Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
66DUCE

Re: Another 72 510

Post by 66DUCE »

Got some time to do some more work this past weekend, sanded and cleaned off the surface rust primed and painted with weld through zinc primer on the areas that were to be plug welded (does not show in the photo but masked off the area that was to be welded and sprayed the center and demasked and zinc coated).
Plug welded new panel in place.
Welded the rear brake block support back on and photo shows the extra cutout to prevent debris from collecting.
Figured out what to do with the old horn mounting holes on the passenger side, mounted the radiator overflow bottle. Have enough clearance for headlight plugs/wiring.
Had to cut out some rust under the passenger side rear seat area.
Used a technique that I read about to re-create the original indentation. Used a 3/4" piece of plywood to layout and recess, used my die grinder with a grinding disc to smooth out the contour.
mounted the metal to the contoured ply wood and proceeded to use the hydraulic press to start the process of making the piece.
Finished off the contouring using hammer and dolly.
Finished piece compared to the original, I am not going to put the hole back, not sure if it is necessary? Thoughts?
Welded back in place, on to the next project of rust battle!
Was on Craigslist last week and came across a center console that I have seen used in the 510 and like the look of. It comes from a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer these don't come up often (have been looking on and off for about 4 months) got it out of a local write off, was totally dirty but cleaned up nicely! I also grabbed the handbrake lever so I hope I can incorporate it with the console. While fitting it into the car and being mindful of the short shifter i have for the current transmission, I needed to modify the cup holder to get the console low enough. Now I am going to need to shorten the park-brake lever to suit (more fab work necessary for a latter date). fitted the drivers seat to check clearances, seems like a great fit so far.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Only 4 months till maybe first road trip.......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Pressure is on!!!

:D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Keith Not sure it will be ready in 4 months... well maybe 5! trying to do something everyday/night if possible, as Byron mentioned got to keep the pressure on.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Don't feel bad, I started my oil change back in November, let the engine and cooler drain for a few days...got busy..had to pick up oil from Specialty...Christmas came...it got freezing cold in the back of the plant....my winters SADS kicked in...replayed METRO 2033.....

Needless to say I need to finish the oil change this week or weekend, my headlight upgrade is partially here, so that project will be next when Byron gets some time to point me in the right direction...

I don't think I would drive the 510 to Knox this year anyhow, likely just cruise up in the G and walk the hill again.

We will go south this year a bit more
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Yes I know how that feels sometimes, I guess not having your car at home under your nose makes it harder to stay engaged!
Still reveling from the epic drive through the cascades! Crossing my fingers that my car will be ready for this summer.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That really was an incredible drive, we so lucked out on the road being so clear!

Yes, having my car stuck at work has both been a blessing and a curse, I hope to change that later this year.

Keith Law
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

This weekends adventures led me to move on to the rockers and a really shoddy repair, removing the patch that was just put on to cover up the issues.

Moving on to the area that is more obvious and had not been messed with... but was just rotting away, cut back the rust to solid metal.

Cut out more rot from the floor area to the inner rocker.

made the inner rocker and transferred over and moved back the seat belt anchor about 6".

punched holes for plug welds.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Looks like really familiar territory - been here a few times.’progrrass looks really good. And your obviously feeling good about your metal skills. Coming along well.

It’s great to see these projects being done and recorded here. Thanks for taking the time.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks Byron, progress has slowed this week as life gets in the way.
I have a buddy helping me with the finesse stuff on the body, and he informed me that they needed some work, so I brought over the 2 new front fenders, hood, cowl, and trunk lid for him to start the body work process at the same time we also looked at colors (he was to do a few test panels for approval on final colors).

After using aircraft stripper to remove all paint and factory undercoating there is some pitting on the underside of the hood area this is in first/second stage of high build primer, will require a bit more work to smooth out the pits.

Trunk lid inside was in great shape, sanded ready for primer.

front fenders needed a quick sand.

Then the big surprise for me was that his test panel wasn't so small :shock: ...

Just to tease me even more the inner trunk lid was done as well.

After a few coats of base he laid down some clear, yep I think this is the color we will go with! Something about new paint that gets the blood flowing and the pictures do not do it justice as usual :shock:

gooned

Post by gooned »

Sweet!

What’s that color off?
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks! The color is 2007-2009 Corvette Atomic Orange.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

RAD!!!

I always cut that drain sheet metal you replace right where you started to bend it around the trans tunnel. A big opening helps it not clog up again.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks Icehouse, I will have a closer look at it I thought that the hole was big enough! This will be garage kept now until I decide to let it go, so I am not that concerned.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Started to remove old rockers to make room for new ones.

Starting to drill out spot welds and cut rocker in half to make it easier to remove.

Checking the rocker for fitment.