Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
66DUCE

Re: Another 72 510

Post by 66DUCE »

Needed to do a few adjustments to the exhaust before installing the transmission. I ran out of time yesterday all that is left is to top up the trans fluid and test drive.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Nice rebuild. anything special about doing that job, special pullers or methods of pulling (heat/cold)? Lash adjustment etc?
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Nice progress!

Where did you get the bearing 'kit' for the tranny, and what reference/documentation did you use to pull it apart? I'm thinking of doing the same this winter.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Any idea where the loose balls went? Did they come out when you popped open the case?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

defdes wrote:Nice rebuild. anything special about doing that job, special pullers or methods of pulling (heat/cold)? Lash adjustment etc?
Yes you need a good set of pullers and a press helps. Having such a long output on the main shaft you need to use extenders to pull the bearings and gears. The toughest one was the 5th/rev hub assembly it has a press fit collar on the main shaft. The hub itself is splined to the main shaft.
Nissan service info for reassembly mentions to press the main shaft and counter-shaft into the separator plate simultaneously (very tricky as the geartrain needs to be moved from mainshaft-counter-shaft back and fourth as you press only a small amount each time) with this trans the output is 18" long and counter shaft is only 4" so you need to use different length pressing tools or as I was taught by an old school trans guy to leave the separator plate mounted in the vise insert both mainshaft and counter shaft into their support bearings, pull on output/counter-shaft while using a dead blow hammer to tap on the separator plate, again you need to pull each shaft in equal amounts. The nice thing about the design of this trans is you can see everything, unlike say a Borg Warner where the geartrain gets put inside the case, countershaft has to be placed at the bottom of the case mainshaft gets inserted then you need to lift the countershaft in mesh with main shaft while not dropping any of the needle bearings or thrust washers!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

DADZSUN wrote:Nice progress!

Where did you get the bearing 'kit' for the tranny, and what reference/documentation did you use to pull it apart? I'm thinking of doing the same this winter.
I got the kit from a local transmission supply place, helps to have knowledgeable people to obtain the parts as I priced out the bearings separately and would have been twice the cost!
I used All Data as a basic resource I have done a few in my career so wasn't to afraid to tackle. This service does require special pullers and a careful organized fashion so no parts will be put back on in the wrong direction.(very easy to do)
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

okayfine wrote:Any idea where the loose balls went? Did they come out when you popped open the case?
Yes there were those missing parts that did worry me but careful inspection of all the gears/shift components showed no damage. Nice that all those pieces are heavy and fell to the bottom of the case where the magnetic drain plug held them there. I would assume before I got the 240 I got this setup out of, someone at least serviced the trans and removed the big bits! :roll: I guess they put oil back in and hoped for the best! Although this trans was very noisy it still shifted/preformed fine!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Have been putting lots of miles on the car, try to drive it whenever I get a chance... neat to scope out new roads with nice tight corners to work the suspension!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Drive to Fort Casey with the crew, maybe?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29111

:D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Ya I did see that, I am on another trip, I drove the car up today to Lake Country (Okanagan) even surprised me how well it ran even in 29* heat as we drove through Kelowna.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

So I am in the process of getting my speedo working I disassembled the instrument cluster to see if the S-13 speedo will work, in the process I decided to restore the gage lenses. This is ultimately what I would like. As you can see the S-13 gage is larger than the tunnel/housing and some of the increments are covered.
I am using a headlight restoration kit from 3M. The lenses on the right has yet to be prepared, ones on the left have had the first stage of sanding done. The kit has 500, 800, 3000 grit and a polishing compound that you put on a sponge and finally a wax to protect the lense. as the lense was not in too bad shape I decided to start with the 800 grit then used the 3000 and polishing compound and wax
Close up view of lense after the 800... this is a little nerve racking as you are putting scratches in the lense and at this point in the process looks like it is ruined!
Here is a close up of the lense after using the polishing compound.
Now this one has had the final step which was to use the provided wax in the kit.
Here is the completed and assembled gage cluster, it is hard to get a pic of it without the glare of my overhead lights.
Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Pre-disassembly Photos.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

qwik510 wrote:You are half way there.
When you have a picture opened in Photobucket, copy the image code
and paste it in the text area of your post.

The image will show up there.

See example above.

Nice looking dime to start with.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Just spent a couple of hours fixing the broken links to all my photos, glad I only have 2 pages and not too many photos...
Started the disassembly process as part of the winter project. Got new front fenders from Futofab wanted to see them mounted after a couple of hours working.
Floor is not too bad one hole on drivers side rear foot well ( making a template for hole) no its not that big maybe 3" by 4" after all rust cut out and back to solid metal.
Cleaned out all the factory sound deadening and found another hole about the size of a nickel.
you can see patch installed on rear floor.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Man that floor is solid!

Keep it going...