"Hey" my daily driven race car!

View and post your 510 project(s)
duke
Supporter

Re: "Hey" my daily driven race car!

Post by duke »

You guys have almost have me convinced to go to 4.44's for next year...

My only hesitation is that my max speed in 2nd will be reduced by 10mph (from 65 currently to 55). I'm afraid that this might actually slow me down in some events, as I will have to be shifting to 3rd more often (with the 3.90 I have in my car right now, I can do most courses in 2nd).

So what do you guys think?

(Sorry for the hijack Jeff, but at least it is relevant to going faster!)
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Jeff....Jeff WHO....?

That is the maybe issue, is where do most of your courses run you? My transmission and of course my gears let me handle low 3rd gear not too badly.

So, your observation is right on and the choice has to be based on what most of your course's run you at. If it was me, I would be picking the ability to use ALL of your 2nd gear, as you well know, shifting both wastes time and can unsettle the car.

For most and any of us, even taking gears into account, the split from 2nd to 3rd has never been good at a solo event. Only if the course lets you use a good chunk of third can it be ok, and of course how much "bottom" end you have in the RPM range. My car sucks if I am down in the 3,000 range.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

HAHA You guys can use my thread for racecar talk anytime!

Duke you should do it! I had 3.7's before and its so much better on the low speed corners I'm almost 2 seconds faster then a guy that used to be about the same speed as me and I feel I can improve on that. I am worried about dry days on our high speed layouts for changing gears to. Although it might be kinda fun. Not shifting at all is boring.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

You guys just need a higher red line. Being able to go to 8000 will fix that shifting issue.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, RPM potential is the key, I can buzz mine to 8,000 also, so that makes up for some gear issues, Heh, Heh...

This also is where a good race clutch setup comes in handy, it's fast and precise.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

funwithmonkeys wrote:You guys just need a higher red line. Being able to go to 8000 will fix that shifting issue.
This is true...but that is expensive! I don't spin my KA any faster than 7000 rpm. I have heard that there is a harmonic that sets in at about 7250 rpm that will absolutely destroy them.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Ditch the KA for a SR20VE Duke!! A buddy of mine road raced a sentra. He said the VE's will spin 9k all day stock! That and the P11 stock ports flowed better then the S13 head he had professionally ported. You will loose 50lbs getting rid of the cast iron KA block. That's what I'm going to do next. Kinda thinking I should turbo it though. Just to make it even more of a blast to drive.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, the KA's in race mode do suffer some major harmonics, you should see what Andy at Specialty does to keep the starter motors from breaking off, amongst other things.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

bertvorgon wrote:Yes, the KA's in race mode do suffer some major harmonics, you should see what Andy at Specialty does to keep the starter motors from breaking off, amongst other things.
He has a nice one sitting on the shelf. 300hp N/A.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yah, that's that race truck motor

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Had a blast at the track today! Got second in RWD. The dude that got first was in the first run group, it started raining as I started my last session :( We will never know if I could have beat him. He's an SCCA dude, they are super competitive and are hard to beat! The kinda guys who don't daily there "racing tires" haha. I did notice that my diff is slow to lock up. I'll have to post in the LSD thread. 4.44's were great though! Somehow I did loose a rocker which I've been worried about since I put the biggest cams stock springs can handle, SR's are known for not liking banging off the rev limiter in stock form. They do sell "rocker stoppers" Kinda wonder if it's BS. I rev'ed the hell out of it today and in the past.

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Had fun in the rain on Sunday!

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Winner winner! Super fun weekend! Won 100 bucks too :)

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Sunday was a blast! 2nd in RWD. I was geared a little low for the coarse layout. Super fun though!!

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Looks good with the trophy on it!! Congrats.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal