Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
gooned

Re: Another 72 510

Post by gooned »

Great example of why it’s called Tin worm.

Go man go!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

gooned wrote: 24 Mar 2019 19:13 Great example of why it’s called Tin worm.

Go man go!
Yes tin worm likes these old Datsuns, the way that the body panels are stacked one on top of the other is bad enough but looks like it sat before the car was dipped?
I am trying to keep the pressure on!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Finally got to the trunk area along the seam where the trunk drop meets the floor, as gooned implied the tin worm was back there too!

New metal welded in (needs a little more grinding work) was just before 11pm when i finally called it a night!

Been picking away at the engine and cleaned and repainted things to freshen it up. Used Imron on the aluminum parts and satin black for block and other parts. Going to go with a different color on the valve cover, so have yet to tackle that part. BTW Factory Nissan gaskets and seals were 1/2 the cost of quality aftermarket pieces (felpro), but my local dealer is not stocking many of these items so have to wait for them to come from Japan.

66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

After considering many ways in which I have seen how to mount aftermarket/non-factory seats and stressing out on which way to go I finally made a decision and went with it. As the factory seat location is good for those who are vertically challenged and wimpy seat frame support for 100lbs or less, I needed to move the seat back about 3" and as I don't want my head to graze the new headliner I lowered the seat frame about 1.5"from the factory height. I also moved the seat slightly to center it to give more room for a decent sized console

66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Last weekend I borrowed a rotisserie and built some mounting brackets (owner of rotisserie had a 67 Chevelle on it) and secured the car to it, this beast is overkill for this little car but boy what a treat to work on the car on its side and at a normal height without too much bending over. Lifted the whole thing with the rear suspension still mounted, loosened all the mounting bolts turned the car back over and dropped the suspension onto jack stands.

I had already started to scrape the bottom of the car when it was on jack stands (what a pain in the a$$) still a pain but easier when you can stand upright to do the work. So far just surface rust has been found still have all the nooks and crannies to scrape off.

66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Finally finished the welding on the inside of the car and painted the whole area in POR15.

Still scraping undercoating off the bottom of the car, hoping to get all looking like this before seam sealer and new undercoating.

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Yeah! be aware that original undercoating as I've been told when I worked for Sun Datsun in the 70's, contains asbestos.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks for the heads up 3 B's! I will keep this in mind when tackling the next section.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Wow over 10000 views and little input from all who have viewed!

Here is something for the couch mechanics out there, and for those who have done body work and paint probably can relate. As stated many pages back that I will not sand blast another car as almost 30 years later I am still finding sand in my Nova (maybe dip the next one?).

I still laugh as I told my body-man friend that I just wanted to correct the issues with the body (my mind was a quick clean up and make it look pretty so I can enjoy the car) now pushing 1.5 years being apart and learning a lot about "just correcting issues with the body". After cutting out and welding in new metal to fix the issues to make the body correct then moving on to removing the old paint it seems like its been weeks to strip the old paint off the body. Tonight, I ran out of the paint stripper that I was using... went to go and get the same stripper that I had been using to discover that the shelf was empty. Parts guy behind the counter suggested another brand that they keep off the shelf.

Lets go back to March 2018, Mechanical guy asks body guy friend what paint stripper to use? Get the one with the "airplane on it" mechanical guy at parts store they only have paint stripper but I don't see an airplane on it? Buy it anyway (never used paint stripper before but heard its a lot of work) back at home start process of stripping seems to take quite a bit of effort to strip (but remember, I heard its a lot of work) keep stripping other parts of car (with a lot of effort).

Fast forward to today... go to parts store to pick up some more paint stripper (of course only need a small amount to finish stripping car) put paint stripper on already treated areas that had "old paint stripper" it raised it as well as the untreated areas, including the areas that had primer and paint. "Old stripper" would barely remove a layer at a time if that. New stripper is very efficient at removing paint (imagine that!)

Guess what its the one with the airplane on it!

Moral of the story is to listen to the experts in their field and don't settle for what is available on the shelf!
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Haha, I'm about to start stripping my old paint this summer. I'll make sure its the one with the airplane on it!
gooned

Post by gooned »

That’s a great example of “the right product” making the difference to the job, hope the last push goes easy!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Great job! Wish I had a rotisserie when I did the bottom of my car. Keep up the good work.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Fred_L-P wrote: 12 May 2019 10:01 Haha, I'm about to start stripping my old paint this summer. I'll make sure its the one with the airplane on it!
Yes about as much fun as a visit to the dentist :?
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 12 May 2019 11:33 Great job! Wish I had a rotisserie when I did the bottom of my car. Keep up the good work.
I thought the use of a hoist would be about the same... but there's something about not loosing feeling in your arms above your head for hours on end!
Thanks its been a long week/weekend hopefully can move to the next stage very soon...
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

gooned wrote: 12 May 2019 11:13 That’s a great example of “the right product” making the difference to the job, hope the last push goes easy!
Sooo much easier when the right products are used... just like the right tools when wrenching on your car make your life that much easier.