Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
66DUCE

Re: Another 72 510

Post by 66DUCE »

The final part of the day had us test fitting the patch panel to make sure it is going to work with the inner wheel well transition.

Also filled in the rear marker light area and patched the lower rear rocker area. Used a product from WURTH to protect the panel from warpage during welding. It sprays on like a liquid then turns to a gel. Neat product but it causes rapid surface rust to appear.

defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Super Surgeon. Really nice work. That Wurth product is interesting, I had never heard of it.
See your project is inspiring me for restoration #2 of my car which is starting to need it badly.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Regarding the patch panel forward of the wheel - did you panel beat that yourself?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Hey Byron, long time since we chatted. The patch panels are from Z car Depot not a bad fit but will need a little work to make them fit. They had for a short time the full rear quarters for 2 door but I hesitated and they sold out! I think they are from muscle car GT (same as the Quarters, front fenders and rocker panels that futofab are selling). Last weeks thrash fest got me sick and I have been couch surfing for the last few days.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Another bit of work on the long process to beat the rust. I now have the passengers side completed, feels good as I have not seen my own car with complete metal from front to rear on one side! Had my buddy come over and we banged out another couple of nights work to get to this stage.

Then started to strip the whole 1/4 to prep for epoxy sealer. Today will hopefully complete the stripping process and get the sealer on.

At the same time I emptied the trunk as there is some work to be done under the seam sealer as well some metal work to be done once I get back on the drivers side.

66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Spent the day finishing the stripping process on the rest of the 1/4, seems like it has had little in the way of repairs over the years on this side and the choice to strip was to eliminate the "rust spiders" weird rust that appears under the factory primer layer. This is visible on a lot of areas on the car.

Had to neutralize the paint stripper with water, dry then use a clean and strip puck to re-clean the metal, then hit it a couple of times with wax & grease remover until towel came up clean. Masked the side off and shot the whole1/4 and rocker area inside and out.

gooned

Post by gooned »

Great progress!
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

NICE
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

WOW, very nice work. I can see how mine looks familiar to yours now and I am feeling better about getting things.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks Guys!
This has been a ton of work, but having completed the passenger side and getting it into primer and knowing that it is solid metal feels really good. I rolled the car out of the garage and spun it around and now have to do the same on the drivers side. Fortunately I have already rebuilt the inner rocker and installed the outer rocker so hope that side go's faster.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

This past week seems like every day after work had me using paint stripper to remove the last of the paint in the engine compartment. Lots of contours in this area, makes it challenging and time consuming to remove the old finish. Got it sealed up with epoxy primer.

Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

NICE!!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Progress has been slow but still trying to keep moving forward, patched a few small holes in the drivers side floor pan. Then started work again to finish the structural portion of the rocker where it meets the wheel well. Got that piece fabbed up an welded in place.

I then tackled the roof, after pulling out the headliner the factory glued areas seemed to leave rust traces behind. so used the clean and strip to remove all glue and old paint then layed the first layer of POR 15 on the roof as this was my first experience with this stuff it go's on thin but after it dries it lays out, even though I brushed it on! Neat stuff hope it holds up for a lot of years!

I also tackled a job that has been in the works since I re-did the inner rocker areas, I moved the original seat-belt mounting point back about 6" as it is a pain to get into the rear seats with the seat-belt in its original position and it also cuts across your neck when trying to use the original shoulder belt. I also lowered the "B" pillar mount to where I have seen others mount the shoulder belt to and used a more modern re-tractor (from the 240sx I wrecked) with a proper 3 point type seat-belt. I grabbed the buckles from a 1995 Pathfinder. Big thanks go's out to Jordan as I am stealing your ideas! I sacrificed the rear ashtray and cut the back of it off to just allow the seat-belt to come through.

Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

nicely done.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Did you prep the surface before applying the por15? It's very important if you want it to be durable.

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Metal-Prep

Otherwise it will probably peel off over the years.