"Hey" my daily driven race car!

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: "Hey" my daily driven race car!

Post by icehouse »

Boy I just love driving and racing this car! It just keeps getting better. Sam and I removed the rack and checked the bump, with our model. Tedious but very rewarding. While we had it out I painted it. You can see it's modified to fit the Orange Line swaybar. So next on our list is building a custom sway bar. Either way I really like how the crossmember looks. Next I need to get a power steering line made.

Boys at the track!

I love these brake pads! I'm not sure how many of you guys work on 510 rear drums anymore but I'be done quite a few in the last couple years and FUCK the auto parts stores shoes! Damn garbage the last 3 sets I've had to grind them narrower to fit the drum back on..... These went on AMAZING!! Also my pedal is actually at the top now! With the other shoes must flex or something.

Also twisted these even though add caster adds some bump steer, I want to see if I get anymore bit with a little more caster.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Nice work Brah! Was that 'The Kid' riding shotgun in that vid? Lots of big obstacles out there.....

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah she loves going auto crossing! I don't see how she doesn't get sick. I do if I'm passenger for to long. Yeah we get some wrecks at the track. It wouldn't be fun if you couldn't total your car :)
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

So different from the set ups we run here in Vegas. Do you guys have cone workers for when someone hits a cone? Also if you do does it +1 second to you time? Car sounds great
looking for pass. side arm rest
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

yeah we have cone workers. Still the cones can be messed up on your run sometimes. They only fix them after each group of 5 cars. Unless they really get messed up. So its kinda hill billy auto cross. I love it though. I did better at the beginning when they had more corners. Well better on the podium anyways. :) yeah hitting cones adds time to your run.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

You need to get out to a track next. I like AutoX for the timing after each run and the competiton. But the price we get charged ( $60 per event ) compared to the seat time from a track day is crazy. Arethere any tracks up in Washington?
looking for pass. side arm rest
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah Sam and I have both been looking at open track days. Looks like there are a few. Gotta sign up! I can't imagine racing on a real track at speeds!!!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Another first in RWD on Friday!!! I wasn't expecting to win, lots of the guys have been running R888's which is a race compound, since my tires are autoX tires I have less grip. Or so I thought. I ended up .1 seconds behind a STI and 1.4 seconds behind a 650HP Evo. Then my rusty 510 :)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Just showing them what you got Jeff, way to go.

You know, when you do step up to R compound tires, you'll step into a new Realm, both with the car and your driving. It's a cool step, and one that hard to step back out of should you try.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I'm sure one day I will get there. I do like that I can drive my car to Canby touch nothing and show up at the track a beat a bunch of fancy cars with race tires and wheels. I do want to build a more "track only" car. I have a shell lined up. Time will tell. If I get it I will start a thread.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Way to go Jeff!! Now just imagine how much you would have beat the pack with Solo Tires....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Track only cars are a PITA, ask many of us who took our cars there know - suddenly they don't get used much!

One trick to specialized tires to use at the track is making it easy to change them. At the cost of R compound tire, you don't want to be driving them to the track and needlessly wearing them out if you have long distances to travel. Oddly, trailers have been the answer for many.

Like Keith, I don't have an interior in the back of my car, so loading it up carefully was my option when doing solo or track day events. However most people like to keep their street cars - well street-able, which usually means keeping the interiors in place for the most part. The answer then becomes installing a very light hitch and building a nice light trailer to carry 4 tires, and a nice light hydraulic jack and a few tools.

These light and small trailers can be purchased for not a huge amount of money. But since most of us are handy, and we also like to drive our cars well, the off-the-shelf trailers could use improvement to be perfect. Hence in our area, a number of guys built solo II trailers using strut suspensions from many different FWD cars that utilized a transverse link, the strut tower and a short forward link, then cut the springs to make them as short as possible and re-drilled the hubs to match the tow vehicle wheel bolt pattern so that everything matched and cut down on the need for another spare. Donors were 80’s Honda, Toyota and Nissan small hatch back cars generally. This gave a trailer build with an extremely low CG, could hold all the weight you could put on it and they tow like a dream. You don't know they are there no matter how "spirited" your driving style is. My friends in Alberta build many of these trailers, and one day for shits and giggles in Calgary, they had a fun event after a solo day where they all ran their trailers behind their cars on timed runs as an exhibition exercise on a solo II course. What a riot. Needless to say, the trailers worked awesome even in this arena. I couldn’t think of a harsher test than that on a solo course to test how well a trailer will track behind a tow vehicle! Wish I had photos; this happened many years ago. However the idea is sound and works well.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

That's to funny! I was thinking if I get to the point of race tires I'm going to get a roadster style trunk mounted rack and haul my tires that way.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Been racing the 510 a bit, and it's been doing great. Had to add an extra seat belt to bring home another trophy! I had to bring him home in the 510. I thought it was cool that Byron was brought home from the hospital in a 510! Now that the car is 45 years old it's even cooler! haha Although I wanted him born on the 17th so his 21st birthday was on friday he missed it by 4 hours :( 9lbs and 21" tall.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Congratulations Gang!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer