'72 Datsun 510 - Daphne

View and post your 510 project(s)
72Daphne

'72 Datsun 510 - Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

It's about time I started a build thread for my 1972 510. I first got into 510s after learning about classic Skylines. The great design of those cars got me into the Japanese classics. Most of those were not obtainable for me so when I learned about the 510 I was hooked. It was a great looking classic Japanese car that I actually had a possibility of owning. However, these cars are still pretty hard to find if you are not on the west coast and especially living in St. Louis like I was at the time.

I got lucky one day and happened to search Craigslist before I went to sleep one day. Almost jumped out of my bed when I saw a 1972 510 coupe on there. I had trouble sleeping that night and knew that it would be gone fast. It was only listed for $3700 and seemed to be in great shape. I called first thing the next day to see if I could buy the car but was told it was already sold. I was disappointed until a friend helped me out by convincing me not to give up. We ended up offering the owner over the asking price if we could take it right away. They went for it and I bought that car later that day.

Car appeared to be in great shape for a midwest car and was mostly original. The car was bought by the owner's parents in the early 80s from a older lady. The owners parents later handed the car down to her which she used in college as her daily driver. She was sad to see it go but happy to see it go to someone with a passion for 510s. The owner also said she had over 40 calls on the car in the 24 hours the car was on Craigslist so I was happy to be able to walk away with the car. The only 510 I had seen for sale in St. Louis other than a rusted out goon shell.

Some pics from the listing.
1972-Datsun-510-For-Sale.jpg
1972-Datsun-510-For-Sale.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
00V0V_l3DPy7jWPku_600x4501.jpg
00V0V_l3DPy7jWPku_600x4501.jpg (32.89 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
The bad news was that the car had not run for a few years and did not start. The owner let me work on the car and my friend and I were able to get it started once we cleaned out the gas tank and put some fresh fuel in. It did not run well but I was able to get it a few miles away safely.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: '72 Datsun 510 - Daphne

Post by two_68_510s »

Congrats on the acquisition, is the car in LA now?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

Have some additional pictures of her not long after I bought her.

72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

Someone mentioned that the interior may not be original as there are no headrests. Anyone know if this is true?

72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

The car hadn't been run regularly in a few years so the first thing I did was bring the gas tank in to get acid washed. There was a lot of rust inside the tank. Below is the after shot once it was cleaned up.

After the tank was cleaned up I was thinking about a new carb. Forum members suggested I just rebuild the stock Hitachi. Cleaned up pretty well.

Before:

After:
72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

Had some type of electrical short that fried a fusible link. I was having trouble sourcing a replacement so I just ended up making my own. Bought some fusible link wire and new connectors. Del at Vintage Connections was able to get me some of the connectors I needed.

Old on left, new on right

The electrical short also fried my starter. I bought a refurbished unit although I have heard they don't last. So far the replacement has been working well.

72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

two_68_510s wrote:Congrats on the acquisition, is the car in LA now?
I just recently ended up relocating with my company to LA. The good thing is that they paid to move the 510. :D

Here she is getting delivered in LA.
72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

She is in my friends garage at the moment so I haven't been able to work on her too often unfortunately. Right now the goal is to get her running and fix the many problems that prevent her from being a daily. I have some electrical gremlins to sort and none of the gauges seem to work.

Recently I replaced my rear wheel cylinders as the old ones were leaking fluid. A word of caution to anyone doing this in the future. I bought some Dorman W96472 replacement cylinders but they are a little over 2mm longer than the stock wheel cylinders. Doesn't sound like much but it was enough to prevent the wheel drum from going back on. I ended up going the cheap route and grinding down the brake shoes to make it fit. Works for now but I will eventually go back and repair it properly.

72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

That's all the pictures for now. I need to remember to take more pictures of the progress. It is pretty slow going right now though. Once I can get her driveable I will get her to my house and should have more time to work on her.

One bonus pic from today. Went to a swap meet at Long Beach City College and saw this 510 there. Sorry, the pictures aren't the best.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Look like 510 seats, just not original to your car. Early seats didn't have headrests. The Parts catalog shows them for MY68 and MY69, but I'm not sure headrestless lasted quite that long. Both my MY69 (USDM and JDM) had headrests.

Could also have been recovered at some point (hence why you're missing the seat back trim/emblem) and the headrests were ditched. Mounts could be under the vinyl.

------------------

On the fusible link, did you size the wire properly for the system? Typically your link wire would be a couple sizes smaller than the rest of the wire on that lead.

------------------

On the brakes...did you shave pad lining or metal tabs on the shoes themselves? Either way, I'd be worried about shoe concentricity to the drum. Main issue would be reduced braking performance.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
72Daphne

Post by 72Daphne »

okayfine wrote:Look like 510 seats, just not original to your car. Early seats didn't have headrests. The Parts catalog shows them for MY68 and MY69, but I'm not sure headrestless lasted quite that long. Both my MY69 (USDM and JDM) had headrests.

Could also have been recovered at some point (hence why you're missing the seat back trim/emblem) and the headrests were ditched. Mounts could be under the vinyl.
Good to know, thanks. I believe the rear bumper is from a '68 since it has the license plate light so maybe they took the interior from one as well.
okayfine wrote:
On the fusible link, did you size the wire properly for the system? Typically your link wire would be a couple sizes smaller than the rest of the wire on that lead.
I sized it based on the size of the wire I took out. I don't recall the exact wire gauge (18 or 20 I believe) I used but it was definitely a few sizes smaller than the rest of the wires. Made sure the length was about the same as the original fusible link as well.
okayfine wrote:
On the brakes...did you shave pad lining or metal tabs on the shoes themselves? Either way, I'd be worried about shoe concentricity to the drum. Main issue would be reduced braking performance.
I shaved down the metal tabs. I didn't shave down too much and a low speed test drive seemed pretty good so far. More of a temporary fix until I can fully restore the rear suspension and brakes.