'71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

View and post your 510 project(s)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by Three B's Racing » 02 Feb 2018 05:28

Wow your engine isolators are really stressed. Looks to me like all you need to do is modify the steel engine mount to properly fit the stock 510 isolators sitting in their original stock position on the crossmember. This is what I did for my SR but I did it with everything out of the car. If the diff is a Subi R180 you'll have to replace that flange with a Datsun flange anyway as the stock 510 driveshaft won't bolt to it. If it's a R160 Subi it'll go in easily, atlease that's my experience. Only hard part is lifting the diff up into that hole without knocking over you beer, I hate it when that happens 8>) come spring time I should drive down to you place and we can hang out.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

demo243

Post by demo243 » 02 Feb 2018 16:42

Three B's Racing wrote:Wow your engine isolators are really stressed. Looks to me like all you need to do is modify the steel engine mount to properly fit the stock 510 isolators sitting in their original stock position on the crossmember. This is what I did for my SR but I did it with everything out of the car. If the diff is a Subi R180 you'll have to replace that flange with a Datsun flange anyway as the stock 510 driveshaft won't bolt to it. If it's a R160 Subi it'll go in easily, atlease that's my experience. Only hard part is lifting the diff up into that hole without knocking over you beer, I hate it when that happens 8>) come spring time I should drive down to you place and we can hang out.
Thats the plan, take a bunch of measurements, ideally with the car at the shop and rework the steel engine mounts to allow 510 isolators bolted in the stock upper position.

All my diffs are 160s. The Subaru LGT and WRXs all run R160s with twice as much power, in my opinion if your blowing up R160s your trying to do so... not to say I wont go R180 some day... they are more readily available with clutch limited slips now a days.

I might be making the drive up to you hahaha - 510 is down in CT for now... but Im hoping to get it up to MA for at least a little bit this summer. Were in our rental till May '19, but once its up were hoping to buy a house, which must include a garage... or the space and ability to build one.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Soon to be powered by a Carb'ed KA24DE

demo243

Post by demo243 » 05 May 2018 20:00

Finally got some time to work on the dime. Went down to CT for a few days to take care of some issues.

Pulled the engine the reseal the oil pan--- hoping it holds this time...
Image20180503_152105 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Tried to use the "stock" 2?0z trans mount.. but it dropped the trans too far and in turn angled the engine too far back so it hit the firewall... oh well back to the poly mount...

Got a new TPS sensor and adapter for throttle shaft--- and it works! Which allowed me to finally update to a real ignition map. Ill have to screenshot a photo of it later, but its basically a tweaked version of Dukes map adjusted for a TPS sensor instead of MAP. Could probably use some fine tuning, but it works for now and the car runs much better then the flat 15 degree map I was running before.
Image20180505_171845 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

For anyone interested, and hopefully this helps someone else since I had a hell of a time trying to figure it out... Kinsler Fuel Injection sells these TPS sensors, and this adapter for a 3/8" throttle shaft (such as the one available from pierce manifolds) I used the clockwise rotation sensor for my application.
ImageScreen Shot 2018-05-05 at 10.55.52 PM by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Some engine shots... it just looks too good!!!
Image20180413_172927 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20180413_172945 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Also worked out a few other electrical kinks - added a second fuse panel. Got the reverse lights working. Got the AFR wideband gauge working. And finally got my speedo working!!! Ended up being a bent pin in the vss sensor, carefully bent it back and it works. All my gauges work now!!!!

So since everything was working I took it out for a spin ---
Image20180505_200811 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20180505_200833 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Soon to be powered by a Carb'ed KA24DE