, and also allow room for the Intercooler, A/C condensor and the radiator.

These mods are relatively easy to overcome, the biggest thing is the upper mount location. Moving the hub back 50mm, makes the strut stand virtually straight up and down removing all of the caster. I've ordered the coil over struts, and they come with adjustable tops. I'm hoping (I know it's not going to be enough :( ) there will be enough movement in it to get it back. Otherwise, I'm going to have to relocate the strut tower. Another downside to this is the ABS unit. I was going to put it in the factory S15 location, but if I relocate the towers, there won't be enough room, so I'll have to make custom brake lines etc. Here's hoping...

Anyway, here's a couple of pics.

Here's a couple of pics to to show the small progress so far.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There's actually quite a lot of weight on the rear of a 510. I built a KA510, so the front of my car will have been somewhat heavier than your car with the SR, but it was still 54/46 front to rear, battery moved behind the front passenger seat.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
muvro

Post by muvro »

That's interesting to know, it will be interesting to see how it turns out. The MCA struts should turn up in about two weeks, so I might get the car on my scales and see how it weighs.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

My fully trimmed KA car with a spare weighed in similarly. 54/46 or 53/47. I haven't done a recent weigh in since the R200 has been installed though. That's with a heavy KA up front.

I like where this thread is going... Keep up the updates! :D
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

With my SR car, and me in the drivers seat; 54/46 (Motor/transmission shifted rearward nearly touching firewall, battery low and back in a box between the diff and tire on the pass. side, full interior.)
Without me it's 2200lb.
Attachments
P1110886s.JPG
P1110886s.JPG (150.72 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
Pista_510

Post by Pista_510 »

Are you concerned about trying to match the standard 510 front hub location - ie. are you comparing the 50 mm "forward" position on the S15 hub compared to a 510? I would venture that it is probably in an ideal position being slight forward and the impact to move it all back (ie. shift strut towers back, etc) could be quite challenge, not to mention having to compromise on front castor. If you look at virtually every race / autocross, and maybe even most rally, 510 / 1600's that have adjustable castor rods, I would say the location of the hub centre at kerb height would be at least 30-50mm forward of standard position any way. You may need to slightly massage (lengthen or "flare" it slightly) the fender opening for turning wheel clearance (in my own race car the lower front of fender opening is trimmed considerably for clearance of the front outer edge of the tyres). I am thinking the metal working skill you are exhibiting in the rest of this build would may a fender modification a relative cinch for you!

Again, personal opinion, but a front wheel slightly ahead of the "centred" position (relative to the fender opening) looks much better; kind of gives it a dynamic, "going fast, standing still" look that will really set off rest of the car....particularly suiting your concept, I reckon.

Awesome, impressive, build - really enjoying your thread here!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As you can see in the picture, with 5.5 degrees of castor, the wheel is slightly forward of center, I have gained almost 3/4 of an inch in wheel base. I had to trim the forward arc of the fender, to clear the tire, which is 23" tall and a 1/2" front spacer, to increase track also. Works like a damn.
Attachments
IMGP8699 (Large).JPG
IMGP8699 (Large).JPG (398.58 KiB) Viewed 5803 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
muvro

Post by muvro »

Pista_510 wrote:Are you concerned about trying to match the standard 510 front hub location - ie. are you comparing the 50 mm "forward" position on the S15 hub compared to a 510? I would venture that it is probably in an ideal position being slight forward and the impact to move it all back (ie. shift strut towers back, etc) could be quite challenge, not to mention having to compromise on front castor. If you look at virtually every race / autocross, and maybe even most rally, 510 / 1600's that have adjustable castor rods, I would say the location of the hub centre at kerb height would be at least 30-50mm forward of standard position any way. You may need to slightly massage (lengthen or "flare" it slightly) the fender opening for turning wheel clearance (in my own race car the lower front of fender opening is trimmed considerably for clearance of the front outer edge of the tyres). I am thinking the metal working skill you are exhibiting in the rest of this build would may a fender modification a relative cinch for you!

Again, personal opinion, but a front wheel slightly ahead of the "centred" position (relative to the fender opening) looks much better; kind of gives it a dynamic, "going fast, standing still" look that will really set off rest of the car....particularly suiting your concept, I reckon.

Awesome, impressive, build - really enjoying your thread here!
Thanks heaps for the input Pista. Much appreciate it.

Yeah, spot on what I'm referring to. The S15 hub is approx 50mm further forward compared to the 510 hub. Moving the towers back is prob the most involved part, but it only requires the spot welds on the towers to be drilled out and a filler patch to be welded in to basically fill the gap. If I do go this way, I'll be moving the towers back as far as I move the cross member back. I want to keep as close to, or better the S15 suspension specs. As you made mention of, no point in doing something to compromise critical things.

I am concerned with the hub positioning for a couple of reasons. The first is wheel clearance, we are running 16x7" rims, with around a 215/45r16 tyre (dependent on availability). With the hub positioned where it is now, the wheel won't fit in the inner guard with about 50% turn in (right wheel turning left). So to give myself enough room for the wheel to turn full lock it needs to go back. Then there's appearance, the car is predominately a road car and needs to look more road than race. The flares I'm looking at fabricating are a flatter style, very similar to the hotwheels model of the 510 wagon and I'm planning on starting the flares about 1/3 up the wheel arch. The gap at the rear of the wheel to the wheel arch is huge (approx 100ish mm), the gap is just too large.

I agree, it does look good having the wheel slightly forward. Where I eventually move it to will be heavily based on looks, with function made to suit.

Thanks, hopefully the thread will pick up in progress next week once I get stuck back into it again.
muvro

Post by muvro »

S15DET wrote:With my SR car, and me in the drivers seat; 54/46 (Motor/transmission shifted rearward nearly touching firewall, battery low and back in a box between the diff and tire on the pass. side, full interior.)
Without me it's 2200lb.
Nice weight figures there. I'm keen to see how this one turns out.
muvro

Post by muvro »

bertvorgon wrote:As you can see in the picture, with 5.5 degrees of castor, the wheel is slightly forward of center, I have gained almost 3/4 of an inch in wheel base. I had to trim the forward arc of the fender, to clear the tire, which is 23" tall and a 1/2" front spacer, to increase track also. Works like a damn.
Sweet looking car!

Thanks for the specs and input. :)
Pista_510

Post by Pista_510 »

No problem muvro - you make some good points too - it's going to be a bit of squeeze with a 1600, but I 'm sure you'll come up with a solution.....

However, if you end up moving the towers, maybe think about fabbing up front tubs.....like some of our drift friends.....?

(sorry for any photo infringement - just a random web pic....)
Attachments
Tubscont-07-23-11008.jpg
Tubscont-07-23-11008.jpg (92.71 KiB) Viewed 5779 times