"Hey" my daily driven race car!

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: "Hey" my daily driven race car!

Post by bertvorgon »

I had an 82' SR5 too and it was just fine in the steering dept.

I had that car slammed, with again the same 510 springs in the front and higher rate in back, with proper travel, wow did that car handle well. that 3TC 1800 motor was really quite awesome, I put 300,000 k on that thing and it never missed a beat.

I thought the AE86 / GTS is the same thing, the SR5 was the same car, just not the 1600 twin cam and a few other bits. My sister inlaw had the same in SR5 and it steered like my GTS.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

WOW!!!! The steering was great! I honestly couldn't have asked for more. Nice feedback but much less effort to steer. I had a tough time trusting it at first, I was expecting it to nub something out. It didn't though. I got first in RWD despite my R888r's are getting very very warn down. Gotta make them last a few more months though!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Had a blast an the NW Nissan event. They had a autox at the Evergreen track. Of coarse I had to attend. I knew I had a good chance of placing on the way. It was so rainy. Most guys seem to not know their cars limits in the rain. I had a 5 second lead for the first few laps while guys found their cars limits. haha. Brought my boy. Who really wanted to ride along. He has to be 14 before he's allowed to ride. My wife planned on sitting with him in the bleachers during the event. To cold and rainy so they went home. Still getting used to the power steering. Sure like it though!

HAHA he rolled down the window and it started raining on him!

He likes tasting things.

Then I rode in my buddy Aaron's drift car. There are 3 dudes in his team. We were the last car. WOW!!! SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! I'm so building one next! I can see why young guys drift. Beyond fun. Aaron is an amazing driver. He's been driving for around 10 years and still has his original S13. We were inches at times away from the other car!!

gooned

Post by gooned »

Cool stuff Jeff!

I don’t think I’m wired to run passenger in a drift car...
SR20Datsun

Post by SR20Datsun »

Congrats Jeff. Awesome to see a Datsun kicking the modern stuff in autox...
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

All has been good with the car until last week.  My sister accidently backed into the door 😞   Got my boy to call around in search of a door.  This week we should get the new one painted up and on hopefully.   If anyone has a OG paint tan drivers door or passenger fender let me know. I'd love to have the orignal look back.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Jesus! Foot slip of the brake full on the throttle?

To keep the patina look, you may have to pound that out! Damn, sorry it happened.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Byron510 wrote: 06 May 2019 21:01 Jesus! Foot slip of the brake full on the throttle?

To keep the patina look, you may have to pound that out! Damn, sorry it happened.

Byron
Nope it just idled into it. New cars are big and our 510’s aren’t much of a match.

Got the new door stripped. I was saving it for my coupe. So I’ll need to find another left door. Keep your eye out for a tan one. Then I can swap it on and use this one for my coupe again.

greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

don't the coupes have a unique door profile as far as the window shape goes?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

greenthumb wrote: 06 May 2019 23:35 don't the coupes have a unique door profile as far as the window shape goes?
Yeah I'd have to swap that on and move one of the arm rest mounting holes. The doors on my coupe are really rotty, and packed full of mud.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Finally got around to ordering a 1.5" sway bar for one of my 510's. For now it's going to go on my tan car for testing. If it proves itself we will be swapping it onto our endure car. it's a Speedway straight splined bar. The bar itself isn't that heavy. The arms though... wow! They technically don't sell the 1.5" bar anymore but do make a run for summit or so other big outfit. So you are still able to get them it's just not on their site. We have there 1 1/4" on the enduro car already. It fits nice, slightly lowers full lock.

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Time to travel farther down the rabbit hole..... The more I learn about race car handling vs. street car handling the more I realize that giving up a bunch on the street can make your lap time better. Which on paper seems great, until your driving a loud twichy car that catches ruts and overall could be more enjoyable to drive day to day. I've experimented a ton! Which includes extra rear toe in, like Keith. which with my lower power levels I honestly couldn't tell the difference between stock rear tow and mega rear tow. I did however notice my car drives much better in the rain on the street with stock rear tow. Maybe after it's boosted I'll do further testing. I tried front toe out, yuck! Even zero front toe sucks. so much less darty with front toe in, and I honestly don't feel the difference at the track.

Things I did notice, rear damper change, wow! That was crazy. Fancy seat, maybe one of the best upgrades. Softer springs also very noticeable. Steering box to rack, more noticeable on the street but the faster lock to lock is key. Added power to the rack. Also very noticeable. I expected it to take a bit to get used to autoxing. Nope instantly adjusted. Lower gears was also a big help.

My very first goal way back when I did my first rack swap was to get my 510 to drive as good as a new car, well on the street. Which turns out is still my goal. We have a Nissan Leaf, which is about the best cheap car you can buy. It drives awesome around town, great feel and return to center. I'm always telling Sam, "I just want my 510 to drive as good as the Leaf." So we always talk about what could be different. He says it could be the electric steering helping out. I don't think so. Sam's Pulsar drivers really good too. The common theme between the Leaf and the pulsar (besides front drive wheels) is scrub radius. Which many have brought up before. Baz said that's why he used the Skyline struts, they have a higher king pin inclination. I wondered how far off my scrub was. So I made a quick Solid Works sketch of my strut. WOW the scrub is crap!! Check it out!

Most books say no more then 1" I'm going to have to dig out my Herb Adams book!

Sam has higher offset wheels on his car and I can feel the difference driving it.

So when you have a suspension issue the answer is always "what do new cars do." The S13 has a great solution. Kick the strut back to add more wheel clearance to run a higher offset wheel. Seems most cars still use the same method. My plan is to run ZX struts (1/2" gained with the struts) then a higher offset wheel. The other cool thing is since the S13 struts have camber adjustments at the connection near the spindle I can use the camber plate to see what the effects of different King pin inclination/ scrub feels like.

Got these from Rich YEARS ago! Thanks buddy!!!!

These are made by a Z car company. Perfect solution.

Also the Tokico alumni 5 way adjustable inserts suck. Can't wait to ditch them!!
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

I love this idea!

My plan after I'm back on the road was to start playing around with the suspension bits to achieve something similar.
I wanted to design a LCA tu suit the 510 mounting point and Tc rod, but using the S13 knuckle, coilover and outer tie rod.

Or now that T3 has the GTX2 Front Lower Control Arms, use a mix and match of the S13 & 510 bits to achieve this.

I did not go into details yet since this project is way down the line, so idk if its realistic. The advantages I saw with the S13 knuckle are the bolt on solution (no cutting & welding), improved scrub radius and plenty of bolt on/cheap brake upgrades.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

i have two extra left side doors and one right side, if you are in need of a door.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Fred_L-P wrote: 20 Aug 2019 09:35 I love this idea!

My plan after I'm back on the road was to start playing around with the suspension bits to achieve something similar.
I wanted to design a LCA tu suit the 510 mounting point and Tc rod, but using the S13 knuckle, coilover and outer tie rod.

Or now that T3 has the GTX2 Front Lower Control Arms, use a mix and match of the S13 & 510 bits to achieve this.

I did not go into details yet since this project is way down the line, so idk if its realistic. The advantages I saw with the S13 knuckle are the bolt on solution (no cutting & welding), improved scrub radius and plenty of bolt on/cheap brake upgrades.
S13 parts avalibilty is cool! Although I like this becuase it allows us to run any steering arm and adjust roll center.

I don't care for the GTX2 setup. It moves the ball joint pivot independently of the tie rod by over 21mm, can you say mega bump steer? Also I don't see the advantage? They just seems silly to me.