2 Door 510, S15 conversion

View and post your 510 project(s)
muvro

Re: 2 Door 510, S15 conversion

Post by muvro »

It'd make the bay look super smooth! As you said, it'd be a pretty tight squeeze. Lol I have a feeling there is going to be done clearance massaging either way.
muvro

Post by muvro »

Sorry for the lack of updates, been very busy at work.

I've had some good progress on the car. The rear suspension cradle mounting points have been fabricated and tacked in. S15 rear strut towers have been removed from the donor car, stripped down and fitted into place in the 510.

The MCA struts and Enkei Compe wheels arrived. The struts look awesome! They are the blue series and the cheapest in their range, but they are well made and appear to be made better than other products in the same price bracket. They are also designed as their road/track unit and valved internally to suit. The Enkei Compes are a great looking wheel, as well as being very light. Here's some photos.

S15 rear strut tower fitted into the 510

Front strut installed. Note the camber adjusters in the hub bolts for the strut. Very clever idea, just swap out the different offset washer inserts for different camber settings, as well as having a large amount of adjustment in the bearing plate. The lower brackets were custom made for me to accommodate the extra angle the struts sit at.

Rear strut installed

Rear wheel installed, the offset and look is perfect. Can't wait to fabricate the flares.

Front wheel installed. The offset appears to be much wider, not sure if it's the body that narrows or the hub face to face width is wider. Either way, I haven't measured as it doesn't really matter (I'm pretty sure it's the hub to hub faces that are wider on the front compared to the rear). I've purchased a pair of Hardrace adjustable front lower control arms, that should bring the hubs in approximately 20mm. Unfortunately, I'll lose 5mm of this due to the wheels not having enough x-factor to clear the brake calipers. So I'll get the wheels in as far as possible, then adjust the rear offset to get the best stance/look.

I've got some more photos on my camera that I haven't downloaded. I'll get them up soon.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Just like Brutus the Barber Beefcake - cuttin' & struttin' !! :mrgreen:

Keep up the brave work!

James
Attachments
WWF Magazine September 1988.jpg
WWF Magazine September 1988.jpg (191.2 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Good progress!
muvro

Post by muvro »

Here's some more progress on the ol' girl.

Firewall reinforcing plate

Fabricated steering column and pedal bracket bracing. I used the S15 steering column for a few main reasons, first is it's superior collapsing design, the standard column doesn't have a lower bearing support, so fabricating something to make it work would increase install time. Finally, the angle of the shaft at the firewall using the standard column was way too sharp. The S15 column is shorter to the uni, giving a much better angle to the rack. I also used the standard S15 bolt on seal tube, modified it and welded it into the firewall, so I could use the standard S15 rubber tube that joins the column to the firewall.

You can see in this pic, the gearbox tunnel and firewall mods.

Gearbox gator, I modified and used the S15 gator and mounted it onto a removable plate. The removable plate gives access to the gearbox shifter plate and allows removal whilst the gearbox is still in place.

Gearbox crossmember fabricated to mate up with the 510 mounting position.

Firewall port for the engine wiring loom, folded inward to replicate S15 port and ensure the standard rubber seal works as it should without sealer.

Below are the upper 'A' pillar reinforcing gussets.

Outer front rail gusset

Front tie bar reinforcement and radius rod bracket mounting.

S15 radius rod mounts modified to suit.

Rear suspension cradle front mount brace. Again, I modified the standard S15 braces to suit.

ABS unit installed and the brake lines mocked up. I use the factory lines to approximate the routing. I'll now make up brand new ones and make them neater.

Mock up of what the flares should look like.

At the moment I'm restoring a Jaguar E-Type, but it's an immaculate car and I've almost done the metal work, so I'll be back on the datto in a couple if weeks. I've started finishing off the rear strut towers, including bracing in between the towers via the parcel tray.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

You are a frickin' genius! That fab work is fabulous!! 8)

Best looking front guard support bracket gusset I have ever seen, very nice. I am going to steal your design.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I also like your tubular transmission X-member design as it needs to take loads in multiple directions, complicated by the factory position of the 510 mounts. Good job.

Byron
Attachments
For whatever reason - this came to mind... musical and engineering
For whatever reason - this came to mind... musical and engineering
Tubular.jpg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
muvro

Post by muvro »

Finally managed to get back onto the 510 for a while, with some great progress.

S15 rear strut towers finished and fully welded in. I'm yet to grind the welds, but that will happen. These are welded through the parcel tray, as well as through the seat bulkhead, which really ties them into the body and stiffens it all up, as well as ensuring the load is distributed well. I've also installed a tie bar under the very forward edge of the parcel tray, made from 3mm U channel. This ties the two towers together, along with stiffening the parcel tray up.

Just a shot inside the wheel arch showing the strip I had to install to fill the gap after moving the wheel arch outward. It also shows the inside of the S15 tower.

Rear wheel arch moved out and tacked onto place. What you see there is the the outer factory lip and the inner guard. I will be fabricating an outer section once the measurements and testing is finished and I've finished the inner guard off.

Front guards are tacked up and ready for final clearance testing.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

This thing is going to be awesome. Love seeing updates.
looking for pass. side arm rest
510rob

Post by 510rob »

nice metalcrafting
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

I love this build!
always watching for more updates!
Instagram: @Sycklash
Pedro