The 70 510 project

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: The 70 510 project

Post by Byron510 »

Looks like you routed the wiring the exact same way I did on the Bronze build back in the early 2000's. I also remember adding about 1' to the harness. I assume you placed the fuse box in the kick panel on the pass side?

Regarding the large hole and paint, not to worry too much. I'll bet you could find a nice rubber floor grommet/plug that will seal up the hole for you, and you won't have to worry about paint then.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I've got a wire tuck on my next winter project list so would love some more details and pics of what was done and where the hole in the fender was drilled. So Matt or Byron, any good pics or details/tips?

Thanks!
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

Byron510 wrote:Looks like you routed the wiring the exact same way I did on the Bronze build back in the early 2000's. I also remember adding about 1' to the harness. I assume you placed the fuse box in the kick panel on the pass side?

Regarding the large hole and paint, not to worry too much. I'll bet you could find a nice rubber floor grommet/plug that will seal up the hole for you, and you won't have to worry about paint then.

Byron
Yep i have the fuse box mounted to the passenger side kick panel and then the wires go out the lower a pillar and i extended them in the section that is under the fender, then they pop back into the engine bay right under the core support. Byron do you know of a source for the rubber floor grommets? I need some replacement ones for my floor as well. My local hardware store had them but they didn't go up in size big enough for the floor plugs and that hole in the firewall is a bit bigger than that.
TheHeretic wrote:I've got a wire tuck on my next winter project list so would love some more details and pics of what was done and where the hole in the fender was drilled. So Matt or Byron, any good pics or details/tips?

Thanks!
The wire tuck on these cars is a simple as it gets, i think it only ends up being 10 wires or so that actually get tucked and have to be run to the front of the engine bay. There is already a hole in the interior lower a pillar that i used and then you have to drill a hole at the exterior in the same area to run them out.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

TheHeretic wrote:I've got a wire tuck on my next winter project list so would love some more details and pics of what was done and where the hole in the fender was drilled. So Matt or Byron, any good pics or details/tips?

Thanks!
I concur. I would be extremely grateful if someone decided to write up a How-To with some good photos. Electrical is intimidating, a How-To on the wiretuck would - as some would say - pull the curtain back a little.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

loungin112 wrote:

Thanks!
I concur. I would be extremely grateful if someone decided to write up a How-To with some good photos. Electrical is intimidating, a How-To on the wiretuck would - as some would say - pull the curtain back a little.

After I get my wiring all finalized and sorted I will post some photos of just the wire tuck and what I did.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Many thanks!
Button

Post by Button »

That's looking nice Matt. I too would be interested in seeing more of how you did your wire tuck. I cleaned up a bit of the wiring on mine like running the wiper motor wires back in through the fire wall and under the dash so I didn't have to run it across to the power block but I didn't do as an extensive job as you.

Keep up the good work.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

My new battery came the mail today. I think Im going to mount it under the passenger seat. I've seen a couple 510 guys do that and it looks pretty slick, plus it means my battery cables will be 3ft at most, much better than running cables all the way back to the trunk and more cost effective as well. Also ordered some tires today for my SSR's. It will be nice to roll it around with out having to air the tires up everytime (the wheels and tires i currently have are all mixed and matched and none of the tires hold air).
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

Had today off and spent most of my time working on the 510. First I made a battery mount/tie down for underneath the passenger seat.
I had this thick rubber laying around so i used it between the battery and the floor.
I unfortunately forgot to get a picture of the thing before i put the passenger seat back in...
Then I gave the car a quick alignment cause I was tired of struggling rolling it around since its alignment was so far off after lowering it. While taking a beer brake i was looking through some of the boxes of stuff that had come with the car and I found a throttle pedal that looked like it was going to work with the cable setup on the l20. The only issue was it didnt mount up to the factory 510 mounting spot so I ended up making this little relocation bracket that bolts to the factory setup and offsets the mount to the left. With the relocation bracket the pedal lines up perfectly with the hole in the firewall. The three larger holes on the right are for the 510 side. I recessed the holes so the machine screws would sit flat with the bracket surface. The two holes to the left are for the throttle pedal. Drilled and tapped using m6x1.0. Luckily as a former Subaru technician I saved any bolts I had over the years and now have a pretty healthy collection of M4x1.0, M6x1.0, M8x1.25, M10x1.25 and a few larger sizes that arent has handy. Makes for less trips to the hardware store.
ImageImage
You'll have to excuse the previous owners poor patch job next to the throttle pedal, haven't fixed that one yet.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

I have been picking away at the wiring over the past couple of days and trying to undo years and years of poor wiring and figure out what was done.
Every time I even look at a plug wrong it turns to dust. The ignition plug was already missing a portion and is starting to decay along the lower terminal.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

You need to get some new connectors from;
http://www.vintageconnections.com

Good stuff!
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I had mine mounted under the seat as well. Didn't last long....PITA everytime I needed to disconnect it. Plus started considering the bad scenarios of a tool rolling around and touching both the positive and negative at the same time or someone in the back seat kicking the battery...etc.

Moved it to the back....feel much better now.

Before

After
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

[quote="TheHeretic"]I had mine mounted under the seat as well. Didn't last long....PITA everytime I needed to disconnect it. Plus started considering the bad scenarios of a tool rolling around and touching both the positive and negative at the same time or someone in the back seat kicking the battery...etc.

Moved it to the back....feel much better now.

That first picture is the one that gave me the idea to mount mine under the seat. Although I mounted mine a little different than yours. My terminals are facing the trans tunnel and the positive will have a rubber boot over the terminal to protect it from arching. Something like this (http://importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info.asp?id=10049)
I do pretty much have to remove the seat though anytime I need to do anything with the battery which is a little bit of a pain. With your battery mounted in the trunk do you have a slow crank?