"Hey" my daily driven race car!

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: "Hey" my daily driven race car!

Post by bertvorgon »

Ryan, we run 5 - 5.5 to really get the benefit, so go for 5 and try that, worst case if you do not like it is you can go back ( as you made the note in YOUR LOG BOOK ) as to what you started with!!! :lol: :wink:

You can also start a weight lifting program too, as that does not cost anything, start lifting a 510 starter motor in each hand....

Ryan, so you know, I ran over 6 degrees of castor at my height of racing, 5 -5.5 is really not that bad except for the tightest turn.

You will not get much benefit from 3 degrees. Just depends on how hard you want to drive the car, what tires are you trying to maximize on cornering. I run 2.5 degrees of camber up front with my 048's.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I got Bob over @ toyo motors to do an aliment. with the 27in tall 8.50 r14s i had to push the caster to 7 to clear the (clearanced) toe pan. when I picked up the car I did a bit of an arm warm up to get ready for the massive camber. but with the 14in motalita even the 215 r888 will dry steer with relative ease.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I am running 5 of caster and 4.5 of camber as my car sits now. I never have any issue on turn in. I would like to try it with a bit more to see what difference it makes. I really like the fact that my car NEVER understeer and will only overseer when I am doing stupid thing with the throttle.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

icehouse wrote:I really do need to do that. I don't know if you've noticed but I'm not much of a writer. haha. I actually bought a book but haven't written anything. Maybe that can be my new years resolution. With the racing app we use I can even export my times with all the times of the day.
Not much of a writer.... your log book is pretty much here on the forum.

You can start with the his record moving forward :-)

Great advise Keith.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As I was thinking about this last night, it really hit me that trying to actually access changes DURING a solo event is well nigh impossible. You are in race mode. Unless there was a dramatic change and it was TRULY seat of the pants noticeable, many changes were to subtle to to notice, at least for me.

As we had full control of Boundry Bay, we would set up our own test days, where like our driving school, the course was actually broken up into 4 segments, and, we made a 200 ft. skid pad.

Jeff, you a few aaaHAAAA moments there, specially when you changed those rear shocks.

Crowds were so large that 3 runs was for the most part all we got, so most concentration was just getting the three right. Events with low turnout were great, as you could get 6-8-10 runs, then you might notice if you had made a real significant modification. Problem is too, if you are a reasonable driver, and learn your car, most people drop time anyhow, so what was the REAL REASON?

Obviously, one of the biggest factors is just plain seat time, getting comfortable in your car and how it feels over many types of changing track surface and course design. I still swear that the few of us that actually drove our cars to the event, did have a leg up on the trailered cars.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah I agree Keith it would defiantly we helpful so I'm going to start one the next race. The shocks were an AAAHHH moment! So was the 4.44's! Even in the rain I could tell they were way better. The seat helped a ton too. The cams though.... They killed a few races that's for sure! They made the top end sweet but the bottom was terrible, that mixed with the 3.7's my car was dogging. With the 4.44's the cams just sing!

I want to keep track more of my weather changes. I was sneaking .2 seconds here .1 seconds there until I said "nuts to my standard trail braking on the gocart track" those laps I was taking .7 seconds off each time. If I would have known that at the start of the day I would have easily won RWD.

My record for laps I think is 36!! Back when they first started doing this they would plan to spend a day of it. So one of the events in the winter only like 36 people signed up, then it started pouring rain so all but around 16 left. We just drove until our arms couldn't handle it anymore!

Standard days we get 12 that count then we can do bonus laps, I usually do 3 or 4. They don't keep such good track of the cones during bonus time so after 4 its just a sea of cones, it doesn't really feel like practice at that point.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, when I put the 4:6's in, lsd and 20" tall race tires, my car became a rocket for acceleration, even before boost was up. I also ran a very small turbine housing, so boost was virtually instantaneous, totally needing the race tires as it was hard to control. Even then on tight courses, I turned the boost DOWN, to make the car more controllable. No sense having power that just spins the tires, if your tires are spinning you are NOT accelerating and the clock is still ticking!

I out tricked my self with a cam also, crazy top end power but nothing down low

Keith Law
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

After reading all Keith’s notes my take away is that my open 3:36’s could be sub optimal. :mrgreen:
260z owner
510 wannabe
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Idoxlr8 wrote:After reading all Keith’s notes my take away is that my open 3:36’s could be sub optimal. :mrgreen:
Indeed. I have a 4.11 that I am going to turn into a 4.6 so there will be a set of gears available sometime soon.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

funwithmonkeys wrote:
Idoxlr8 wrote:After reading all Keith’s notes my take away is that my open 3:36’s could be sub optimal. :mrgreen:
Indeed. I have a 4.11 that I am going to turn into a 4.6 so there will be a set of gears available sometime soon.
Let me know Norm. If I could order a close ratio 5 speed at the same time that would be great. :wink:
260z owner
510 wannabe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

3:3.....Must be like having an over done baked potato between your foot and the gas pedal.....

I would not trade my short gears for anything, yes it turns some revs at highway speed, but the benefits for most driving far out weigh that. They also actually help you pull more top end in reality.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I went from the 3.9 with the stock 1.6 to 4.44 and it totally changed my car. It's amazing how much faster it got. Then I got my current motor with 180whp. That is when I went to R compound tires. With a 200 treadwear the car was really hard to keep pointed in the right direction. I had a 3.9 in the car when I broke the R160 and it felt really slow. It took forever to pull past 6500 in 4th. With the 4.44 it pulls hard to past 7500 and is still pulling great in 5th.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

ok...THAT'S IT.....I'm really turning the boost up now.....

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

bertvorgon wrote:ok...THAT'S IT.....I'm really turning the boost up now.....
.....l also have a 4.6 gear set that I am going to build up another diff with. I'm going to save up for that fancy LSD Andy suggested.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Allrighty then...the 5:11's are going in.....race fuel...20 PSI boost.....

Keith Law