"Hey" my daily driven race car!

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: "Hey" my daily driven race car!

Post by icehouse »

It was a good weekend for racing!!! Although my brakes are really really messed up. I'm pretty sure it's the right front. It gets stuck then if I apply more brakes it gets unstuck and usually locks up, or it's my front left and to get it to function I have to nearly lock up my front right. It was killing me! So 4th RWD and 8th overall. Which isn't right. We have another race this weekend but not sure I will be able to fix it in time.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Jeff, just a side note on your brake issue. I too thought I had a strange and unexplainable caliper issue. I was also experiencing lock up when it shouldn’t have been so. After the second overhaul of the caliper and paying real attention to making sure I didn’t contaminate the new rotor or pads - I was at a loss. Then at a track day and still experiencing lock up on the front right, I put a turn on the threaded collar and bingo - the problem was solved. Turns out corner weighting is actually really important to chassis set up.
Just a thought to share my experience.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah I could have the corner weight off for sure. The clunk is what worries me.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Where is the clunk coming from? I had a bad shock bushing once, that you could not see, but, on a good bump it thumped.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote:Where is the clunk coming from? I had a bad shock bushing once, that you could not see, but, on a good bump it thumped.

Clunk is unfindable! I got some axles rebuilt, hopefully that solves the issue. I jacked it up twice over the weekend. I can pry the control arm around with my pry bar but not easily..... It's gotta be slight play in the axle and since I have solid bushings it transmits the sound into the cabin.

Test fit the wheels I borrowed from Rob. Looks so rad! Can't wait to get some new R888r's on it and our narrowed rear arms. Then I will be able to run the camber I want and have the fatty tires. mmmmhhh 225 45 13's!!!!!

mattyhacks71

Post by mattyhacks71 »

That looks sweet. What size are those tires?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

mattyhacks71 wrote:That looks sweet. What size are those tires?
13x7 - Zero offset....

Jeff, I’m surprised that these fit under the front fenders. Currently do you have 205/60’s mounted? Remind me again what you are running for struts and hubs up front? Thanks.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

(Byron, those are your old tires)
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

205 50's on the zero offset wheels. If I had zx struts they would fit perfect. Which I do out in my shed. The back is the issue. Me and Sam have just been super busy with our racecar project and redesigning the front stuff. Soon it will get some sweet rear suspension.
mattyhacks71

Post by mattyhacks71 »

Byron510 wrote:
mattyhacks71 wrote:That looks sweet. What size are those tires?
13x7 - Zero offset....

Jeff, I’m surprised that these fit under the front fenders. Currently do you have 205/60’s mounted? Remind me again what you are running for struts and hubs up front? Thanks.

Byron
Tires was my question not the rims. I've got some ARE Libras too I was looking for reference. Those look pretty small for 205/50 but I guess that makes sense.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dang for being my daily driver I sure don't update this thread enough!!!!!!   I need to be more like Carter, take good photos and write good stuff!!!  Although I do like taking pictures I don't like the typing part, requires to many prof reads.  here are some pictures of things to come on the Tan car.  Sam and I have been working on the rear suspension for far to long (mostly Sam as I could only help so much, he is much better at Solidworks then me).  This Wednesday we can finally put the prototype parts into the test chunk we got from James (the510keeper) Thanks buddy!  If all goes well we can test it out in my car.  Which sure would be cool!!!  The doubly cool part would be if it works I can run the 13's with the 225's!!!!  

Sam's truck doing work!!!!

tack tack

Also finally fixed installed my radio delete panel.  I forgot I even had it.  

Had to put these in too.  Old ones were a bit rusty.  They are missing the chrome that goes over the lens without the chrome makes them looking kinda big, I gotta dig around and find it. 

Now for the fun!  Racing.  3 years now!  So much fun!   This photo is from my last race, at the moment it wasn't raining but really really wet all day.  I managed to pull off first in RWD.  I enjoy rain racing.  every input shows in the rain.  No hiding your weaknesses behind sticky tires! 

This does't include all the plagues, I hate hanging things though, maybe one day I'll get around to it.  

Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

Nice collection. Take pictures Jeff, I never did and only have a handful. We ran the 510 there many many years ago. one heat and the main.
They made us join nascar and made us start in the rear of the field. 30 lap feature got to 5th and ran out of laps.
I think the whole field was vw powered. Great fun. We were just getting dialed in too....
They asked us not to bring the 510 back.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Well after having a power steering assist rack in my car for seriously years.... it's actually hooked up and working!   Yes!   At first I thought manual steering would be better for autox, more feedback which I thought would help car control.  After a buddy I raced with suggested I listen to the Cone Coach podcast (I love podcasts, from science to racing they are all really fun.)  One of the hosts mentioned if given the choice even in his stripped out race only Miata he would never remove the power steering.  He says something to the effect of.  

"Yes, maybe the manual car being lighter and having more feel could do a theoretical do a faster lap,  overall... Although, given the few runs we get, it's better to have a car you can drive to it's full or almost full potential ever lap.   Not hope for a hero run."   

Also note he's a SCCA regional champion and says his Miata is the heaviest one in the class.  Some things he says don't pay to remove.  

I agree.  I find myself on some courses grabbing wheel and just basically turning as hard as I can, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  Also trying to shift can be tricky with really heavy steering.  The race this weekend was canceled due to weather.  I'll know soon how I like it!   I didn't do the best install every.  Just used some junk I had laying around.  Since I will be boosting the car soon.  I figure I can clean things up and respray the bay then.  Some pics of the project.  

First issue.... No room for the belt...

So I just moved the motor back a little haha Seems every project requires the mill.

The lines are of a 86 weird how they bolt right up to the SR pump!

Almost done!

My helper passed out

No test rides yet.  You can see it covered in snow.  My siblings came by and helped me dig it out and get it in the shop.  

It sure does steer a lot easier! Still takes a bit of force. Super excited! I wonder how street driving will feel? hurry up and melt!!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I would have given anything for power steering when I was racing! 9.5" x 2" of rubber contact on the road was a major arm work out to say the least, specially coupled with tons of castor.

My AE86 was one of the best steering cars I have driven, not over boosted and a good bit of "force feedback" through the wheel.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote: 15 Feb 2019 09:43 I would have given anything for power steering when I was racing! 9.5" x 2" of rubber contact on the road was a major arm work out to say the least, specially coupled with tons of castor.

My AE86 was one of the best steering cars I have driven, not over boosted and a good bit of "force feedback" through the wheel.

Good to hear, this is a AE86 rack not the GTS rack though. It's the SR5 rack, which from what I understand it has slightly less assist. Fingers crossed!