View and post your 510 project(s)
DADZSUN
Supporter

Re: Five-Hundred and Ten

Post by DADZSUN »

Awesome build and great pics!

Congrats on getting her on the road.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
CP

Post by CP »

Very nice work. I notice a few pics back in your trunk you have what looks like a battery disconnect relay. Can you tell me what brand or model it is? Maybe a silly question, but do you have concerns of operating it with the possible presence of fuel vapour?
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Lordco carries them. Pico or Picco. Never really thought about it. Trunk will be open to manually operate the breaker so if there was vapor it would dissipate or you would notice it. The switch seems to be enclosed and there should be no load on the circuit when it is being switched on or off so no spark should be created. Still a valid point.
If all else fails... try again
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Now the car running and on the road we are getting some of the small things done. Had an alignment done and the car drives straight and handles great.
Since we have the North American Tail lights we took the suggestion from Byron to change the outside signal only light's to signal/running lights. Very simple to do. Change the 1 pole sockets/bulb holders to the 2 pole style. Wire the signal pole to bright flash of the bulb, and splice the dimmer running light pole to the running light wire going to the brake/running light socket.

Hard to see in the photo but signal light panels are lit when the running lights are on.
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Another little thing we got done was getting the Speedo to read correctly. (Got Lucky!)

While driving around I used an app on my phone to show actual speed vs the speed on the speedo.
With the speedo reading 40 mph GPS app showed 31 mph.
Speedo reading 50 GPS showed 39 mph.
Speedo reading 60 GPS showed 46 mph.

Doing the math my speedo was consistently out +1.3 (1.29) x out. After removing the speedo gear and counting the teeth 17 (Black cog) and doing the math (17 x 1.29 = 22) calculated I would need a 22 tooth gear. Got lucky and actually found one at http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/
If your speedo reads higher than actual speed you will need a bigger (more teeth) gear than you currently have and vise versa.

Pictured here are most of the available gears.

https://zparts.com/index.php/2016/10/16 ... lustrated/

Here is the 17 tooth gear and the 22 tooth gear with correct shorter 5 speed housing.

My stock 4 speed gear and housing were longer than the 280zx 5 spd gear and housing. They are the same dia. but are not interchangeable.

You may wonder how so many different size gears can fit into the transmission and mesh with gear inside properly. (or not) The gear shaft in the housing is offset. By rotating the housing you change the distance the center of the gear is to the worm gear in the transmission. It is also reasonable to assume that different gears are cut at sightly different angles to allow them to mesh correctly.

It is important to have the gear installed correctly. You don't want the gear jammed in against the worm gear as it would soon fail.

After installing the 22 tooth gear in the housing I rotated the housing 180 deg to keep the gear at the same height as the old gear. I then used a grinder to cut a new keeper slot.

5sp 280 ZX transmission
3.9 Rear end
165/55 R15 over all diameter 22" (stock R13 is 23" diameter)
Considering all the variables to get the speedo to read correctly I am pretty lucky it worked out.
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

A couple interior shots.

MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Major set back today. Jared was driving the car and got hit and the guy drove off! Yep hit and run. The grey Chevy Colorado was speeding down our road (over 100kph) and went to pass on a solid yellow. The car in the oncoming lane pulled off to the side to avoid a head on. the passing car swerved into the side of the Datsun destroying the driver side doors.

ISO left/driver side doors
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

🙁🙁🙁🙁
That’s terrible!
Hope your boy is ok
cwd240z
Supporter

Post by cwd240z »

Aw man, that's awful. At least no one was hurt.
Chris
'71 510 4-Door Sedan
'76 280z
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

THAT SUCKS!
gooned

Post by gooned »

So sorry to hear, lots of losers cruising around these days 🤬
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

Hope your son is OK and insurance makes it right.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

A few years back I had someone back into my car and do about 12k worth of damage. It ended up costing me $900. Hopefully you get someone who knows what they are dealing with. The adjuster I was working with was great. He even knew Andy from back in the Westwood days.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

That sucks. Glad your boy is OK. Car was looking great and will be again.